What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

LineBall

Juniors
No you can’t. The person who is the tap taker must kick it. This has always been an optional restart and only has to go out for the scrum feed to go with the attacker.

I think that is why he said 'immediately' meaning the person who is tapping - instead kicks for touch. The difference there is that they can find touch anywhere.

Springs09

Juniors
No you can’t. The person who is the tap taker must kick it. This has always been an optional restart and only has to go out for the scrum feed to go with the attacker.

Anyone can be the 'tap taker'. The point being there is no point tapping it then passing to the kicker to attempt a 20/40, when you can kick it straight from the 20 and get the scrum feed wherever it goes out.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06...-trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system

Challenge system - possibly a fan, holding judgement until specific details published.
Yep not a fan all, big no thanks - all unless Ricky Stuart gets to walk around the sideline with a red flag that he can throw down towards the ref that would be funny for two games.

20/40 - nonsense. No one will use this. It has been trialled and failed in QCUP. And why would we want more kick and hope plays?
I ended up liking 40/20, so will wait, perhaps an innovative coach will utilise this well. If they do not bother where is the problem. I like the idea of making wingers stay back so the defence cannot compress so much.

Choose scrum placement - ok i guess? May introduce some variation in set plays. Unexpected but I'll fall in favour of this one.
I like this, scrum moves are the best attacking opportunity, come on coaches lets see them backs fly, I still expect a prop from a scrum in your own half, :(

Reset on ball hitting ref/trainer - fine.
Better than fine, never did like the advantage going to the attack.

"The act of tackling a player in mid-air will be banned whether the player initiating contact is the attacking player or the defending player"
-
This will go down as one of the all time worst rule changes. Mark my words.
The existing rule was well-considered for a reason. This change makes wingers basically untouchable.
Kick to wing, winger jumps, can't be tackled, try. Over and over again. The only defence will be to flood the play with blockers - which is also ugly and illegal.
Tupou is gonna score 100 tries in 2020.
Big call
I think the idea is go for ball or stay out of it.

I do agree this will cause much debate.

Canard

Immortal
So will defenders just have to stand there whilst attacking wingers catch the ball and score?

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyone can be the 'tap taker'. The point being there is no point tapping it then passing to the kicker to attempt a 20/40, when you can kick it straight from the 20 and get the scrum feed wherever it goes out.

Good point.
Really the only use for this is if you've had 4 tackles in your end and still somehow haven't crossed the 20, and you're totally desperate.
If you've got more than 1 tackle in hand, you would obviously try to gain another 15-20m and go for the 40-20
It's an extremely high risk play with a mediocre reward.
3 outcomes -
1 - you kick it a lot shorter than you would have just going long and straight, losing valuable position
2 - you kick it out on the full, giving the opposition a very good scoring chance
3 - you succeed, and get an attacking set 40m out, so not even that close.

And why would wingers bother dropping for such a low % play? Even if they nail it, still got 40m to defend the reset.

The 20/40 rule could be a sneaky way to get cheap metres off a 20 metre restart. Just quickly tap the ball, and pass it to a kicker who belts it downfield before the defensive team is ready. Then you get another set starting in the oppositions half.

You can already do this immediately from a 20m restart

Indeed. Its been in the rules for decades. One of Brett Finch's first stuff ups was trying to do it in 2002 for the raiders against Newcastle - he kicked it out on the full and the Knights won the game on the ensuing penalty when Andrew Johns kicked a penalty goal.

LineBall

Juniors
Good point.
Really the only use for this is if you've had 4 tackles in your end and still somehow haven't crossed the 20, and you're totally desperate.
If you've got more than 1 tackle in hand, you would obviously try to gain another 15-20m and go for the 40-20
It's an extremely high risk play with a mediocre reward.
3 outcomes -
1 - you kick it a lot shorter than you would have just going long and straight, losing valuable position
2 - you kick it out on the full, giving the opposition a very good scoring chance
3 - you succeed, and get an attacking set 40m out, so not even that close.

And why would wingers bother dropping for such a low % play? Even if they nail it, still got 40m to defend the reset.

If you were stuck in your own 20 on the last tackle, you might as well pass it to somebody in the in-goal, get them to ground it - then take your time for the drop-kick restart.

taste2taste

Juniors
If you were stuck in your own 20 on the last tackle, you might as well pass it to somebody in the in-goal, get them to ground it - then take your time for the drop-kick restart.
That's too adventurous and forward thinking for any NRL coach to try. Maybe the Walker Brothers are the exception.

Its like the old days when scrums were 50/50. If a team had a dominate scrum they could of intentionally knocked on every 5th tackle and get the ball back in the scrum. Did a coach ever try this? Nope.

Dave's mate

Juniors
That's too adventurous and forward thinking for any NRL coach to try. Maybe the Walker Brothers are the exception.

Its like the old days when scrums were 50/50. If a team had a dominate scrum they could of intentionally knocked on every 5th tackle and get the ball back in the scrum. Did a coach ever try this? Nope.
Because dumb shit like this would be changed the very next week

Perth Red

Post Whore
re the 20/40, I dont like the fact that if done successfully it would penalise the team that has worked damn hard to pin the opposition in their 20. we are rewarding fluky kicking instead of good defence.

Also there should be no major rule changes without RLIF sanction and global adoption. We are heading down a path where there wont be Rugby League as a sport, just variations depending on which comp you play in.

simmo05

Bench
re the 20/40, I dont like the fact that if done successfully it would penalise the team that has worked damn hard to pin the opposition in their 20. we are rewarding fluky kicking instead of good defence.

Also there should be no major rule changes without RLIF sanction and global adoption. We are heading down a path where there wont be Rugby League as a sport, just variations depending on which comp you play in.
The NRL isn't rugby league

adamkungl

Immortal
I've probably bitched about it before but I don't think minor regional variations are that big a deal tbh.

I think the NRL forcing its stupid changes on International and SL is a worse outcome than simply having some minor differences.

taste2taste

Juniors
Because dumb shit like this would be changed the very next week
No it wouldn't get changed in a week. They would need a meeting with the rule committee, have a fan forum and a fan feedback survey, a coaches feedback convention, a few first class interstate flights and nights in 5 star hotels, then for it to decide the Grand Final....then theyd finally change the dumb rule.

taste2taste

Juniors

These new rules are to encourage more attacking football that the game desperately needs. The casual viewer, who the game is loosing, doesn't tune in to watch defence and 5 hit ups and a kick.

BadnMean

Juniors
These new rules are to encourage more attacking football that the game desperately needs. The casual viewer, who the game is loosing, doesn't tune in to watch defence and 5 hit ups and a kick.

They tune in for breathless excitement of waiting 30 seconds to find out if Cameron Smith wants his scrum over here, or 10m away over there!

And for opposing captains to claim the saw a small knock on & challenge when the opposition has them cut to shreds & hanging on...

To watch teams kick to the corner every single time on the 5th within opposition half because no-one is allowed to touch your winger if he jumps in the air...

Latest posts