What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like the 20/40 mainly because it shows they are trying something and are willing to play around with this good rule to make it a great rule. I think going to 30/30 might be the final solution.

I dont think we should be rewarding sht attack and penalising good defence. And the less kicking in the game the better imo

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Bizarre stuff

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06...-trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system

Challenge system - possibly a fan, holding judgement until specific details published.

20/40 - nonsense. No one will use this. It has been trialled and failed in QCUP. And why would we want more kick and hope plays?

Choose scrum placement - ok i guess? May introduce some variation in set plays. Unexpected but I'll fall in favour of this one.

Reset on ball hitting ref/trainer - fine.

"The act of tackling a player in mid-air will be banned whether the player initiating contact is the attacking player or the defending player"
-
This will go down as one of the all time worst rule changes. Mark my words.
The existing rule was well-considered for a reason. This change makes wingers basically untouchable.
Kick to wing, winger jumps, can't be tackled, try. Over and over again. The only defence will be to flood the play with blockers - which is also ugly and illegal.
Tupou is gonna score 100 tries in 2020.

I agree on the tackling in the air, you'll see a number of teams exploit this one.

I dont see the point in the 20/40, unless teams decide to try and score more often 40m out. Teams like the Roosters might benefit more from this rule.

The ball hitting ref and trainer shouldve been changed ages ago, why it took them that long I'll never know. So thats probably the only rule I'm quite comfortable with.

Every year they try and tweak the rules so much that some end up being a farce but see what happens.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I dont think we should be rewarding sht attack and penalising good defence. And the less kicking in the game the better imo

At least it means fullbacks won’t be in the line as much. This means teams can spread the ball a bit more

franklin2323

Immortal
I'll be surprised if there is a single 20-40 attempt tbh
All risk no reward, not worth defending for specifically, and also pretty easy to defend

and most halves have an ordinary kicking game. I think the fear of it will do more then the rule itself

T-Boon

Coach

Under the new rule if you allow a team to kick from within their 20 and find touch inside your 40 that will be crap defence, so the rule does not punish good defence it punishes crap defence.

I'd be happy to see more good attacking kicking. It is true that rugby league kicking is garbage now because there is hardly any attacking kicking but it use to be a real enjoyable aspect of the game.

T-Boon

Coach
I'll be surprised if there is a single 20-40 attempt tbh
All risk no reward, not worth defending for specifically, and also pretty easy to defend

I am hoping the fact the target is much bigger (40m rather than 20m) will mean we will see a few. But I suspect you are right, coaches a far too conservative. The attacking team is probably better off playing the odds that they will get a quick play the ball and/or a penalty coming out of their own half.

ram raid

Bench
I like that the Greenberg has been thinking positively about ways to improve the game in the offseason. They must have been following our theoretics in The Cave..

BadnMean

Juniors
But why are "more rules" the answer?

Clearly that just creates more issues vs adjudicating what you have properly.

We HAVE rules about trainers , they just aren't enforced. They haven't actually introduced any new rules... just announced a vague intent. If I turned up with a proposition this empty of detail & the nitty gritty to anyone they'd just shrug and say come back when you've finished.

They literally fronted the press with a thought bubble. Not a skerrick of the detail work had been done. It would be embarrassing in any other industry.

T-Boon

Coach
But why are "more rules" the answer?

Clearly that just creates more issues vs adjudicating what you have properly.

We HAVE rules about trainers , they just aren't enforced. They haven't actually introduced any new rules... just announced a vague intent. If I turned up with a proposition this empty of detail & the nitty gritty to anyone they'd just shrug and say come back when you've finished.

They literally fronted the press with a thought bubble. Not a skerrick of the detail work had been done. It would be embarrassing in any other industry.

Are you serious? 20/40, the scrum place rule and the no tackling in air rule are very clear how much more detail about those rules do you need?

adamkungl

Immortal
I like that the Greenberg has been thinking positively about ways to improve the game in the offseason. They must have been following our theoretics in The Cave..

This is what happens when players aren't fighting and raping, the NRL Football Department has time to really stretch its wings.

BadnMean

Juniors
Are you serious? 20/40, the scrum place rule and the no tackling in air rule are very clear how much more detail about those rules do you need?

I'm speaking about the "we're still making it up" rules on trainers on the field & the "so how the f*ck is it actually going to work?" challenge system- who makes it, what can be challenged? Decisions? Omissions? When & by who?

So yeah you're right. Only _half_ the new rules they announced are still completely halfassed thought bubbles. That's great guys! Give them a gold star and a pat on the head for achievement.

But they DID manage to introduce a way to make scrums take up even more time & bring in 3 rules /options where one would be fine. That's impressive.

The 20/40 has been setting the Curry Cup alight for 2 years now. Doubling the amount of weird fiddly rules for when & where you kick from in general play will be great for the game and ties in nicely with the extra fiddly scrum rules. Synergy!

BadnMean

Juniors
market on the first team to attempt it?

If we still had SJ I'd say the Warriors

Hodgo will have a go but lack the oomph to get it over the line. This will remind Wighton of the rule and inspire him to try one next set which he will roost over the sideline on the full.

After defending 3 sets, Hodgo will just go back to stealing the ball off brain dead props who run at the littlest bloke in the middle.