What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Nines - Everything you need to know

Silent Knight

First Grade
Well the Roosters better get ready for a whole lot of defending on their line with all that fumbling. They better not pass to Davis on the 5th tackle either otherwise it will be a 20 metre restart and 7 tackle set every time. His teammates might get annoyed at the constant elbows and shirt-pulling in the defensive line as well.

beave

Coach
A bunch of reasons off the top of my head, mostly about travel:
  • Trials - having it Fri-Sat means teams can get home Sunday and have a full week to prepare for the following week's trials
  • WCC - Roosters having to jet out to England
  • All Stars - maximising the length of camp for all involved

valid points and I agree, but it feels like the 9’s has been ‘shoe horned’ into the middle of an already busy preseason schedule. They could have put it on the weekend earlier yeah? and utilised saturday and sunday, this just seems pretty rushed, even the draw you don’t play all the teams in your pool

Perth Red

Post Whore
valid points and I agree, but it feels like the 9’s has been ‘shoe horned’ into the middle of an already busy preseason schedule. They could have put it on the weekend earlier yeah? and utilised saturday and sunday, this just seems pretty rushed, even the draw you don’t play all the teams in your pool

There should be 3 marquee pre season events, Nines, All Stars and WCC. It shouldn't be hard to get three events right over a 5 week period ffs!

NRl to WA Govt " we've got this massive event you could buy, every NRL team, going to be huge"
W Govt: "ok here's $xmillion"
WA Govt on the Friday "why is the stadium empty, we've been sold a dud?"

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I will be filthy if we send any of our regular first graders.

This tourament obviously is not to be taken seriously, I have previously tried to show an interest.

But clearly is not wanting to be taken serious, so just send some kids, I will not be watching.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I find it funny when people get angry that the clubs aren't taking the Nines seriously. It's a novelty event, it's not meant to be taken seriously!

It's also pretty obvious that the NRL is trying to set this up as something of an entry level product as well, something that isn't too serious or hard to get into, and that isn't too time consuming and expensive to watch, but can also act as a good gate way into following the NRL proper. So considering that we (hardcore rusted on fans) obviously aren't the target audience for the Nines either.

So taking all of that into account who really cares if legends that haven't played in a decade or some random ex-AFL player get a run, if anything having them play will attract interest from people who wouldn't have any interest in watching otherwise, which you'd hope would lead to some of them liking what they see and becoming fans.

Imagine the impact it'd have in NZ if the NRL could get e.g. Richie Mccaw to play 10 minutes in a game for the Warriors, it'd be a huge news story over there and it'd expose the game to a ton of eyes that wouldn't normally see it, so if it was on the table then why not?

adamkungl

Immortal
It being a 2 day event starting on a Friday is far more ridiculous than a novelty player here and there. They learned nothing from the World 9s obviously.
And the stupid draw where teams dont play everyone in their group. fmd

GongPanther

Referee
We all will watch it regardless how some say they've had enough of watching the 9's. It'll be interesting to see how many turn up, unlike last year's overwhelming support by the stadium's seats at Parra Park.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We all will watch it regardless how some say they've had enough of watching the 9's. It'll be interesting to see how many turn up, unlike last year's overwhelming support by the stadium's seats at Parra Park.

I expect Friday will be very sparse and Saturday will be popular. There’s still plenty of seats left.i don’t know why they don’t make it a bit more fun and turn it into a bit more of a carnival. They could have best fancy dress, best group dress, best pirate to support the NRLWA, best dressed fan in club colours, best dressed kids etc.etc. Show us some fricking imagination NRL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It being a 2 day event starting on a Friday is far more ridiculous than a novelty player here and there. They learned nothing from the World 9s obviously.
And the stupid draw where teams dont play everyone in their group. fmd
Don't know if I've said it in this thread (cbf scrolling) but it's almost certainly because they want to allow all clubs travel time to get back for the following weekend of trials, particuarly your mob having time to fly out to England.

Agree re the play everyone once thing, can't believe it's not.

T-Boon

Coach
If that’s the reason for wasting a day it is pretty weak. They could have trials any day of the week. Or not have them.

Latest posts