What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
As a fan of Egan I can say he totally blew every opportunity he had in first grade and he'll fade off into obscurity at that awful club.

I would put Katoa is the same class. Anyone who suggests he had a wonderful year and should have been kept with Api not not headhunted and signed......perhaps did not watch the games I did in 2019. (and I'm known for having a biased viewpoint about Penrith players)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Luai has started 5... hardly proven

and he showed more during that 1 game than many others. Using that as an excuse is not sensible. Everybody starts with one game. I think Lui will start the year at 6. Burton will fill in when injuries and SOO time occurs where needed. Can cover a couple of positions.

Kilkenny

Coach
They also have several actual centres. Using that theory Tom Turbo should of not played Origin despite being in the top 5 in the comp

For the most part there is a greater probability a fullback is more capable of playing on the wing/centre position than there is of a half/five eight moving to the centres/wing.

Australian/SOO selectors have accommodated the best five players into the five outside back positions for a long time now but rarely does it involve a half/five eighth being drafted out into those positions and it is more common place for fullbacks to play wing/centre such as Tommy T/Holmes/Hayne etc etc.

What you and other’s are suggesting is we do it the other way and try and somehow accomodate our halves into outside back positions such Luai/Burton. I’m sorry but it rarely works that way and in the case of Jerome certainly won’t and Burton I just don’t see it.

If Matt Burton is a better option than Jerome Luai then he get’s the job at 5/8 and Luai starts in NSW Cup. It’s not that hard.

Kilkenny

Coach
As a fan of Egan I can say he totally blew every opportunity he had in first grade and he'll fade off into obscurity at that awful club.

I don’t agree Wade Egan was more than worth persevering with and it is disappointing we discarded him so quickly. I don’t get it.

franklin2323

Immortal
For the most part there is a greater probability a fullback is more capable of playing on the wing/centre position than there is of a half/five eight moving to the centres/wing.

Australian/SOO selectors have accommodated the best five players into the five outside back positions for a long time now but rarely does it involve a half/five eighth being drafted out into those positions and it is more common place for fullbacks to play wing/centre such as Tommy T/Holmes/Hayne etc etc.

What you and other’s are suggesting is we do it the other way and try and somehow accomodate our halves into outside back positions such Luai/Burton. I’m sorry but it rarely works that way and in the case of Jerome certainly won’t and Burton I just don’t see it.

If Matt Burton is a better option than Jerome Luai then he get’s the job at 5/8 and Luai starts in NSW Cup. It’s not that hard.

So if May/Blore become the halves in NSW Cup. Burton fullback does that then make him a FB?

franklin2323

Immortal
I don’t agree Wade Egan was more than worth persevering with and it is disappointing we discarded him so quickly. I don’t get it.

You on one hand say we struggled.. yet when changes get made they are wrong.

Hooker was an issue. A better option came up and was taken. Much better then waiting and hoping Egan or Katoa kicked on

betcats

Referee
That’s bullshit. If Jerome Luai is not good enough for the starting 5/8 position then sadly he has to play NSW Cup. He is not a centre and we have far better options at fullback so 5/8 or nothing for Jerome. In respect of Matt Burton has he ever played in the centres coming through the juniors? He has played one NRL game and all of a sudden you as super coach seem to think he is going to solve all our issues by picking him in the centres because he reminds you of Freddie Fittler. Good luck with that one super coach thankfully Ivan will not be relying on you as his trusted advisor in 2020.

For the record both Sione Katoa and Wade Egan were both hard done by in my opinion. If I were a super coach I would have stuck solid with either of the above, probably Egan, and bought a proper outside back so we wouldn’t have to be contemplating selecting either Luai or Burton there but that logic probably escapes you.

Burton could play in the centres I think. He has played wing before, he is a natural talent he could likely pull it off. He is a 6 long term though but he could slide out to centres to a run. You are over blowing how hard it is, back rowers do it all the time.

Egan can’t pass well enough to be a good hooker without a really good running game.

martielang

Bench
I would put Katoa is the same class. Anyone who suggests he had a wonderful year and should have been kept with Api not not headhunted and signed......perhaps did not watch the games I did in 2019. (and I'm known for having a biased viewpoint about Penrith players)

I haven’t seen anyone say that. Ever.

Bob

Juniors
That’s bullshit. If Jerome Luai is not good enough for the starting 5/8 position then sadly he has to play NSW Cup. He is not a centre and we have far better options at fullback so 5/8 or nothing for Jerome. In respect of Matt Burton has he ever played in the centres coming through the juniors? He has played one NRL game and all of a sudden you as super coach seem to think he is going to solve all our issues by picking him in the centres because he reminds you of Freddie Fittler. Good luck with that one super coach thankfully Ivan will not be relying on you as his trusted advisor in 2020.

For the record both Sione Katoa and Wade Egan were both hard done by in my opinion. If I were a super coach I would have stuck solid with either of the above, probably Egan, and bought a proper outside back so we wouldn’t have to be contemplating selecting either Luai or Burton there but that logic probably escapes you.
From the Dubbo local paper the Daily Liberal
“Burton, who made a real impact on the wing for Dubbo CYMS in the 2018 Group 11 first grade competition”
I guess he could play fullback or centre, kid is versatile

Crashtest

Juniors

We didn’t discard him. He asked for a release to take up an opportunity at the Warriors, and his request was granted.

He could of chosen to stay and fight for a bench spot, and learnt from Api while he was here. But instead chose what he thought would be a starting position at the Warriors.

Unless they get injuries at hooker, he won’t be starting at the warriors, so will probably end up regretting his decision.

Fangs

Coach
Burtons played 1 game...

Thats correct. It was a very good game too. He was given a simple plan and he executed it very well. However the difference that night was Cleary who had a blinder.

If Cleary doesn't have a blinder in attack, who will create the points? I have to say Luai.

Anyway may the best man win. Both look like first graders.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thats correct. It was a very good game too. He was given a simple plan and he executed it very well. However the difference that night was Cleary who had a blinder.

If Cleary doesn't have a blinder in attack, who will create the points? I have to say Luai.

Anyway may the best man win. Both look like first graders.

The sideways across field won’t work against everyone. I am keen to see what his plan B is

franklin2323

Immortal
Can you explain what he'd offer anywhere but the halves? He'd get flogged at fullback just like Moylan does

he wasn’t too bad at centre. His best game last year was at hooker for Samoa. That fullback I wouldn’t read to much into it. I doubt he had too much practice back there.

I think this will be the starting side come round 1.

Edwards
Mansour
Naden
Whare
To’o
Luai
Cleary
JFH
Api
Tamou
Kikau
Yeo
Martin

Luai on Kikau’s side will be heavily marked (As Burton would be). Yeo and Edwards won’t create. So somehow need to find more attack.

I see that side able to win the 12 games to make the 8 but not many more. So to me it is a waste having attacking weapons in the lower grades. Find a way to get them in

Coastal

Juniors
I like the way Nath spoke in that Video, he seems pretty confident in his ability to step up and lead the team.
He's going to have to step up, it will be his fifth year in 1st grade. Plus he has fixed the 2 issues he had last year, an injured toe and James Maloney (apparently)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts