What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 SG Ball and Matts

siv

First Grade
Wonder when the draw is due out ?

Season starts on Feb 8

Also hearing the Warriors might be playing

Apparently Final draw is approved today and can't be changed. So I would expect a draw soon.

Central Coast played Souths in a trial over the weekend.

Coast won Harold Matts
Souths won SG Ball.

There will be a number of trials this weekend.

Warriors confirmed as playing in SG Ball. Wests confirmed this as they are playing them in a triple header at Mt Smart on the 4th April, with Canterbury Cup and NRL on the same day.

footyhead1

Juniors
There are some teams that will be licking their lips at that S.G. Ball draw..... Cronulla only playing 2 top 8 sides from last year Canberra and Illawarra the other sides they play are Wests, Norths, Parramatta, Melbourne, NZ and a bye!!!

Dragons on the other hand have 5 of last years top 8 and traditional heavy weights Penrith and Newcastle also.

siv

First Grade
Noticed teams have U16s abd U18s in both NSW Country and normal Matts and SG Ball

Time to bring these comps together

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Noticed teams have U16s abd U18s in both NSW Country and normal Matts and SG Ball

Time to bring these comps together
CC Roosters, Penrith, Parramatta and Newcastle, so 4 out of the 12.
The Dogs, Dragons, Titans and W Tigers sides all serve areas slightly different to their core clubs, then there's four completely standalone clubs from what I can see.

Essentially you'd be adding 8 teams to an existing 18 team competition - not sure a 26 team comp is any good when it's only 9 rounds long in the first place.

siv

First Grade
CC Roosters, Penrith, Parramatta and Newcastle, so 4 out of the 12.
The Dogs, Dragons, Titans and W Tigers sides all serve areas slightly different to their core clubs, then there's four completely standalone clubs from what I can see.

Essentially you'd be adding 8 teams to an existing 18 team competition - not sure a 26 team comp is any good when it's only 9 rounds long in the first place.

You could run 3 pools - north south central

We run 2 pools today plus 2 country pools so not much different

Timmah

Staff member
You could run 3 pools - north south central

We run 2 pools today plus 2 country pools so not much different
If you're just playing it in pools it's effectively multiple competitions with less finals spots - and the country teams are at a fairly obvious disadvantage as a result.

No idea why anyone would champion it so hard.

siv

First Grade
If you're just playing it in pools it's effectively multiple competitions with less finals spots - and the country teams are at a fairly obvious disadvantage as a result.

No idea why anyone would champion it so hard.

I don't see the need for a Metro - Country split any more in a state based competition

After Illawarra CC Newcastle and Canberra are in the main comps. As well as Victoria, Perth, NZ and used have NT

Last edited:
Harold Matts trial yesterday

Western Suburbs defeated Canberra Raiders

SG Ball

Canberra smashed Western Suburbs.

Tarsha Gale

Canberra d Wests Tigers in a close one

Timmah

Staff member
I don't see the need for a Metro - Country split any more in a state based competition

After Illawarra CC Newcastle and Canberra are in the main comps. As well as Victoria, Perth, NZ and used have NT
You don't see the need? I'm confused, do you think a 26-team comp (with an 8 team finals series) is sustainable or fair?

Particularly when you'd be adding to the travel costs of most teams...

siv

First Grade
You don't see the need? I'm confused, do you think a 26-team comp (with an 8 team finals series) is sustainable or fair?

Particularly when you'd be adding to the travel costs of most teams...

Then why allow Perth, Victoria and NZ into the competitions

They have all of the issues you mention

Timmah

Staff member
Then why allow Perth, Victoria and NZ into the competitions

They have all of the issues you mention
They are three clubs, and they're only in SG Ball.

You're proposing to throw another 8 in. Stupid.

siv

First Grade
They are three clubs, and they're only in SG Ball.

You're proposing to throw another 8 in. Stupid.

We can agree to disagree as I don't agree with your statement

3 pools of 8 with 7 rounds with a 12 team finals format. Finals are central.

I notice all of those regional clubs are travelling into Sydney to play games so travel cost are about the same

Timmah

Staff member
We can agree to disagree as I don't agree with your statement

3 pools of 8 with 7 rounds with a 12 team finals format. Finals are central.

I notice all of those regional clubs are travelling into Sydney to play games so travel cost are about the same
And the point remains - if you have to divide teams up into pools on such a scale, it negates the entire point of merging the competitions. Leave it as is

Latest posts