What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/cdeca28cf102eba02246a6ebfb8b9514

Latrell Mitchell’s arrival forced Adam Doueihi to quit Souths. He hopes there are ‘no hard feelings’

Doueihi has played 30 NRL games for the Rabbitohs, has represented Lebanon and is known for is work ethic.

The young gun has reportedly attracted interest from Melbourne, Canberra, the Roosters and Wests Tigers and would be a handy pick-up for any club given his ability to play fullback, five-eighth or in the centres.

However, it’s been reported that Doueihi and his family are disappointed at the Tigers’ hesitation to pay the Rabbitohs what they wanted for his release, which could rule them out of the race for his signature.

No announcement has been made on Doueihi’s future at this stage.
We are out of the race & rightfully so.I like AD but we’ve made the right decision to pull out of negotiations coz he isn’t worth the ridiculous contract he’s on with Souths.My money is him moving to Bondi.

Latrell bashed us up so bad, we’ve gone gun shy.

He’d be a very handy acquisition and we will need these spots filled soon...no, now.

The kid can play 5 or 6 positions. He’s a very good fit for a club on the up.

He’s worth a few extra pieces of silver.

But Madge has it under control, if he really wants him, he will be here.

Have no doubt whose running the joint these days.

Top 4 club in 4 years I’d say.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
We are out of the race & rightfully so.I like AD but we’ve made the right decision to pull out of negotiations coz he isn’t worth the ridiculous contract he’s on with Souths.My money is him moving to Bondi.

I'm not convinced we are out of the race but we shouldn't be paying overs.

The unknown

Juniors
Latrell bashed us up so bad, we’ve gone gun shy.

He’d be a very handy acquisition and we will need these spots filled soon...no, now.

The kid can play 5 or 6 positions. He’s a very good fit for a club on the up.

He’s worth a few extra pieces of silver.

But Madge has it under control, if he really wants him, he will be here.

Have no doubt whose running the joint these days.

Top 4 club in 4 years I’d say.

At 600k a year he’d be a gamble though especially at a struggling club like ours. Sure he could be a star but it’s an expensive experiment

The rorter$ are probably better equipped to take the gamble with their 838382 rep players around him

Souths might be able to carry him this year, but next year they won't if Latrell's contract ratchets up as reported and Arrow arrives.

They will need him off the books. They're banking on our desperation to get someone to fill in at fullback to offload him at full freight. Statistically, Thompson is a better fullback so that explains why the club won't bend over on carrying the whole contract.

Easts makes no sense as a destination. Sure, Aubo might finish up this year but is it worth having a $600K utility on the books who will not nail down a starting spot at all while Keary or Teddy is there and Aubo's usefulness is in that he covers the forwards also. Doueihi really is only guaranteed a centre position for a season before Smith returns from his ACL or the Chooks sign Xerri, then he's back to the same situation he finds himself in at Redfern.

We can offer what he wants. Souths are playing hardball. They chose to heavily backend his contract, so they can wear whatever the potential suitors want to pay. I doubt Easts will take on his contract at full fare either.

The season is starting soon so a decision will be made very shortly, however it pans out.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Souths might be able to carry him this year, but next year they won't if Latrell's contract ratchets up as reported and Arrow arrives.

They will need him off the books. They're banking on our desperation to get someone to fill in at fullback to offload him at full freight. Statistically, Thompson is a better fullback so that explains why the club won't bend over on carrying the whole contract.

Easts makes no sense as a destination. Sure, Aubo might finish up this year but is it worth having a $600K utility on the books who will not nail down a starting spot at all while Keary or Teddy is there and Aubo's usefulness is in that he covers the forwards also. Doueihi really is only guaranteed a centre position for a season before Smith returns from his ACL or the Chooks sign Xerri, then he's back to the same situation he finds himself in at Redfern.

We can offer what he wants. Souths are playing hardball. They chose to heavily backend his contract, so they can wear whatever the potential suitors want to pay. I doubt Easts will take on his contract at full fare either.

The season is starting soon so a decision will be made very shortly, however it pans out.
AD will play for the rorters for a lot less than he’s currently on & what he seeks from us

He’s very young but still managed to show up his more elite and illustrious colleagues late last year.

What I like about him in particular is his high energy, involvement and game awareness.

He throws himself right into the game, doesn’t shirk responsibility. Body on the line at every single outing.

He’s was a fan favourite at Souths for a reason.

He’s worth measured overs.

The fact they sold him down the river is something they will live to regret for many years after Bennett has moved to his next club.

Choiboi

Juniors
Glad the club isn't rushing into this.

600k plus 4yrs is alot to pay for someone who isn't proven.

He has also had two major knee injuries including ACL. I would hate to be paying 600k for him to sit on the sidelines. We have a few of those already....

gordynz

Juniors
This may be an unpopular opinion but I really don't understand how people are rating Thompson a better fullback than Doueihi... For starters, AD has only played a handful of games at the back end of last year, in which he looked every bit a FG Fullback. On the other hand Thompson was barely exciting at all for us and let's be honest, he doesnt start at Fullback for any other team.

AD is definitely not worth the price tag and it's not something we should be risking but to say Thompson is better than him is ridiculous... If the money were right and it was affordable then it's a no brainers who I would have at the back.

WA Tiger

Bench
We arnt completely cap pressure free yet so careful as we go is still required ...All of the spots AD can fill are already filled with players good enough to get us into the finals - which is all that matters for this year So right now he’s not a must have player. ...although with a couple of injuries that could change. But looking at the overall risk /reward considering his price Madge has seen fit to hold back. And as he’s not a top echelon player that makes sense. Momo filled a gap that we desperately needed filling last year. That yawning gap isn’t there now and that’s why he’s been swapped. I don’t mind losing him but for you fans look at it like it’s because he’s scored all those tries that we’ve scored a good hooker and our spine looks good now. Mbye can kick goals and from wide out.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/5c03c1856827f19ebf87f24fa5f40adf

NRL 2020 signing news: Adam Doueihi to sign with Wests Tigers
It’s D-Day for outgoing South Sydney star Adam Doueihi as he looks to sign a bumper four-year $2.5 million deal after deciding his future destination.

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
January 30, 2020 11:12am

Adam Doueihi is on the verge of agreeing to a four-year deal worth up to $2.5 million with the Wests Tigers.

Doueihi has decided he won’t be taking up an offer from the Sydney Roosters, despite showing a keen interest to join the back-to-back reigning premiers after a meeting with coach Trent Robinson.

South Sydney have already paid a substantial chunk of this year’s salary, which will allow the Tigers to chip in about $350,000 for 2020, while the Rabbitohs are also believed to be contributing $50,000 towards his contract next year.

It still marks an extraordinary deal for the young Lebanon international, who was left with his career at the crossroads after he was forced out of Redfern following Latrell Mitchell’s arrival.

It’s also a huge win for the Tigers, given not many clubs beat the Roosters in a contract fight, and gaining a young player of Doueihi’s potential could potentially change the fortunes of the entire team this year.

The Tigers have also added Canberra’s tearaway centre Joey Leilua, and with Doueihi and possibly young Melbourne hooker Harry Grant also joining the club, their roster is suddenly looking strong for coach Michael Maguire.

Maguire has made no secret of the Tigers being portrayed as being in the competition to make up the numbers and he wants the club challenging for titles.

What this has shown, after missing out on Latrell Mitchell, that the Tigers can get a deal done.

The Daily Telegraph understands that while Robinson couldn’t guarantee Douiehi a permanent starting spot, he had a really high opinion of him as a footballer and apparently saw his best long-term position at five-eighth.

Part of the Roosters’ pitch was that Doueihi would have been able to work with Cooper Cronk over the next two years to develop his game. However, the 21-year-old has ultimately determined that Tigers are his best fit.

Doueihi is likely to be given first shot at the fullback spot, where he performed admirably for Souths last year.

It is understood Doueihi has been absolutely torn trying to make a decision about his future. Over the weekend, he was thought to be ready to take up the Roosters’ offer.

The Tigers had attempted to low-ball Doueihi for a paltry saving of just $25,000, which had been a frustration and almost a dealbreaker for the talented backline star.

However, it was the guarantee of a long-term deal and a starting spot that clinched the deal.

It is expected the deal will be finalised sometime on Thursday, given the Rosoters are now out of the frame.

While the Rabbitohs are yet to officially sign off on the release, they have told Doueihi they wish him the best and he is free to join whichever club he sees fit, although it will no longer be their arch enemies at Bondi.
It would have made for an intriguing swap given the reason Doueihi has been forced to chase his career elsewhere is because former Rooster Mitchell’s arrival at Redfern basically made Doueihi’s position untenable.

While fullback and centre are now considered Doueihi’s best chances for nailing down a regular NRL starting spot, the reality is that he has played most of his football at five-eighth and he has the size, skill and athleticism to be equally at home at all positions.

“He has got a tough decision to make and he is genuinely caught between a rock and a hard place for a number of factors,” his manager Sam Ayoub said.

“But he is still fortunate to be in this position and he is not taking the privilege lightly.”

It’s also no secret that Doueihi and his family have been left questioning just how appreciated he might be at the Tigers given they have haggled for several weeks now over the money they were willing to pay.

While Doueihi is on a reported $550,000 for 2020 at Souths, The Daily Telegraph has been told the Tigers can get away with paying him just $350,000 for this year but they didn’t want to go higher than $325,000.

The Canberra Raiders were also thought to be considering making a late play for Doueihi but at this point are unable to make any moves as they wait and see what eventuates in relation to the serious charges Curtis Scott is facing for his alleged Australia Day antics.

Melbourne were the other club mentioned but the Storm are ready to cut a separate deal with the Tigers, trading exciting young hooker Harry Grant for Paul Momirovski on a one-season swap.

The Tigers can afford to let Momirovski go following Joey Leilua’s arrival from Canberra after Leilua made way to accommodate Scott’s arrival.

WA Tiger

Bench
We arnt completely cap pressure free yet so careful as we go is still required ...All of the spots AD can fill are already filled with players good enough to get us into the finals - which is all that matters for this year So right now he’s not a must have player. ...although with a couple of injuries that could change. But looking at the overall risk /reward considering his price Madge has seen fit to hold back. And as he’s not a top echelon player that makes sense. Momo filled a gap that we desperately needed filling last year. That yawning gap isn’t there now and that’s why he’s been swapped. I don’t mind losing him but for you fans look at it like it’s because he’s scored all those tries that we’ve scored a good hooker and our spine looks good now. Mbye can kick goals and from wide out.
Ok so obviously disregard.....I still don’t think this will mean Thompson’s not at Fullback..I don’t rate him on the wing at all ...if AD can play at centre and kick goals then thats a menacing backline.Thompson played within an average backline/team last year that was falling apart week by week. I think the injection of size and talent around him will lift his game to a new level.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
Ok....NOW we're getting somewhere! ....a couple of subsidised guns and we're not paying a cent for anyone to be playing for someone else ( momo's deal doesn't count). ...with the raiders and bunnies having paid a handy chunk of the 2020 contracts already these late signings prove that the club holding it's nerve and winning out here may finally have given us a seat with the adults...well done Madge and Co.!
Comes right down to it we havent really missed out on anyone...LM was never a possibility of being anywhere other than souths.

Latest posts