What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

roofromoz

First Grade
From memory the decision was made before the GF. I'm not sure what changed their minds but I have a feeling Parramatta showed concern that another club was going to be admitted 2 miles from them. It would have been a ridiculous decision.

Wouldn't be so sure about that merger. Souths and Easts both continue to exist in each other's pockets.

The decision was made in July 1966, the final was late August / early September. Merv Cartwright put in a hard word to Parramatta officials in the selection committee arguing that the admission of Wenty would take a large chunk out of their catchment and was said to be a big part of the NSW rugby league's final decision.

MugaB

Coach
The decision was made in July 1966, the final was late August / early September. Merv Cartwright put in a hard word to Parramatta officials in the selection committee arguing that the admission of Wenty would take a large chunk out of their catchment and was said to be a big part of the NSW rugby league's final decision.
Well done Merv, making sure parra's selfish needs are met, whilst getting us in

Watching the 91 GF on Fox League. It gets a bit lost given Penrith won but that no try to Paul Smith in the second half (that led to MG being sin binned) was an awful decision.

As we know, there was no benefit of having the video ref/bunker during that time. However, there was an in-goal touch judge so surely he could’ve said something to counter Martin Weekes claims.

Paul Clarke did so well to keep his cool, knowing full well that he did nothing wrong in that tackle. I guess MG did the blowing up for the both of them. I still remember from the ensuing penalty and possession to Canberra Roycie Simmons pulling off 4 tackles in a row, venom in each one of those tackles.

I was even filthier at Brad Izzard for blowing what would’ve been a certain try later in the second half, when all he had to do was to pass to his left to an unmarked John Cartwright, who would’ve scored untouched.

I know that Fittler’s sideline tackle on Meninga in the first half was something special. However I have to give Meninga credit for pulling off that try-saving tackle on Greg Barwick.

Thank goodness the footy gods came through for us in the end :thumbsup:

Last edited:
From memory the decision was made before the GF. I'm not sure what changed their minds but I have a feeling Parramatta showed concern that another club was going to be admitted 2 miles from them. It would have been a ridiculous decision.

Not that it would’ve happened, but it would be like the NRL announcing that St Marys would be entering the competition, or Emu Plains.

Kilkenny

Coach
Watching the 91 GF on Fox League. It gets a bit lost given Penrith won but that no try to Paul Smith in the second half (that led to MG being sin binned) was an awful decision.

Geez you guys are living in the past, ancient history almost. Did we win another GF after 1991. I seem to recall we did but not sure of the year. Hook could have won us one but mismanaged Marty Moylan and that chance went out the window. On a serious note, I must confess I had more beer’s than Royce Simmons after the 1991 GF so my memory of that one is somewhat diminished. Remember more of the 2003 GF cause I was there, it was more recent and I only had a little less than a thousand beers. Hopefully when and if we do win another GF I am still capable of having a few ales, or a few red wines which make me go to the toilet less.

Fangs

Coach

Awful decision, but was the game better without the video referee? I'll take 91 with shit decisions over 2020 rugby league any day of the week (with the exception of origin).

franklin2323

Immortal
Awful decision, but was the game better without the video referee? I'll take 91 with shit decisions over 2020 rugby league any day of the week (with the exception of origin).

Well the game went faster less stoppages so you wouldn't get the commentators sooking over the bad call so would help

Fangs

Coach
Well the game went faster less stoppages so you wouldn't get the commentators sooking over the bad call so would help

They're just giving the people what they want: A reason to whinge. I don't really blame the commentators as annoying as it is.

There has definately been a shift away from calling the game to calling out controversy in Rugby League.

franklin2323

Immortal
They're just giving the people what they want: A reason to whinge. I don't really blame the commentators as annoying as it is.

There has definately been a shift away from calling the game to calling out controversy in Rugby League.

It is getting like the NBA where the drama is more entertaining to some as the actual games

franklin2323

Immortal
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/30/confident-mansour-to-bounce-back-after-rock-bottom-year/

"I want to say very confidently – not arrogantly – that I'll be better than last year," Mansour told NRL.com.

Hard for him not to be better. 2019 was basically the worst year of his career. Still had some strong performances getting us out of our side of halfway. Some life left in him yet.

I have Whare say similar...Atleast they realise they were terrible, Whether they can change it is the question we will soon find out

franklin2323

Immortal
If those figures for Douehi are correct then we can burst the idea that Ivan alone was to blame for the overs to Reynolds and co