What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With The Benefit Of Hindsight....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
With the benefit of hindsight, Bob would not have sat as close to the violin player.....then again he might not have become famous...Six of one, half a dozen of the other....."Wooden't eye"....

or he could have just sat on the other side

T-Boon

Coach
I reckon Hindmarsh is the best of our non-premiership winners. I believe if he wasn’t injured 2005, we win plain and simple

I would go with Hayne slightly ahead of Hindmarsh. Could not be more different contributors. I say Hayne is ahead because his skill set and talent was just so rare. He is the most talented Eel ever (just ahead of Kenny). Hindmarsh turned himself into a workhorse and played most of his season with better players than Hayne did.

T-Boon

Coach
One thing I didn't like about Hindmarsh was for some reason he didn't like Hayne (and it showed) and I think that cost us premierships. Hindmarsh should have made best friends out of Hayne and formed the kind of galaxy dominating bond that Vader had in mind for him and Skywalker. I realise Hayne was probably a young twat but that's where Hindmarsh has to be clever strategic leader.

Eelogical

Referee
One thing I didn't like about Hindmarsh was for some reason he didn't like Hayne (and it showed) and I think that cost us premierships. Hindmarsh should have made best friends out of Hayne and formed the kind of galaxy dominating bond that Vader had in mind for him and Skywalker. I realise Hayne was probably a young twat but that's where Hindmarsh has to be clever strategic leader.
In essence, every other NRL team's supporters could be having this same argument concerning their previous playing stock. However, there are exceptions..............

lingard

Coach
Given my age I saw but don't really remember Pricey, I'd have Caylo in his place, Hindy one spot lower. But yeah otherwise, somewhere in the 3-6 range for great Eels behind Sterlo and Kenny (who I did get to see at the end of their careers an remember something about) at the very least

I like Nathan Cayless. Great offload. Very good prop-forward in attack and defence. But ray Price was easily a million and a half times a better player than Cayless. Defence, attack, ball play, inspiration and match-winning ability. And he had speed. Best player Parramatta has ever had.

lingard

Coach
Amazing till age 24. He was never the same after that. Less dynamic but still great.
I onyl started following footy in 91. I remember Panthers winning the grand final.
Best I have seen in blue and gold? Bit controversial but I would go Jason Smith. Hayne was superior but J.Smith impact on a game and the team I felt was better

Jason Smith was good to watch. But didn't know how to shut a game out. Paul carige cops so much flack for his performance in the 1998 preliminary final against Canterbury - but it all started with Jason Smith. With just over ten minutes to go, and leading by 16 points, Jason Smith just kept on with his risky passes and low percentage plays ...…. and it all just snowballed down hill from there.

Bazal

Post Whore
I like Nathan Cayless. Great offload. Very good prop-forward in attack and defence. But ray Price was easily a million and a half times a better player than Cayless. Defence, attack, ball play, inspiration and match-winning ability. And he had speed. Best player Parramatta has ever had.

Yes but if I'm ranking players I saw, it's tough to add a player I did not. Or at least, don't remember.

lingard

Coach
The best five Parra players I've ever seen (in order):
1. Ray Price
2. Mick Cronin
3, Ken Thornett
4. Brett Kenny
5. Nathan Hindmarsh

It speaks volumes for Brett Kenny that he is rated so highly as a five-eight, even though he didn't have a kicking game at all.

Gazzamatta

Coach
The best five Parra players I've ever seen (in order):
1. Ray Price
2. Mick Cronin
3, Ken Thornett
4. Brett Kenny
5. Nathan Hindmarsh

It speaks volumes for Brett Kenny that he is rated so highly as a five-eight, even though he didn't have a kicking game at all.
No Sterlo?
1. RP
2. PS
3. BK
4. MC
5. BO'R

lingard

Coach
Ray Price period.
Its no coincidence our last premership was the year he retired. Price was the epitome of leadership.
I think Hindy probably replaces Peter Wynn in the previously nominated best 13. I also think Fui replaces Pay and Semi replaces Glover. Other than those 3 imho the original best ever Eels team remains just that.

Cronin retired at the same time; and his influence was just as great. Take them both out of a team at the same time, and it's little wonder they floundered.

Eelogical

Referee
I've always thought that Sterling was just a tad over-rated. Great half-back, but not the best I've seen.
But the thing about Sterlo, he formed part of a champion team, not part of a team of champions. That's why they won 4 titles and came close to another 2. Individual brilliance V team ability. We all know how that usually ends up.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I've always thought that Sterling was just a tad over-rated. Great half-back, but not the best I've seen.
Such a great era buddy. Hard to leave any out. I watched an old SOO game the other night. Sterling was masterful and Kenny owned W. Lewis. I know it was years ago but how lucky were we to witness that magical era. You been to Bankwest yet Ivor?

lingard

Coach
Such a great era buddy. Hard to leave any out. I watched an old SOO game the other night. Sterling was masterful and Kenny owned W. Lewis. I know it was years ago but how lucky were we to witness that magical era. You been to Bankwest yet Ivor?

Not yet, but I'm hoping to this year. I lived in Parramatta, Harris Park and Rose Hill from 5 years old to 35 years old. Was lucky enough to attend games at Cumberland Oval and Parramatta Stadium. Also Belmore Oval when we used that. Saw all those great players in the flesh. I've been to those venues countless times. Been living on the South Coast for the last twenty odd years, so going to games live is more difficult. Cant wait to go to Bankwest, though.