What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Very random question, but I have always thought that Western Reds was a great name for the club my question is it better to be named the Reds or Pirates?

And just another thing when I was a kid and saw the Reds jersey for the first time, I could never get my head around the kit they used because it really didn't use a lot of red... does anyone know or have pics of the other designs that they could have used?

Vee

First Grade
Very random question, but I have always thought that Western Reds was a great name for the club my question is it better to be named the Reds or Pirates?

And just another thing when I was a kid and saw the Reds jersey for the first time, I could never get my head around the kit they used because it really didn't use a lot of red... does anyone know or have pics of the other designs that they could have used?
I loved the name and the iconic red kangaroo, one of the best marketing decisions I've seen.

But don't mention the WAR.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Reds brand is another one of those things where everybody loves it now.

When the Reds brand was first announced most people thought it was lame at best, now almost 30 years later it's 'iconic'. It seems to just be a pattern in RL where nostalgia totally dictates the opinion of hardcore fans, so you end up with the consensus being that things are best when they are the way I remember them being when I was a kid.

On which of the Reds or Pirates brands is more marketable, well it depends on your target audience and the tone of your brand, but personally I think both are very emblematic of the times they were created in, and for their times would have served as perfectly good brands, but in my opinion, I think that at this point both are pretty outdated.

MugaB

Coach

The Reds were named after a Red Kangaroo, not because the main color of the team was red, but it did have red
Colors were Black, Gold, Red and White.
20200214_025139.jpg

Pirates were the rebranded name for the current bid into the NRL, but currently are playing S.G.Ball in the lower grades, perthred can give you more insight.

The Reds were named after a Red Kangaroo, not because the main color of the team was red, but it did have red
Colors were Black, Gold, Red and White.
View attachment 36057

Pirates were the rebranded name for the current bid into the NRL, but currently are playing S.G.Ball in the lower grades, perthred can give you more insight.
cheers....got any old prototypes of the proposed jerseys for the 95 season??

Perth Red

Post Whore
The sport really doesn’t deserve people like Cummins. He’s put millions into the game in WA for no return only to then hear third hand V’landys disrespect all the hard work done over here in the last 8 years. The game continues to be run by muppets. I can see a Perth union club back in a national comp before I see the Pirates in the NRL.

Reactions: Vee

Canard

Immortal
The sport really doesn’t deserve people like Cummins. He’s put millions into the game in WA for no return only to then hear third hand V’landys disrespect all the hard work done over here in the last 8 years. The game continues to be run by muppets. I can see a Perth union club back in a national comp before I see the Pirates in the NRL.

This piss poor crowd has ended any aspirations Perth had.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does the attendance over the weekend do anything for a bid for a Perth side?

25k for a pre season variant comp at $45 and $75 a ticket is hardly a disaster! Especially given all the factors.

as has been shown over the last 8 years good or bad attendances are not influencing anything when it comes to having the balls to expand the nrl.

MugaB

Coach
what would it have drawn if you put it in Sydney this weekend :thinking:
I'd say bankwest would have been chokas, but thats only coz we'd all be hungry just to watch some sort of rugby league, had this nines tournament been played at the middle or end of season, not many would show.
Generally these types of tournaments should be pre trials, which it was, end of season should just be for internationals

Latest posts