What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Signings in 2020

jiorl

Juniors
I can definitely see why the Sharks want him. Out of all their recent signings (Moylan, Dugan, Johnson) Morris has far and away been the best, and had an outstanding year. He can assume basically any backline position, and perform with utmost professionalism. If someone had to go it should be Dugan. He was mediocre at the Dragons, and was injury plagued and yet for some reason he was still signed by you lot. Those 3 signings (not Morris) are basically just players who never reached their potential, were injury prone, and are hyped-up duds. I don't care if we get Morris or not but if the Sharks let him go that is another stupid decision on their part.
And you signed Aaron Woods. I nearly forgot about him

AJB1102

First Grade
I can definitely see why the Sharks want him. Out of all their recent signings (Moylan, Dugan, Johnson) Morris has far and away been the best, and had an outstanding year. He can assume basically any backline position, and perform with utmost professionalism. If someone had to go it should be Dugan. He was mediocre at the Dragons, and was injury plagued and yet for some reason he was still signed by you lot. Those 3 signings (not Morris) are basically just players who never reached their potential, were injury prone, and are hyped-up duds. I don't care if we get Morris or not but if the Sharks let him go that is another stupid decision on their part.

Dugan was a panick buy to replace Jack Bird I think. I do not believe he's being paid anywhere near the initially reported $800k, let alone this new $900k & $975k next year. I think thats possible earnings for making rep sides and whatnot with third party deals lumped on top. We're good for a f**k up but no way would Dugan be getting $800k+ just to turn up for Sharks. Same as I bet Teddy wouldn't be getting max amount if he was overlooked for rep sides.

SJ I don't think was too bad given our desired marquee fullback f**ked off to NFL and he was available. I think he'll have a good year.

Moylan is cooked now I reckon.

I agree completely with your last bit I bolded.We really need him. He's not the type to sook it up so I think JMoz (coach) felt comfortable telling JMoz (player) "sorry but we need ya".

AJB1102

First Grade
And you signed Aaron Woods. I nearly forgot about him

We put a rep front rower on the bench and had Bulldogs paying for most of it.

I dunno what his plan was but Flanagan's banning & subsequent resignation obviously f**ked all that up. Then 2 seasons playing $350k under the cap. I think John Morris is doing ok so far with the cards he was dealt. He'll have had his first full pre-season in charge now so we'll see.

I'm not tryna shit on the Roosters, they're playing to what shitty trade rules allow. I have massive respect for them they're supreme pros from top to bottom and play entertaining footy to boot.

Just leave us the f**k alone lol

We put a rep front rower on the bench and had Bulldogs paying for most of it.

I dunno what his plan was but Flanagan's banning & subsequent resignation obviously f**ked all that up. Then 2 seasons playing $350k under the cap. I think John Morris is doing ok so far with the cards he was dealt. He'll have had his first full pre-season in charge now so we'll see.

I'm not tryna shit on the Roosters, they're playing to what shitty trade rules allow. I have massive respect for them they're supreme pros from top to bottom and play entertaining footy to boot.

Just leave us the f**k alone lol
We don't purposely target the Sharks or any other club for that matter, but this game is a business and, as you stated, we are very professional and "play the game" better than pretty much everyone else. While I would be happy to get Morris, I am not sure now that we will. The Sharks could look to the Titans and that club's approach to Jai Arrow as inspiration if you will. One option I have heard / read about is doing a swap between Morris and Ryan Hall. I am not sure if there is anything to that, but it could be one solution that might be somewhat more palatable to the Sharks. We need a centre more than a winger anyway, so it could be a win win situation for all. It will be interesting to see what happens.

AJB1102

First Grade
One option I have heard / read about is doing a swap between Morris and Ryan Hall. I am not sure if there is anything to that, but it could be one solution that might be somewhat more palatable to the Sharks. We need a centre more than a winger anyway, so it could be a win win situation for all. It will be interesting to see what happens.

We need an experienced back who can play a bit of wing and fullback - Brett would be a fair trade.

Ryan Hall "somewhat more palatable"? A 32 year old Pommy back with 6 NRL games to his name. No thanks. Rather an Ikavalu type youngster but I think only Brett would bring the qualities we'd lose letting Josh go.

Brett and Josh could play together with their uncle John coaching. Fairy-tale stuff.

Valheru

Coach
J-Moz's management is in full spin mode, articles daily about him wanting out.

I don't know if the details of those articles is accurate or not but they are clearly trying to win the PR game.

I think this is an inevitability at this point.

Headless Chook

Juniors
The situation of players wanting outs is getting out of hand. I can understand why he wants to leave Cronulla to team up with his brother for a John Farnham farewell tour and also get it that we are short one back after Latrell flew the coop and undoubtedly he be a fantastic pick up for us but honestly he should just play the cards he was dealt and see out his contract at the Sharks.

roboshark

Coach
J-Moz's management is in full spin mode, articles daily about him wanting out.

I don't know if the details of those articles is accurate or not but they are clearly trying to win the PR game.

I think this is an inevitability at this point.
It is an absolute disgrace

The situation of players wanting outs is getting out of hand. I can understand why he wants to leave Cronulla to team up with his brother for a John Farnham farewell tour and also get it that we are short one back after Latrell flew the coop and undoubtedly he be a fantastic pick up for us but honestly he should just play the cards he was dealt and see out his contract at the Sharks.

I agree with all of this. It’s up to Cronulla to either hold firm which is their right or risk team harmony by keeping a disgruntled player. Sharks are kinda having their Latrell moment.

jiorl

Juniors
I would rather try out Crichton in centre than sign Morris for only the one year. We don't need him.

I also think he would be an excellent buy. Playing with his brother would be a real positive, for both him and our team. However, I don't want us to be known as an underhanded operator in NRL land either. I think this will work itself out in time. Latrell did not stay with us in the end (I am actually happy about that now BTW). This could go the same way, although it may be drawn out for quite some time.

don't listen to Hooper, not saying it's false but Hooper the biggest spin doctor there is

Its not just James Hooper or the DT, published today by the Sydney Morning Herald -

Sharks face salary cap squeeze but refuse to release Morris
Sam Phillips
February 20, 2020 — 4.44pm

Josh Morris was told by Cronulla to "explore his options" along with Matt Prior and Josh Dugan last year as the Sharks try to sneak under the salary cap before June 30.

As it stands, the Sharks are salary cap compliant. But they are yet to complete their 30-man roster for the June 30 deadline, leaving them no choice but to sign a player in slots 27-30 on a deal worth $75,000 or a player in slots 1-26, which will require a deal worth at least $110,000.

When that player puts pen to paper on the bargain basement deal, Cronulla will tip over their cap - which has been reduced by $350,000 for breaching the cap as far back as 2013.

That has left the club with no choice but to either shed a player or find a suitable trade before signing another.

It is also the reason Morris' agent David Riolo described his client's release request being blocked as a "slap in the face".

"They have to move a player no matter what," Riolo said. "It was the Sharks that told us to have a look around at the same time they said that to Matty Prior and a couple of other boys the same thing.

"Then they turn around and deny it. It's a bit of a slap in the face."

While Morris will continue pushing for a release, when contacted on Thursday Riolo had not heard from Sharks management in the previous 48 hours.

The Sharks' reasoning behind their denial of Morris' request is two fold.

Firstly, he is on one of the best contracts in the NRL.

The veteran centre was consistently among Cronulla's best players in what was a disappointing season at the Sutherland Shire last year on a deal worth considerably less than Josh Dugan, whose future at the club remains murky due to a knee complaint. Dugan is believed to be on a deal near the $900,000 mark. That dwarfs the contract Morris is currently on.

Secondly, Dugan's knee injury and Matt Moylan's continual hamstring issues have left coach John Morris with little wiggle room in the outside backs.

With Dugan and Moylan sidelined Morris could start the season at fullback - a position he has not played since his debut season with the Dragons in 2007.

If he was to be released, Cronulla would be left scrambling to replace Dugan and Moylan.

While the Sharks hold firm on their desire to keep Morris for the season ahead, the NSW Origin representative has not waivered in his desire for a release from the Sharks in the days since returning from the NRL Nines in Perth.

The Roosters have been pushing to have Morris join the club before the start of the season but hope is beginning to fade, particularly while Moylan is sidelined.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well done you guys for the concerted media campaign around a contracted player.

I guess it worked with Latrell.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Did ya's weasel Steve out of a contract a month from the start of the 1987 season too?

While i would like Josh at the Roosters i would only want him if he had Cronulla's blessing to leave which he hasn't. I was really looking forward to see Billy smith develop as a first grader this year but that is not to be for now. Not sure why the Roosters aren't looking at playing Matt Ikuvalu either at wing or centre now that Billy Smith is out, also interested to see how Angus goes at centre for WCC , that could work as a stop gap like they use Aubbo at times but for me i would be giving Ikuvalu the first crack.

Latest posts