What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best winger to have played the game in the last 40 years? Semi or Grothe?

Semi or Grothe

• Semi

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Grothe

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Frank Facer

First Grade
I was just saying on our forum that Semi is the best winger I have seen play the game. Then I wondered who Parra fan would rate the best out of Semi and Eric Grothe senior. They would be my top 2 wingers I have seen play the game.

Eelogical

Referee
I was just saying on our forum that Semi is the best winger I have seen play the game. Then I wondered who Parra fan would rate the best out of Semi and Eric Grothe senior. They would be my top 2 wingers I have seen play the game.
If this is only out of the two, then I'd say Eric. His only downfall was that he'd be out of the game for 6 weeks for tripping over his own shoelace.

strider

Post Whore
Semi is probably the most destructive ball runner i have seen ... power and deceptive speed

Eric Snr was on the end of a pretty special backline but he made his own highlight reels ... played in an era where you had to be tough as nails

Hard to compare

Eelementary

Post Whore
Grothe was a more complete player.

Semi was more destructive, and more capable of pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

On balance, I would say Grothe - I love Semi, but he was a little lazy in defence, and wasn't always great under the high ball.

Grothe was a better all-around player, imo.

gUt

Coach
Pretty cheeky to leave some of the greats who've played for other clubs out of the convo here but yeah I have to say Semi was an out an out freak. Wendell and Semi both had the ability to turn a match from the wing which is not a common attribute. I didn't really see any of Grothe senior back in the day but he's obviously the same sort of player.

hindy111

Post Whore

On balance, I would say Grothe - I love Semi, but he was a little lazy in defence, and wasn't always great under the high ball.

I didn't think you where old enough to see Grothe. I have only seen highlights.

hindy111

Post Whore
I will say Semi for the reason he was playing against 17 men who where professionals and guys all 100kgs plus.

Grothe played against guys who took it note seriously then others and wingers under 80kgs.

Gould said it once. Semi is the best ever wing to play the game bar none.
How could you argue with the DUKE

Eelogical

Referee
I will say Semi for the reason he was playing against 17 men who where professionals and guys all 100kgs plus.

Grothe played against guys who took it note seriously then others and wingers under 80kgs.

Gould said it once. Semi is the best ever wing to play the game bar none.
How could you argue with the DUKE
Don't let that door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Pretty cheeky to leave some of the greats who've played for other clubs out of the convo here but yeah I have to say Semi was an out an out freak. Wendell and Semi both had the ability to turn a match from the wing which is not a common attribute. I didn't really see any of Grothe senior back in the day but he's obviously the same sort of player.
I don't think it was cheeky at all. Grothe had always been the best winger I have seen play the game. Semi is the only one who I can think of who is better. I actually rate Lote Tuquiri in his early years at Brisbane before he went to union as my number 3 winger. Brett Morris and Sailor would be my next best. Inglis was a great winger, but I saw him more as fullback or centre.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I see it as the opposite to you. I think Semi is the most complete winger I have seen play the game. Grothe ability to run down the sideline and bump defenders off is probably still second to none.

gUt

Coach
I don't think it was cheeky at all. Grothe had always been the best winger I have seen play the game. Semi is the only one who I can think of who is better. I actually rate Lote Tuquiri in his early years at Brisbane before he went to union as my number 3 winger. Brett Morris and Sailor would be my next best. Inglis was a great winger, but I saw him more as fullback or centre.

tuqiri f**ked off to a soft code at the height of his powers so we will never know what he could have been.

some of my favourite names to consider:

manu vatuvei
Ricky walford
Taniela tuiaki
Rod wishart
Martin offiah

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Every team has 2 wingers and how lucky were we that we had arguably the 2 best ever imho.
I agree.

I still rate Sterling and Kenny as the best pair of halves I have seen at any level of the game. Stuart and Daley would be the next best pair of club halves I can remember off the top of my head.

I was just talking to a mate the other day, who is a Parra fan. We were saying that Kenny, Sterling and Price should all be immortals.

Latest posts