What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best winger to have played the game in the last 40 years? Semi or Grothe?

Semi or Grothe

• Semi

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Grothe

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

blue bags

First Grade
i liked neville glover, semi rad trailer, grothe, sharp ? jeff fenech , the current fiji winger sivo .fui fui moi moi, he is great, blake furgo, as all eels wingers , im missing alot, just memory lost, sorry

Bazal

Post Whore
i liked neville glover, semi rad trailer, grothe, sharp ? jeff fenech , the current fiji winger sivo .fui fui moi moi, he is great, blake furgo, as all eels wingers , im missing alot, just memory lost, sorry

Fui was a bit lame under the high ball, to be fair

blue bags

First Grade
atkins was a good eels winger if my memory is right ? he was around in the golden times. tell the truth , most eels wingers have been good

Suitman

Post Whore
tuqiri f**ked off to a soft code at the height of his powers so we will never know what he could have been.

some of my favourite names to consider:

manu vatuvei
Ricky walford
Taniela tuiaki
Rod wishart
Martin offiah

Lol.

T.S Quint

Coach
Semi.
Unfortunately he didn’t play NRL for long, otherwise it wouldn’t be much of a contest. Perfect combination of size, speed and strength.

strider

Post Whore
I swear i remember the news report of jeff fenechs first ever game with him on the wing in jumper twenty something

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
hard to compare when Semi only played a handful of seasons, we may never see him at his full potential as he is only playing for a big payday atm and he is not playing in the best league in the world

golfer

Juniors
hard to compare when Semi only played a handful of seasons, we may never see him at his full potential as he is only playing for a big payday atm and he is not playing in the best league in the world
It is very hard to compare the two. I was fortunate to see Grothe play his whole career he had strength and elusiveness whereas Semi used his strength and speed. I would have to say that Grothe gets my vote purely on the fact that he was so hard to contain. Just a side note that Ken Irvine was pretty good as well.

blue bags

First Grade
I swear i remember the news report of jeff fenechs first ever game with him on the wing in jumper twenty something
yes i remember the marrickville mauler Jeff fenech , came off the bench into the 1st grade top side game, for 10 mins on the wing, and got smashed a few times in tackles, and thats about it, it was set up, with the tv crews on sidline, and a small celebration, that jeff got to play 1st grade with the big boys , it was at parramatta stadium

yes i remember the marrickville mauler Jeff fenech , came off the bench into the 1st grade top side game, for 10 mins on the wing, and got smashed a few times in tackles, and thats about it, it was set up, with the tv crews on sidline, and a small celebration, that jeff got to play 1st grade with the big boys , it was at parramatta stadium

He never got on the field in a 1st grade NSWRL match. I know there's some blokes on the other site who state that they saw it happen, but I suspect they're thinking of him running onto the field off the bench in reserves.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/09/april-9-fenech-tackles-league-chisholm-tackles-the-ref/