What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bega Trial vs the Eels

franklin2323

Immortal
Go back and look at all the panthers players he has blooded, 9 last year alone. Saying he is conservative blooding juniors just isn’t correct.

That was the balance of the squad though. Whare and Blake got injured and we needed to move Yeo and get an exemption to cover.
That was my issue with last years squad

OldPanther

Coach
This all stemmed from me saying it's possible that players don't get a shot at making a spot their own. Whatever the reason Sivo didn't get a shot here so there's no guarantee Crichton for example is 100% getting picked.

As for last year we had so many injuries there wasn't really a choice. We had multiple exemptions given throughout the year.

Honestly I hope you guys are right about Ivan because that suits my opinions 110% about the roster since Mansour and Whare will be overtaken by Crighton, Burns, Naden but a lot of coaches wouldn't risk it especially with our draw involving some tough games straight up.

Edit: also still getting a feel for this committee and how they view roster management. Could very different to anything we're used to since it's an entire change in the system.

Edit 2: Ivan also isn't rebuilding now which I'm keen to see how that effects his coaching philosophy. He's basically getting a club handed to him on a platter with a handful if juniors ready to go at nrl level.

Sorry for the TL;DR my mind just went away with me as people's comments got me thinking :joy:

Fangs

Coach
I wouldn't be giving Crichton big minutes (If any at all). His Nines and trial form has been excellent, with the ball and in the air. Along with Naden they are clear stand outs in the back 7. He has to feature round 1. Imagine getting him injured prior to the season starting...Same rule for any of our first grade players really but our backs in particular since attack is our achilles heel.

The only reason you'd give him time this weekend would be if he is playing fullback round 1. He did so last week so it may be the same again.

betcats

Referee
This all stemmed from me saying it's possible that players don't get a shot at making a spot their own. Whatever the reason Sivo didn't get a shot here so there's no guarantee Crichton for example is 100% getting picked.

As for last year we had so many injuries there wasn't really a choice. We had multiple exemptions given throughout the year.

Honestly I hope you guys are right about Ivan because that suits my opinions 110% about the roster since Mansour and Whare will be overtaken by Crighton, Burns, Naden but a lot of coaches wouldn't risk it especially with our draw involving some tough games straight up.

Edit: also still getting a feel for this committee and how they view roster management. Could very different to anything we're used to since it's an entire change in the system.

Edit 2: Ivan also isn't rebuilding now which I'm keen to see how that effects his coaching philosophy. He's basically getting a club handed to him on a platter with a handful if juniors ready to go at nrl level.

Last year we got an exemption for Burton and Maybe for Kenny? Who else? I must be forgetting some.

Cleary is regularly throwing teens out there. Leniu, Burton, and Crichton last year. The week Cricton and Burton debuted Whare played reserve grade, MWZ played reserve grade. We had option instead of Leniu also when he debuted.

franklin2323

Immortal
Last year we got an exemption for Burton and Maybe for Kenny? Who else? I must be forgetting some.

Cleary is regularly throwing teens out there. Leniu, Burton, and Crichton last year. The week Cricton and Burton debuted Whare played reserve grade.

Naden was exemption too

GongPanther

Referee
I think you are more chance of being picked then we are of seeing any major changes like that.

I think this will be the 17 for round 1. Lets see how close I get

Aekins
Mansour
Naden
Whare
To’o
Luai
Cleary
Tamou
Api
JFH
Kikau
Martin
Yeo

Burton
Tetevavo
Leota
Capewell
I'm quite certain that Tetevavo will play starting prop with JFH benched and Burton playing reserve grade.

But next Saturday's match will be 1st grade for the first 40, then reserves on after that.

MugaB

Coach
I'm quite certain that Tetevavo will play starting prop with JFH benched and Burton playing reserve grade.

But next Saturday's match will be 1st grade for the first 40, then reserves on after that.
Come to think of it you're right JFH wont be in the start due to returning from his injury, probably best for the trial anyways

franklin2323

Immortal

JFH will just play less minutes

Then who will be backup hooker/half? Kenny won’t have any gametime and May can’t play

Panfa

Juniors
Aekins mansour whare naden t'oo luai Cleary fisher harris yeo kikau tamou koroisau tetevano capewell leota leniu hetherington this should be our rd 1 team barring injuries.

betcats

Referee
Needs to ease him in slowly after injury, especially for a forward. If he plays a few good minutes V Eels, then I'd opt to still bench him for the first Rnd V Easts if I were the coaching staff.

I thought you meant bench him, like proper move him down the pecking order.