What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Trial 2 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 29th February 7pm @Glen Willow Oval

callmack1

Staff member
Really looking forward to the big trial, the Charity Shield this week! Obviously, the past couple of weeks of Footy have been exciting but I think this is the stage of the Pre-Season that we've all been looking forward to. The Charity Shield may be a trial but it's a chance for some early Season silverware so to me, it is very important.

I expect us to name the strongest side that we can and the Dragons will probably do the same. Both sides have a few injuries though so it will be interesting to see how we cope with that for this one. Either way, this isn't going to be easy. This game is generally quite closely contested and St George Illawarra will be up for it so we're gonna need to make it a good hit out.

This Year?

Immortal
For mine it will be interesting to see if Latrell has gained more match fitness for his fullback progression and how the forwards will adapt to life without Burgess. I'm expecting a massive reality check for Saints after the trial against the Knights and with the thinning out of Saints depth due to injuries, it will give their CC players great experience.
Should be a great atmosphere and I love our rivalry.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I could be slightly off but am gonna predict our 22-23 man squad for the Charity Shield.

1. Latrell
2. Campbell
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Gagai
6. Cody
7. Reynolds
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom
11. Murray
12. Su’a
13. Knight

14. AJ
15. Amone
16. Sironen
17. Koloamatangi
18. Goodwin
19. J. Cook
20. Dargan
21. Mago
22. Allan
23. Dillon/Johns/Ta’affe/Sele

Keep in mind both Lowe and Nicholls are unavailable.

Rabbit57

Juniors
I could be slightly off but am gonna predict our 22-23 man squad for the Charity Shield.

1. Latrell
2. Campbell
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Gagai
6. Cody
7. Reynolds
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom
11. Murray
12. Su’a
13. Knight

14. AJ
15. Amone
16. Sironen
17. Koloamatangi
18. Goodwin
19. J. Cook
20. Dargan
21. Mago
22. Allan
23. Dillon/Johns/Ta’affe/Sele

Keep in mind both Lowe and Nicholls are unavailable.
Well done. Very nearly picked it. Pleased to see Jack Johns get another run. Thought he looked like a footballer against parramatta last weekend.
I hope the number order doesn’t mean anything as I was hopeful at this stage that Tom Amone would have shown enough to be first reserve picked. Does anyone have any info on how Amone’s preseason has gone?

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up for Charity Shield vs Dragons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/02/25/rabbitohs-team-list-for-charity-shield/

Very happy with this team! Pretty much what we expected really. Great to see both Cody and Knight named, Wayne said in Reyno's presser today that we'll be as close to full strength as we posssibly can be apart from a couple of guys (Nicholls and Lowe) so hopefully they both play.

Really excited to see how we go as one cohesive unit, how Latrell goes alongside players he has trained with and built combinations with, as well as seeing a lot of our younger guys.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well done. Very nearly picked it. Pleased to see Jack Johns get another run. Thought he looked like a footballer against parramatta last weekend.
I hope the number order doesn’t mean anything as I was hopeful at this stage that Tom Amone would have shown enough to be first reserve picked. Does anyone have any info on how Amone’s preseason has gone?
Nicholls, Lowe, Dillon and Josh Cook we are just without.

Josh pulled up sore after last week apparently a niggle with his ankle.

Hawkins remains injured too.

I am very happy with that side though.

Amone had some kind of injury, can’t remember what!

Rabbits20

Immortal
This is Su’a’ big chance to show us he’s learnt lessons in how to defend properly.

It is his starting spot to lose now for round 1. A good performance and he will start again in round 1.

An average defensive performance will see Lowe get that starting spot.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
So with our squad being the following and Nicholls and Lowe being rested it gives us a pretty good idea of what our round 1 side will look like.

1. Latrell Mitchell
2. Dane Gagai
3. James Roberts
4. Braidon Burns
5. Campbell Graham
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds (c)
8. Junior Tatola
9. Damien Cook
10. Thomas Burgess
11. Jaydn Su'A
12. Cameron Murray
13. Liam Knight
Interchange:
14. Patrick Mago
15. Hame Sele
16. Alex Johnston
17. Keaon Koloamatangi
18. Bryson Goodwin
19. Corey Allan
20. Bayley Sironen
21. Troy Dargan
22. Blake Taaffe
23. Jack Johns
24. Tom Amone
Coach: Wayne Bennett

Predicting what the bench will look like is tough as I’ve always been under the impression that Mago is a prop while Sele and Koloa are second rowers. I rate Sele quite highly so my forward pack assuming Nicholls is fit and Lowe isn’t would be:

8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom Burgess
11. Su’a
12. Murray
13. Knight

14. Johnston
15. Sele
16. Nicholls
17. Mago

I assume the pecking order for second rowers though are

Murray>Su’a>Lowe>Sele/Koloamatangi

callmack1

Staff member
So with our squad being the following and Nicholls and Lowe being rested it gives us a pretty good idea of what our round 1 side will look like.

1. Latrell Mitchell
2. Dane Gagai
3. James Roberts
4. Braidon Burns
5. Campbell Graham
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds (c)
8. Junior Tatola
9. Damien Cook
10. Thomas Burgess
11. Jaydn Su'A
12. Cameron Murray
13. Liam Knight
Interchange:
14. Patrick Mago
15. Hame Sele
16. Alex Johnston
17. Keaon Koloamatangi
18. Bryson Goodwin
19. Corey Allan
20. Bayley Sironen
21. Troy Dargan
22. Blake Taaffe
23. Jack Johns
24. Tom Amone

Predicting what the bench will look like is tough as I’ve always been under the impression that Mago is a prop while Sele and Koloa are second rowers. I rate Sele quite highly so my forward pack assuming Nicholls is fit and Lowe isn’t would be:

8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom Burgess
11. Su’a
12. Murray
13. Knight

14. Johnston
15. Sele
16. Nicholls
17. Mago

Agreed but Amone should be there in my opinion.

Rabbits20

Immortal

1. Latrell Mitchell
2. Dane Gagai
3. James Roberts
4. Braidon Burns
5. Campbell Graham
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds (c)
8. Junior Tatola
9. Damien Cook
10. Thomas Burgess
11. Jaydn Su'A
12. Cameron Murray
13. Liam Knight
Interchange:
14. Patrick Mago
15. Hame Sele
16. Alex Johnston
17. Keaon Koloamatangi
18. Bryson Goodwin
19. Corey Allan
20. Bayley Sironen
21. Troy Dargan
22. Blake Taaffe
23. Jack Johns
24. Tom Amone

8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom Burgess
11. Su’a
12. Murray
13. Knight

14. Johnston
15. Sele
16. Nicholls
17. Mago

Nicholls and Lowe I’ve heard will both be right for round 1.

Sele is on a train and trial contract still and he must impress in the CS.

Mago I doubt whether he could handle 30 maybe 35mins off the bench at prop just yet. I think Amone is the better option and he’s really been building up his fitness over the off season I have heard.

It will be interesting to see how Siro goes in the CS

callmack1

Staff member
Here it is!! Game Day is finally here!! I always love the Charity Shield, it's a great contest against one of our traditional rivals and both teams give it their all because despite it being a trial game, the Charity Shield does still mean a lot so both teams want to win.

I'm really looking forward to seeing our style of play for the first proper time in 2020 and if we've made an adjustments to improve. Of course, the Season hasn't started yet so you're not going to see a finished product but a sneak peak will be great. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how some of the younger guys go, particularly Keon, Amone, Sele, Su'a and Mago. Of course, we'll se Latrell play his first game for us too which is very exciting!!

This isn't going to be easy because despite a couple of injuries, St George Illawarra have named a pretty strong side and they will most certainly be up for this one.

Looking forward to it!

Pommy

Coach
Where’s Latrell? I seen him drop that ball and haven’t seen him since. Granted I’ve got a 5 month taking most of my attention.

Latest posts