What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vautin commenting on the “dancing”

betcats

Referee
The joke itself isn’t that bad but the timing is terrrible. The night is to celebrate their cultures not take the piss.

AJB1102

First Grade
Video? Quote?

Knowing Fatty probably inappropriate but harmless. Give an idiot a mic don't be too shocked when he says something stupid.

Zadar

Juniors
Video? Quote?

Knowing Fatty probably inappropriate but harmless. Give an idiot a mic don't be too shocked when he says something stupid.

Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Josh Addo-Carr’s tribute to AFL icon Nicky Winmar was scintillating viewing.

placeholder.jpg

But some fans were not best pleased with Channel 9’s coverage of the event, particularly with comments made by Paul ‘Fatty’ Vautin.

The long-time pundit was behind the mic with Andrew Johns when both sides had finished their cultural performances.

MORE NRL NEWS

ALL STARS: What we learned from the Latrell’s fullback debut

TRIBUTE: Addo-Carr talks about that Winmar tribute

“I really enjoyed that,” said Vautin. “As I imagine everyone did at home.

“I saw a healthy respect for both cultures out there.

“And that’s very important, and the boys loved it. I loved the dancing, who won the dancing contest Joey?”

placeholder.jpg

019fc4d2e8c3971f67175a824127c35f

Adam Blair of the Maori All-Stars performs a haka
f32fa967390dba98fb8434c76fbc9df6

Latrell Mitchell is seen during the Indigenous All Stars war-cry
Johns refuses to respond leaving an awkward silence.

Vautin continues: “They were both pretty good.”

The comments prompted an angered backlash from fans, who were not happy.

AJB1102

First Grade
Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Josh Addo-Carr’s tribute to AFL icon Nicky Winmar was scintillating viewing.

placeholder.jpg

But some fans were not best pleased with Channel 9’s coverage of the event, particularly with comments made by Paul ‘Fatty’ Vautin.

The long-time pundit was behind the mic with Andrew Johns when both sides had finished their cultural performances.

MORE NRL NEWS

ALL STARS: What we learned from the Latrell’s fullback debut

TRIBUTE: Addo-Carr talks about that Winmar tribute

“I really enjoyed that,” said Vautin. “As I imagine everyone did at home.

“I saw a healthy respect for both cultures out there.

“And that’s very important, and the boys loved it. I loved the dancing, who won the dancing contest Joey?”

placeholder.jpg

019fc4d2e8c3971f67175a824127c35f

Adam Blair of the Maori All-Stars performs a haka
f32fa967390dba98fb8434c76fbc9df6

Latrell Mitchell is seen during the Indigenous All Stars war-cry
Johns refuses to respond leaving an awkward silence.

Vautin continues: “They were both pretty good.”

The comments prompted an angered backlash from fans, who were not happy.

Cheers.

A nothing. He's there for the footy like most of us and doesn't care about anthems or dances.

Just like the anthem means f**kall to a lot of Australians, so does the Haka and the other war dances.

Was a good game of footy is all I know. I FFW'd the pregame crap like I do for tests, origin, ANZAC round etc.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Vautin is just getting left behind. He was probably trying to think of something nice or funny to say but it fell flat.

When stumbling for words, he only had to say, "that was awesome" - because it was.

Zadar

Juniors
Cheers.

A nothing. He's there for the footy like most of us and doesn't care about anthems or dances.

Just like the anthem means f**kall to a lot of Australians, so does the Haka and the other war dances.

Was a good game of footy is all I know. I FFW'd the pregame crap like I do for tests, origin, ANZAC round etc.

I agree, made me laugh when johns didn’t respond to his question,

Is calling it a “dance” that bad, gee people are looking for any opportunity to pretend they are the better person these days.

Knight76

Juniors
The haka (/ˈhɑːkə/;[1] plural haka, in both Te Reo Māori and English) is a ceremonial dance or challenge in Māori culture.[2]

Indigenous war dance.

Above from 2011 announced over PA at the stadium as Aboriginal War dance. Performed by indigenous dance group, performing traditional war dance.

There is a certain type of person inhabiting the internet, that loves getting upset about anything and everything. Don't give them oxygen.

Canard

Immortal
Two Twitter posts!

That's enough to claim controversy! these days. And for people to claim outrage.

There's about 4 troll accounts on LU that illicit more reaction than this.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What do people think of the comment made by Paul Vautin, “who won the dance off”?

To me it is just symptomatic of a bigger cultural issue in RL...

For some reason, we as a sport are determined to make fun of and cut down all ceremony associated with the game.

It is easy to make fun of shit like this, making jokes doesnt make you brave.

- ANZAC Day: "grown men playing dress up with toy guns"
- Women in League: "guys wearing pink? gay."
- State of Origin: ""

Being proud enough of these ceremonies to take these seriously is what takes guts and it is this ceremony that elevates these contests from "just a football game" to a bigger cultural event. The thing that makes the StG-Easts Anzac clash feel special is the ceremony that surrounds the match.

Sh*t like this is why clubs can change their jerseys/colours every years and wack on sponsors everywhere they can. Its why so many matches feel pointless and heartless. They just dont have the guts to try to take it seriously...