What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
I actually don't give a f**k about the bill. It won't remotely change my life.

I just find it funny that whiny bitches complain and exaggerate and call it a gay hate bill whilst at the same time arguing for something that discrimates against people with religious beliefs (also known as a religion hate bill).

There is no compassion or empathy on either side of the debate at the moment.

Which brings us back to the bill. How is legislation that allows discrimination against muslims or catholics or farmers of pork or gays getting married or people seeking to avoid blood transfusions or for that matter ANYONE who does not vote for trump etc good for a cohesive society? This opens a pandora’s box of cluster f**kness.

What ever happened to the separation of church and state ? It’s part of the constitution ya know.

Ch 5 § 116 The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
A Christian may say that unrepentant sinners will go to hell, an example cited in the EM which mirrors the facts of Israel Folau’s case

Folau would still fail based on the following caveats "statements must be made in good faith; not be malicious or harass, vilify or incite hatred against a person or group; not advocate for the commission of a serious criminal offence."

A doctor may tell a transgender patient of their religious belief that God made men and women in his image and that gender is therefore binary (EM)

Gender is f**king binary. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with science. Why should people be forced to pretend otherwise? I'll be respectful to someone that identifies as Ze, but sharing my view that gender is binary in a respectful manner is not discrimination. Just as them sharing their views in a respectful manner isn't discrimination against me.

A single mother who, when dropping her child off at daycare, may be told by a worker that she is sinful for denying her child a father (Public Interest Advocacy Centre)
This example is f**king stupid. Assuming an employee was stupid enough to say this and ruin their employers business, the single mother would not be discriminating against them if they said "get f**ked, I am taking my kid elsewhere"

A woman may be told by a manager outside work that women should submit to their husbands or that women should not be employed outside the home (PIAC)
I doubt it. Sounds like a pretty malicious thing to say.

A student with disability may be told by a teacher their disability is a trial imposed by God (PIAC)
At non-religious school? Unlikely.

A person of a minority faith may be told by a retail assistant from another religion that they are a “heathen destined for eternal damnation” (PIAC).
I have never in 40 years of my existence ever discussed religion with a f**king retail assistant. This seems like a bullshit example. If it did happen, I would argue that it is malicious and designed to incite hatred.

A Catholic doctor refusing to provide contraception to all patients (EM) or to prescribe hormone treatment for gender transition (Equality Australia, Just Equal, LGBTI Health Alliance)
Pretty easy to ask for one that will.

A Catholic nurse who refused to participate in abortion procedures (EM)
Shit example. That would be sorted out amongst the hospital. A patient would turn up and be treated by someone just as they are now.

or to provide the morning-after pill to a woman admitted to hospital after a sexual assault (Equality Australia)
Doctor: "I wont prescribe you a pill but I will get another doctor that will."

Patient: "That's discrimination!".

A pharmacist refusing to provide the pill to women for contraceptive use (EM), or hormone treatment (Public Interest Advocacy Centre, LGBTI Health Alliance)
I don't imagine too many pharmacists would risk jeopardising their business in such a way but if they are stupid enough to do so then it is pretty f**ken easy to go to another pharmacy.

A doctor could refuse to prescribe post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) within the required 72-hour window to a patient whose condom broke during a sexual encounter on the basis of religious beliefs that forbid sexual activity outside of marriage (Equality Australia)

What a crock of shit. We are all going to become pregnant now? Please. Consider this rationally. A hospital would work out which Drs they have on board and ensure that they have coverage should someone need a super critical, super emergency PEP (within 3 f**king days).

A psychiatrist could say to a woman with depression that “she should be looking forward to the kingdom of heaven”. Under the proposed laws, the psychiatrist could challenge their deregistration as religious discrimination, while the patient could have her disability discrimination complaint refused (Equality Australia)

I'm struggling to see the problem here. Is the suggestion that by saying such a thing, she is encouraging her to commit suicide? Weird. If that is the inference then there are already protections against psychiatrists encouraging suicide.

A law passed by a state parliament that banned the promotion of programs that seek to “convert” LGBTIQ people could be overridden by the federal attorney general as an infringement on “statements of belief” (Just Equal).

Could be, but would it be? I don't think so.

Religious hospitals, aged care providers or accommodation providers such as retirement villages may discriminate against their staff on the basis of religion both in terms of hiring and to set codes of conduct requiring them to act in accordance with that faith at work
I'm not convinced that many employers will push this too far for fear of being arse f**ked by a large portion of the population

But in practical terms, in the unlikely event that it does happen, how does that impact a potential employee?

Either they miss out on a job because they aren't religious enough, they have to act more religious while at work or they can choose to apply for a completely different job.

I don't see that as discrimination, I see that as someone potentially being a poor fit for an organisation and an employer.

There are many jobs that I will never get because of who I am.

A religiously affiliated business may require senior leaders to hold or engage in a particular religious belief or activity where that is an inherent requirement of those positions (EM)

They don't want a satan worshipper on their Board? Fancy that!

An Anglican public benevolent institution could require its employees, including volunteer workers, to uphold and act consistently with Anglican doctrines and teachings at work (EM)

What does that mean in real terms and where exactly is the discrimination?

Domestic duties – a person hiring a live-in nanny or in-home carer services may require that they be of the same religious belief or activity as that person (EM)
I don't have a problem with this. If I am religious and inviting someone into my home to perform such a critical task where they effectively become part of the family it is reasonable for someone to be able to make that choice.

An employer can ask a prospective employee whether they observe any holy days during which they can’t work to determine if they can fulfil the inherent requirements of the work (EM).
Would it really happen that way? In 99.99999% of cases it wil be a simple question - Can you work the hours?

This seems to be implying that someone should be compelled to hire a person who can't fulfill the requirements of the job? Thats f**ken daft.

Most of these examples have been f**ken stupid but this takes it to a new level.

An office worker could declare on social media that a fellow employee is in a wheelchair because they are sinful and urge them to attend a faith healer. The workplace inclusion policy would be overridden by such a “statement of belief” and any action taken against the offender could be appealed to the Human Rights Commission as “religious discrimination” (Just Equal).

More scare tactics. That is a hateful and malicious statement that would be unlikely to get through.

Also, religion aside, a lot of companies have social media policies that prohibit you from saying much about your work place. The above comment would be a clear breach of that.

A Jewish school may require that its staff and students be Jewish and accordingly refuse to hire or admit someone because they were not Jewish (EM)

Why the f**ken f**k would a non jewish person want to go to jewish school? F**k me!

A student attends the same religious school through their primary and secondary education. At 16 they lose faith in the religion of the school and tell a teacher that they are now agnostic. The school would be able to expel, suspend or otherwise punish, for example, give detention to the student (PIAC).
I'd like to think that in virtually every case it would be worked out between the school, kid and parents in a respectful manner.

I just can't honestly see a what a school would have to gain by doing that.

Rule: religious camps and conference sites may discriminate against another person on the ground of religious belief or activity in the provision of accommodation.

This is an exemption lobbied for by the Sydney Anglican church with reference to this example: Anglican Youthworks should be able to reject an application for the First Church of Satan to hold a black mass at one of its campsites.

Lets flip this for a minute. The First Church of Satan should be allowed to use the Sydney Anglican Church's campsite to perform a black mass?

F**k off.

There is also an exception for the provision of accommodation so that a homeowner seeking a tenant for their spare room may require that the tenant be of the same religious belief or activity as the homeowner (EM).

If I am applying to live in the home of someone who is deeply religious to the point where they would ask me that I am religious I am running a million f**king miles.

But, given that it is their house I don't begrudge their right to do so even if I think they are weird.

So at this point, you have to ask yourself what rights are actually being denied through enforcing such a rule?

Gronk

Staff member
Folau would still fail based on the following caveats "statements must be made in good faith; not be malicious or harass, vilify or incite hatred against a person or group; not advocate for the commission of a serious criminal offence."

Gender is f**king binary. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with science. Why should people be forced to pretend otherwise? I'll be respectful to someone that identifies as Ze, but sharing my view that gender is binary in a respectful manner is not discrimination. Just as them sharing their views in a respectful manner isn't discrimination against me.

This example is f**king stupid. Assuming an employee was stupid enough to say this and ruin their employers business, the single mother would not be discriminating against them if they said "get f**ked, I am taking my kid elsewhere"

I doubt it. Sounds like a pretty malicious thing to say.

At non-religious school? Unlikely.

I have never in 40 years of my existence ever discussed religion with a f**king retail assistant. This seems like a bullshit example. If it did happen, I would argue that it is malicious and designed to incite hatred.

Pretty easy to ask for one that will.

Shit example. That would be sorted out amongst the hospital. A patient would turn up and be treated by someone just as they are now.

Doctor: "I wont prescribe you a pill but I will get another doctor that will."

Patient: "That's discrimination!".

I don't imagine too many pharmacists would risk jeopardising their business in such a way but if they are stupid enough to do so then it is pretty f**ken easy to go to another pharmacy.

What a crock of shit. We are all going to become pregnant now? Please. Consider this rationally. A hospital would work out which Drs they have on board ad ensure that they have coverage should someone need a super critical, super emergency PEP (within 3 f**king days).

I'm struggling to see the problem here. Is the suggestion that by saying such a thing, she is encouraging her to commit suicide? Weird. If that is the inference then there are already protections against psychiatrists encouraging suicide.

Could be, but would it be? I don't think so.

I'm not convinced that many employers will push this too far for fear of being arse f**ked by a large portion of the population

But in practical terms, in the unlikely event that it does happen, how does that impact a potential employee?

Either they miss out on a job because they aren't religious enough, they have to act more religious while at work or they can choose to apply for a completely different job.

I don't see that as discrimination, I see that as someone potentially being a poor fit for an organisation and an employer.

There are many jobs that I will never get because of who I am.

They don't want a satan worshipper on their Board? Fancy that!

What does that mean in real terms and where exactly is the discrimination.

I don't have a problem with this. If I am religious and inviting someone into my home to perform such a critical task where they effectively become part of the family it is reasonable for someone to be able to make that choice.

Would it really happen that way? In 99.99999% of cases it wil be a simple question - Can you work the hours?

This seems to be implying that someone should be compelled to hire a person who can't fulfill the requirements of the job? Thats f**ken daft.

Most of these examples have been f**ken stupid but this takes it to a new level.

More scare tactics. That is a hateful and malicious statement that would be unlikely to get through.

Also, religion aside, a lot of companies have social media policies that prohibit you from saying much about your work place. The above comment would be a clear breach of that.

Why the f**ken f**k would a non jewish person want to go to jewish school? F**k me!

I'd like to think that in virtually every case it would be worked out between the school, kid and parents in a respectful manner.

I just can't honestly see a what a school would have to gain by doing that.

Lets flip this for a minute. The First Church of Satan should be allowed to use the Sydney Anglican Church's campsite to perform a black mass?

F**k off.

If I am applying to live in the home of someone who is deeply religious to the point where they would ask me that I am religious I am running a million f**king miles.

But, given that it is their house I don't begrudge their right to do so even if I think they are weird.

So at this point, you have to ask yourself what rights are actually being denied through enforcing such a rule.

Is your criticism of the article made through the lens of unity, understanding and inclusiveness or did you set out to rip it to bits via satire ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really? You reckon you'd feel discriminated against because you had to treat people with a basic level of respect and decency?

Would you have the same opinion of the bill if it allowed the same level of discrimination against brown folks just based on their race?

All or nothing. Loony religious types should be as open to discrimination as the people they want to discriminate against. Or, even better, we shouldn't pass any bills that allow discrimination in the first place.
But we do. We're currently allowed to discriminate against people for exercising their religion.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just don’t get how this will lead to a better version of our society. To me, this is a bill drafted by the majority who are tired of having to provide an inclusive society for the minority. They’re just f**king over it and want a law which allows them to officially give no f**ks.
We moved away from the inclusive society long ago. Now we have multiple competing 'communities', and communities are by definition exclusive. In fact (most) religions are among the few communities that anyone can choose to become part of. Not so with racial communities or even many socioeconomic or geographic communities that require money to join.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which brings us back to the bill. How is legislation that allows discrimination against muslims or catholics or farmers of pork or gays getting married or people seeking to avoid blood transfusions or for that matter ANYONE who does not vote for trump etc good for a cohesive society? This opens a pandora’s box of cluster f**kness.

What ever happened to the separation of church and state ? It’s part of the constitution ya know.

Ch 5 § 116 The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

Adults need to retain the right to choose their own values and not have the values of others foisted upon them. On the upside, Gronk, this will lead to big businesses (that sell goods and services to progressive rich white folk) hiring fewer religious employees. So your tribe will still keep winning.

Bandwagon

Staff member
But we do. We're currently allowed to discriminate against people for exercising their religion.

No we are not.

That's a load of shit , people are not permitted to practice their religion in a manner that discriminates against others, though there are so many exceptions to this that even that's only partially true.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Adults need to retain the right to choose their own values and not have the values of others foisted upon them.

Yet the very thing you complain of here in reality only exists in that those very same adults are restricted in choosing their values only in sense of foisting their values upon others.

It's quite the conundrum.

On the upside, Gronk, this will lead to big businesses (that sell goods and services to progressive rich white folk) hiring fewer religious employees. So your tribe will still keep winning.

Ha ha ha, it's amazing how the conservative has become such a victim these days. FFS.

Gronk

Staff member
We moved away from the inclusive society long ago. Now we have multiple competing 'communities', and communities are by definition exclusive. In fact (most) religions are among the few communities that anyone can choose to become part of. Not so with racial communities or even many socioeconomic or geographic communities that require money to join.
I see, so legislation that permits or even encourages division in the community is good ?

upload_2020-3-1_14-27-32.jpeg

upload_2020-3-1_14-28-14.jpeg

upload_2020-3-1_14-29-5.jpeg

upload_2020-3-1_14-29-55.jpeg

Gronk

Staff member
Adults need to retain the right to choose their own values and not have the values of others foisted upon them. On the upside, Gronk, this will lead to big businesses (that sell goods and services to progressive rich white folk) hiring fewer religious employees. So your tribe will still keep winning.
Ok way to make things personal. Didn’t this escalate quickly ? Don’t let your insecurities cloud the debate merkin.

strider

Post Whore
I just don’t get how this will lead to a better version of our society. To me, this is a bill drafted by the majority who are tired of having to provide an inclusive society for the minority. They’re just f**king over it and want a law which allows them to officially give no f**ks.
I won't pretend i know all about all .... serious question - what would currently happen if they did not introduce this? Are people who feel strongly about their beliefs currently open to prosecution if they say/do all that stuff? I wouldnt have thought so. Or maybe i just dont know.

strider

Post Whore
Is your criticism of the article made through the lens of unity, understanding and inclusiveness or did you set out to rip it to bits via satire ?
The article is clearly a one sided attempt to create fear

I agree with gutful .... most the examples there are quite extreme and very unlikely and even if they are real then the person on the receiving end would be better off dealing with someone else than the shithead being bad to them

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

It is designed to stop discrimination on religious grounds. I'm against any kind of discrimination rather than just the discrimination against things I happen to like and stand for.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I won't pretend i know all about all .... serious question - what would currently happen if they did not introduce this? Are people who feel strongly about their beliefs currently open to prosecution if they say/do all that stuff? I wouldnt have thought so. Or maybe i just dont know.

What it's supposed to do is allow religious people and institutions practical exemptions from current laws around discrimination where the particular discrimination they wish to indulge in is part of their religious practice or doctrine.

It is also designed to protect these same people and institutions from having to perform certain services they would otherwise have to perform if that in providing that service it be in contravention of their religious practice or beliefs.

The whole problem around it for mine is that it sets in place a hierarchy of rights, whereby the rights of some trump the rights of others based solely upon their religious beliefs.

I will gladly concede here i am openly hostile to the idea of one groups rights being given precedence over another's on the basis that they talk to the sky.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It is designed to stop discrimination on religious grounds. I'm against any kind of discrimination rather than just the discrimination against things I happen to like and stand for.

No, I don't believe that is the case, it is one of the intents I'm sure, but in doing so it also further enshrines in law the ability to discriminate upon religious grounds. Only that the grounds are established via belief rather than membership of any particular religion.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
1. You should't lecture on the basis of "unity, undertstanding and inclusiveness" when many of the people who are critical of the bill are showing anything but that.

2. Rather than silly, meaningless knee jerk reactions I decided to explore each of the listed concerns in detail and form my own opinion on their merit.

3. I doubt you'll be able to argue me on the specifics because based on any rational interpretation, the concerns that have been outlined are pretty weak. They are either irrelevant, unlikely or just plain misguided.

4. I don't have a lot of time for religion, but I don't believe people should be discriminated against because they are practicing it.

5. A lot of the concerns raised by people about not being able to go a jewish schoool or be employed by a church seem like a f**ken pathetic attempt to be a victim. I doubt they'd give two f**ks if there was some other type of discrimination towards some other group that ultimately benefitted them.

Come on man, you are a smart guy. Surely you can concede that I have a point?

strider

Post Whore
What it's supposed to do is allow religious people and institutions practical exemptions from current laws around discrimination where the particular discrimination they wish to indulge in is part of their religious practice or doctrine.

It is also designed to protect these same people and institutions from having to perform certain services they would otherwise have to perform if that in providing that service it be in contravention of their religious practice or beliefs.

The whole problem around it for mine is that it sets in place a hierarchy of rights, whereby the rights of some trump the rights of others based solely upon their religious beliefs.

I will gladly concede here i am openly hostile to the idea of one groups rights being given precedence over another's on the basis that they talk to the sky.
Talk to the sky or whatever .... people are entitled to their beliefs to an extent

I think in cases where there is a readily available alternative, like cases gary mentioned above, then i dont have a problem with people basing their decisions in line with their beliefs

I think a staunch catholic dr should be able to say i dont believe in the pill, so im not presribing it - cos theres a heap of others that are available.

And no im certainly not religious myself ... i dabbled in high school cos some of my friends were and i wanted to pick up chicks (yeah, didnt think that through) - but i came out of that stage

Latest posts