What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Trial 2 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 29th February 7pm @Glen Willow Oval

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Mago, Sele, Taafe, Johns.. All impressed. I'd fit Mago somewhere in the 17, he's a good young kid
Agreed, I'd try to fit Mago in the 17 as well, I think he needs a bit more fitness, but that'll come, he looked very powerful.

I thought Sironen was very very good too, both out wide and at dummy half/middle, and looks real strong too. I'd be finding a spot in the 17 as well.

An Kola looked good on the edge as well, very quick and agile, we just need to see what his D is like

callmack1

Staff member
Yeww fantastic win from the boys which sees us retain the Charity Shield for the eighth year in a row!! That's quite a streak we have going there now.

Really enjoyed the game. I thought the full strength side played okay in the first half but certainly not our best. We just looked a little inconsistent, made a few too many errors and the execution was lacking at times in attack which made it look a bit clunky sometimes. In saying that, we certainly showed some glimpses of our best and when we got it right we looked great! I guess that kind of mixed performance is to be expected in a trial game.

Latrell played pretty well with some silky touches and big runs but no doubt he will become more and more involved as the Season goes on. The other stand outs from the regular first graders for me were Gags, Tom and Knight.

But then how good were all the young blokes in the second half?!! My goodness they were brilliant! Were up against a far stronger St George Illawarra side that still had quite a few stars on and we completely outclassed them with some great Footy!! My stand outs there were Sironen (who could now be considered as a back up hooker), Mago, Sele and Taafe. Mago and Sele almost certainly earn contracts off the back of that and Wayne now has a good headache with the bench Amone, Mago and Sele were that good.

Still a bit to work on of course but I'm just stoked to retain the shield and have a good hit out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well it was a clunky first half. We made metres easy but just too many errors.

When we got into attacking positions we were clunky but I expected that with combinations still rusty.

I thought Latrell was very good with some powerful runs and some nice offloads. I saw enough out there tonight to know he will do well.

Gagai had the one error but was awesome with the shit work.

Roberts and Burns a but quiet. Campbell was very strong.

Shame about Su’a with that head knock.

I thought Reyno went well and Cody blew out some cobwebs.

I thought Tatola, Tom, Knight and Murray all did a very good job. Knight was a beast out there and has got a good amount of offloads in him.

Onto the second half wow Mago what a beast i can’t believe how good he was. I think he’s looking good for a spot on our bench for round 1. Got good ball playing in him too.

Sele apart from the one error was awesome.

AJ did a very good job as well for us and may get the 14 jersey for round 1.

Koloa continues to show us he’s gonna be a very good player.

Goodwin and Allan were solid.

Sironen was awesome what an effort at hooker with fine passes and getting the forwards onto the front foot plus taking a few darts as well. I couldn’t believe how good he was.

Johns and Amone really stepped up and did a fine job.

Dargan was solid and Ta’affe well how good was he!

I loved the energy of our young boys and wow do we have some quality depth! Competition for spots is always a great thing!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Well it was a clunky first half. We made metres easy but just too many errors.

When we got into attacking positions we were clunky but I expected that with combinations still rusty.

I thought Latrell was very good with some powerful runs and some nice offloads. I saw enough out there tonight to know he will do well.

Gagai had the one error but was awesome with the shit work.

Roberts and Burns a but quiet. Campbell was very strong.

Shame about Su’a with that head knock.

I thought Reyno went well and Cody blew out some cobwebs.

I thought Tatola, Tom, Knight and Murray all did a very good job. Knight was a beast out there and has got a good amount of offloads in him.

Onto the second half wow Mago what a beast i can’t believe how good he was. I think he’s looking good for a spot on our bench for round 1. Got good ball playing in him too.

Sele apart from the one error was awesome.

AJ did a very good job as well for us and may get the 14 jersey for round 1.

Koloa continues to show us he’s gonna be a very good player.

Goodwin and Allan were solid.

Sironen was awesome what an effort at hooker with fine passes and getting the forwards onto the front foot plus taking a few darts as well. I couldn’t believe how good he was.

Johns and Amone really stepped up and did a fine job.

Dargan was solid and Ta’affe well how good was he!

I loved the energy of our young boys and wow do we have some quality depth! Competition for spots is always a great thing!
Good accurate summary

truthslayer

Juniors
Cody,Cookie and Reyno were all bloody ordinary,Taafe was a standout!
So correct! It was the take of two half’s , one where the highly paid were absolutley ordinary, the half’s could not put anyone in a whole, I didn’t know Cody played. The second half that squad found gaps and defended aggressively, need to point out Taafe great player, the only fault not his , he put through a kick and no chasers, I could excuse grandpa Goodwin who was waiting for his pension cheque. Koola was great, Mago and Sele and amone great work, Johnston is standing up proving he wants a position I thought he looked good. Question on Latrell with the high ball, whilst in the second half Allan , Johnstone safe. Graham solid , burns a big question mark. I enjoyed the effort in the second half I thought sironen was great at dummy half, I thought cook was average at dummy half. Bennet is going to have a big headache and with Jack Johns stepping up .Im impressed by our depth and it’s going to keep the star players on their toes. Bennet needs to pick on form. I’m still not convinced on Murray move but he is such a great player he can adapt.

assess5

Juniors
Good accurate summary
He left out how well Goodwin went - Goodwin didn't get thrown over the side line, he threw the ball over the sideline, every time he received a pass he got swamped by the Saints defense. He's just to slow now - whose position do you think he should take, one of those young guys who played magnificently yesterday or maybe Alex Johnson who looked smooth as silk when he came on (believe when I say I'm not a fan but Johnson did look good).

Latrell Mitchell better stop reading the headlines and get down to playing football, he looked exactly like the mug lair he apparently is.

How come every body saw Gagai's mistake/s but all missed Mitchell's pathetic attempt on that bomb that lead to Saints second try?

assess5

Juniors
So correct! It was the take of two half’s , one where the highly paid were absolutley ordinary, the half’s could not put anyone in a whole, I didn’t know Cody played. The second half that squad found gaps and defended aggressively, need to point out Taafe great player, the only fault not his , he put through a kick and no chasers, I could excuse grandpa Goodwin who was waiting for his pension cheque. Koola was great, Mago and Sele and amone great work, Johnston is standing up proving he wants a position I thought he looked good. Question on Latrell with the high ball, whilst in the second half Allan , Johnstone safe. Graham solid , burns a big question mark. I enjoyed the effort in the second half I thought sironen was great at dummy half, I thought cook was average at dummy half. Bennet is going to have a big headache and with Jack Johns stepping up .Im impressed by our depth and it’s going to keep the star players on their toes. Bennet needs to pick on form. I’m still not convinced on Murray move but he is such a great player he can adapt.
I agree with all you say. I only ask where did Taafe come from, boy, did he look the goods.

I must say that I was a Goodwin fan three (?) years ago when he left for England but not now, father time catches every body, I'd now prefer Sutton stayed or even Turner.

Travitoh

First Grade
I wouldn't read to much into the top dogs who are going through the motions and using the match to blow out a few cobwebs compared to kids and fringe players playing for a potential spot in round one.

callmack1

Staff member
People are blowing up about Cook elsewhere saying he is a massive issue for us. Yes, he didn't play well in the 2019 Prelim and he didn't play well this weekend but I think some people need to calm down. For most of 2019, we were all singing his praises. Cookie is a quality player, one of the top quality hookers in the game in my opinion so let's wait until the real Footy starts and hope that quality shines through.

In a far more positive note, our two trials, especially the second half last night, have shown the depth we have in our squad. Some may knock us but our depth is quality. Beating a strong Parra side with only one regular first grader playing and then putting on a performance like we did in the second half last night against a strong Dragons side is a testament to the depth in our squad. It was looking a little thin in the forwards a couple of months ago but if some of those guys can play like they have in the trials consistently, then we are hopefully looking good!

NovoBunny94

Juniors
People are blowing up about Cook elsewhere saying he is a massive issue for us. Yes, he didn't play well in the 2019 Prelim and he didn't play well this weekend but I think some people need to calm down. For most of 2019, we were all singing his praises. Cookie is a quality player, one of the top quality hookers in the game in my opinion so let's wait until the real Footy starts and hope that quality shines through.

In a far more positive note, our two trials, especially the second half last night, have shown the depth we have in our squad. Some may knock us but our depth is quality. Beating a strong Parra side with only one regular first grader playing and then putting on a performance like we did in the second half last night against a strong Dragons side is a testament to the depth in our squad. It was looking a little thin in the forwards a couple of months ago but if some of those guys can play like they have in the trials consistently, then we are hopefully looking good!

Problem with Cook is most opposition players would see him as one dimensional meaning you take away his running game you take away his effectiveness which teams did last year. He said before the charity shield that hes trying to pick his moments to run which is good, i just wish he ran alot more because even if he doesn't split the markers or c & d defenders he can still get an offload to players supporting and or a quick play the ball which we can play off the back of

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I wouldn't read to much into the top dogs who are going through the motions and using the match to blow out a few cobwebs compared to kids and fringe players playing for a potential spot in round one.

That’s exactly it. I would be worried if we were playing our best footy this early in the year. I’m not really keen on another May premiership. Peaking at the end of the season is ideal.

Trials in the NRL have always been and always will be a chance for the young players to showcase their skill and make a claim for a spot in the team when injuries occur. We should be happy that we have so many putting their hand up. Taafe looks very good.

Latest posts