What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V West Tigers

BLM01

First Grade
Dont mind that team. I'd have Merrin in there though, he goes alright.
Yes Crush it hit me when I went to bed. I knew I missed someone. I would start Merrin at prop. Kerr to replace Graham or Lawrie on bench. One of those 18th man and game time in reggies. There will be injuries so won’t be long for either of them. I keep Tyrell for his leg speed and versatility.

Como Connection

First Grade
Yes Crush it hit me when I went to bed. I knew I missed someone. I would start Merrin at prop. Kerr to replace Graham or Lawrie on bench. One of those 18th man and game time in reggies. There will be injuries so won’t be long for either of them. I keep Tyrell for his leg speed and versatility.
I would play Tyrell in front of Ford.
Offers far more at present.
CC

Old Timer

Coach
I would play Tyrell in front of Ford.
Offers far more at present.
CC
Ford is a work in progress and has lots to like but also lots to learn.
A smart coach would have him in against the smaller / weaker teams and keep him away from the really big boppers in the top teams.
Far too often a young forward can get a set back against a ferocious pack and not really recover from it ala Kevin Gibson who met the might of the South’s pack just s but too early on.

SEAT 1A

Bench
1. Lomax
2. Ravawala
3.Aitken
4.Lafai
5. Pereira
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. Luke
10. Vaughn
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. Merrin

14. Sailor
15. Billy
16. Lawrie
17. Ford/K Sims if fit

I'm insane with picking the same old centres however, going with defense instead of attack qualities.(Just with Aiken)

SBD82

Coach
1. Lomax
2. Ravawala
3.Aitken
4.Lafai
5. Pereira
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. Luke
10. Vaughn
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. Merrin

14. Sailor
15. Billy
16. Lawrie
17. Ford/K Sims if fit

I'm insane with picking the same old centres however, going with defense instead of attack qualities.(Just with Aiken)
I think that Aitken’s attack is much better than his defence.

denis preston

First Grade
Ford is a work in progress and has lots to like but also lots to learn.
A smart coach would have him in against the smaller / weaker teams and keep him away from the really big boppers in the top teams.
Far too often a young forward can get a set back against a ferocious pack and not really recover from it ala Kevin Gibson who met the might of the South’s pack just s but too early on.

Now there's a blast from the past.Big hulking lad from Renown who found himself playing a semi final at 17 or 18 years of age and had a great game in a beaten side.Labled the next big thing it must have gone to his head as he only lasted another 12 months and didn't play first grade again. He played pre season in firsts and when they played Souths he wanted to show them he was boss.Well Sattler & O'neill put paid to that.He was pulverized and was never the same player again.

Old Timer

Coach
Now there's a blast from the past.Big hulking lad from Renown who found himself playing a semi final at 17 or 18 years of age and had a great game in a beaten side.Labled the next big thing it must have gone to his head as he only lasted another 12 months and didn't play first grade again. He played pre season in firsts and when they played Souths he wanted to show them he was boss.Well Sattler & O'neill put paid to that.He was pulverized and was never the same player again.
Indeed a big lad with silky skills but as you say the Souths side took a dislike to him and bashed him mercilessly.
He used to do some athletics at the St George Athletics club at Hurstville Oval when my brother were there and we used to call him 1-2
He would run around the 400m track just inside the concrete velodrome and whilst running would count out loud 1-2 to keep himself in step.
If I remember correctly he would do several laps one way then turn around and do it the other way thus teaching himself balance and timing as each leg had a turn as the lead leg.
Funny how important that was to be able to depend on being equally strong if either leg and some horses can do it and others despite their greatness not.
He was a very big unit and naturally talented a shame that he was treated so violently so early on could have been anything.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I think that Aitken’s attack is much better than his defence.

SBD82
I think his biggest problem is his lateral defence and he doesn't know when to come in and when to stay out in the centres. I actually think he be better off as a cc Cup player or at the very least, a bench player.
I think he would do well in the middle

denis preston

First Grade
Indeed a big lad with silky skills but as you say the Souths side took a dislike to him and bashed him mercilessly.
He used to do some athletics at the St George Athletics club at Hurstville Oval when my brother were there and we used to call him 1-2
He would run around the 400m track just inside the concrete velodrome and whilst running would count out loud 1-2 to keep himself in step.
If I remember correctly he would do several laps one way then turn around and do it the other way thus teaching himself balance and timing as each leg had a turn as the lead leg.
Funny how important that was to be able to depend on being equally strong if either leg and some horses can do it and others despite their greatness not.
He was a very big unit and naturally talented a shame that he was treated so violently so early on could have been anything.

Great story OT. This was in a era no where near as professional as today.He could have preferred the normal teenages life or found girls so perhaps his commitment wasn't there, similar to Bruce Pollard, who just got fat.Hope both are having a great life.

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree also hit hard in defense.
I think Ford either a bench player or CC cup at this stage.
Especially with both Kerr and Graham been available for the first round.

All clubs in the NRL, have players in a squad to choose from to form a competitive team to play rugby league each week starting on March 12. Based on good management of their salary cap and third party arrangements, several clubs would have a team of above average players and would therefore be more or less in the winners circle week after week.

Coaches who have these players know that they will do their job on the field without any question as to their abilities and know that they would follow good sound instructions to a T.

Other teams, the Dragons included, consist of possibles and probables and the coaches pick the best they have available to them and the results at the end of the games rest on the players being able to follow the coaches instructions (captain's responsibility to remind the players on the field) and execute each play effectively.

What I am trying to say is that no matter who is selected to play in our first game, if they cannot do the simple things right and battle for the full 80 minutes and the coach is not able to motivate them to do this, then of course, with luck not being involved, we will not win and motivation becomes harder for the next game and so on.

Because we do not have a team of champions as such, we have got to do the little things right all of the time as a team and have resolve and purpose to put in a lot of effort to win. Mr Coach, the ball is in your court to get this right from the get go. You must instil a will to win attitude in all of the players who you decide to choose in the 17 man team.

Old Timer

Coach
Great story OT. This was in a era no where near as professional as today.He could have preferred the normal teenages life or found girls so perhaps his commitment wasn't there, similar to Bruce Pollard, who just got fat.Hope both are having a great life.
BP ran on in 2 premiership winning sides.
Replaced Clay in the 63 GF team (BP was only 18 hello Mc Fookknuckle) and Gasnier in the 66 team so obviously we’ll respected to be able to replace players if that quality.
Had a touch of Lloyd Walker (from Randwick) about him including great skills but sadly also weight issues.
Hard call to be behind Langlands, Smith, Gasnier, Clay, Greaves & co but he was rewarded in the end.
Nice sentiment at the end of your post and I hope they are doing that too
Sad about Brian James recent and untimely death he was a really nice guy.
As we plough on unfortunately more of the names we know only too well will disappear but the likes of you and me did get to see some of the very best of it and I am so thankful for that.

Old Timer

Coach
All clubs in the NRL, have players in a squad to choose from to form a competitive team to play rugby league each week starting on March 12. Based on good management of their salary cap and third party arrangements, several clubs would have a team of above average players and would therefore be more or less in the winners circle week after week.

Coaches who have these players know that they will do their job on the field without any question as to their abilities and know that they would follow good sound instructions to a T.

Other teams, the Dragons included, consist of possibles and probables and the coaches pick the best they have available to them and the results at the end of the games rest on the players being able to follow the coaches instructions (captain's responsibility to remind the players on the field) and execute each play effectively.

What I am trying to say is that no matter who is selected to play in our first game, if they cannot do the simple things right and battle for the full 80 minutes and the coach is not able to motivate them to do this, then of course, with luck not being involved, we will not win and motivation becomes harder for the next game and so on.

Because we do not have a team of champions as such, we have got to do the little things right all of the time as a team and have resolve and purpose to put in a lot of effort to win. Mr Coach, the ball is in your court to get this right from the get go. You must instil a will to win attitude in all of the players who you decide to choose in the 17 man team.
Unfortunately DD the task is beyond him and the ball was dropped and run over by a lawn mower long ago.
The press conferences alone are enough to show his ineptitude let alone the results (lol) we achieve.

This Year?

Immortal
For the Tigers I'd be looking to inject some speed into that backline because the way things looked from both sides last trial games, the Tigers have more points in them than us.

My wish list would be:
1. Sailor
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Williame
5. Pereira
6. Clune (if Clune isn't available then Norman unfortunately).
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Luke
10. Kerr
11. Host
12. Sims
13. Frizell
14. Lovodua
15. Fuimaono
16. Merrin
17. Graham

I would treat this game as pretty much a 3rd trial.