What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Vs The Roosters

Panther Mick

Juniors
A week to go to TLT.
A good time to start a thread for round 1.
I think we can assume Aitkens will be fullback and Luai will be six.
Will Burton play off the bench (mainly cover for Api)
Can Hetherington force his way into the 17?

And most importantly can we cause a boil over and upset the Roosters ?

Whino

Bench
Yes Aitkens will be FB & Luai 6.
Burton probably will play 14 until either Kenny is fit or May is eligible, unless Ivan madly thinks Capewell can give Api a breather. Should he need one.
Yes I would have Hetherington on the bench, like what I have heard over the pre season and seen in the trials. He still has bird brain moments though.

Yes the chooks are beatable if we are on. Home game on a Saturday night. Round 1 pack the joint and give it to the chooks.

OldPanther

Coach
Yes Aitkens will be FB & Luai 6.
Burton probably will play 14 until either Kenny is fit or May is eligible, unless Ivan madly thinks Capewell can give Api a breather. Should he need one.
Yes I would have Hetherington on the bench, like what I have heard over the pre season and seen in the trials. He still has bird brain moments though.

Yes the chooks are beatable if we are on. Home game on a Saturday night. Round 1 pack the joint and give it to the chooks.

May can't until round 5 and Ivan hinted that Luai will be cover for Api. Now that could mean he starts at 6 with Burton on the bench and a shift late in the match.

Kilkenny

Coach
From my perspective we pay over $2 million dollars a season on a coaching team who are involved with the playing group day in day out. They are far better placed to make decisions around our best 17 as opposed to the keyboard warriors on here myself included. I’m happy to put my faith in which ever way coach Cleary goes. I didn’t want him back as coach but he is the coach so happy to run with what he sees as our best 17.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
From my perspective we pay over $2 million dollars a season on a coaching team who are involved with the playing group day in day out. They are far better placed to make decisions around our best 17 as opposed to the keyboard warriors on here myself included. I’m happy to put my faith in which ever way coach Cleary goes. I didn’t want him back as coach but he is the coach so happy to run with what he sees as our best 17.

My thoughts exactly.

There was a comment on this forum some days ago where the poster stated 'I watch more games on the weekend than the coach does, so my ideas are more valid.'

I hope the person in question was joking. :eek:

I did reply in a 'joking manner'.

The coach and staffs are paid big bucks to make the right decisions, they see the players day in day out. They have computers which measure all types of things about their training.

Coaching staffs know a heck of a lot more than I do about which player is best suited to a particular position.

(I know it's fun to speculate, but to believe you know more as a neville nobody than the combined wisdom of the coaching group......well I have a bridge you might like to buy.'

Kilkenny

Coach
The way I see it, as a keyboard warrior, the team largely picks itself assuming you don’t pick players away from there natural or best positions.

Aekins, Mansour, Whare, Chrichton, To’o, Burton, Cleary, JFH, Yeo, Kikau, Tetevano, Koroisau, Tamou. Bench Capewell, Leota, Hetherington and Martin.

The above is my team to play against the Roosters, It won’t be the 17 but that’s my personal preference given what I think is the best team to beat the Roosters. I’m sure Ivan’s team will be two or three players different to mine.

Crashtest

Juniors
Aekins, Mansour, Whare, Chrichton, To’o, Burton, Cleary, JFH, Yeo, Kikau, Tetevano, Koroisau, Tamou. Bench Capewell, Leota, Hetherington and Martin.

The above is my team to play against the Roosters, It won’t be the 17 but that’s my personal preference given what I think is the best team to beat the Roosters. I’m sure Ivan’s team will be two or three players different to mine.

Is there a reason why you wouldn’t pick Naden in the team?

Kilkenny

Coach
Is there a reason why you wouldn’t pick Naden in the team?

I like Brent don’t get me wrong.

I just think he has flaws in his game which can really hurt. As we saw against the Eels there were at least two very poor reads in defence and a couple of handling errors one of which led to the Eels having a chance to win the game but for the missed conversation.

At NRL level you cannot afford to carry someone who may make such poor decisions in defence and or make fundamental handling errors in key areas.

I think he will be in the team, he just wouldn’t be in mine for Round 1 and I would go with the future in Chrichton.

BxTom

Bench
My thoughts exactly.

There was a comment on this forum some days ago where the poster stated 'I watch more games on the weekend than the coach does, so my ideas are more valid.'

I hope the person in question was joking. :eek:

I did reply in a 'joking manner'.

The coach and staffs are paid big bucks to make the right decisions, they see the players day in day out. They have computers which measure all types of things about their training.

Coaching staffs know a heck of a lot more than I do about which player is best suited to a particular position.

(I know it's fun to speculate, but to believe you know more as a neville nobody than the combined wisdom of the coaching group......well I have a bridge you might like to buy.'
I would be sure that the coaching team would be doing more analysis of games than we are able to and that they will have access to better coverage and statistics than we do too.

Latest posts