What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion of the Women's Competition

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Word from a friend of mine in QLD is that many grassroots clubs are actively seeking out/headhunting senior women to enter into professional development pathways through the clubs in order to expand the female talent pool in QLD. Whilst this might not necessarily be news to anyone, it does show that the QRL sees value in the women's game and is taking its growth seriously.

Could lead to a second QLD team entering the NRLW in the next few years. My bet would be the Titans due to its proximity to Brisbane, allowing it to share the female talent in SE QLD.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Word from a friend of mine in QLD is that many grassroots clubs are actively seeking out/headhunting senior women to enter into professional development pathways through the clubs in order to expand the female talent pool in QLD. Whilst this might not necessarily be news to anyone, it does show that the QRL sees value in the women's game and is taking its growth seriously.

Could lead to a second QLD team entering the NRLW in the next few years. My bet would be the Titans due to its proximity to Brisbane, allowing it to share the female talent in SE QLD.
there's been a big push throughout all levels of the league for the women's game including junior league. should be good things to come for the women's game

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
My preferred options for an expanded NRLW would be:

Promote one of the Tarsha Gale Cup (NSW) teams to the NRLW. My preference would be either Canberra, Newcastle or Penrith to cater for the girls on the outer edges of Metro Sydney.

Have a second team in SEQLD, the Titans. This way they can split the emerging female talent in SE QLD between the Broncos and Titans. The Burleigh Bears have been powerhouses in the SE QLD Women's Div 1 comp from 2015-2019.

Just my thoughts but keen to hear what others have to say.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/26/huge-turnover-of-stars-to-spark-nrlw-expansion-debate/

MugaB

Coach
My preferred options for an expanded NRLW would be:

Promote one of the Tarsha Gale Cup (NSW) teams to the NRLW. My preference would be either Canberra, Newcastle or Penrith to cater for the girls on the outer edges of Metro Sydney.

Have a second team in SEQLD, the Titans. This way they can split the emerging female talent in SE QLD between the Broncos and Titans. The Burleigh Bears have been powerhouses in the SE QLD Women's Div 1 comp from 2015-2019.

Just my thoughts but keen to hear what others have to say.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/26/huge-turnover-of-stars-to-spark-nrlw-expansion-debate/
Newcastle, Penrith and Townsville would be good

siv

First Grade
Cronulla and Souths were ready 3 years ago and still are today

Nothing has changed on that front

Almost all remaining NRL clubs in NSW now have NSWRL-W with standard improving every year

So if the strategy is to mirror the 16 NRL clubs in NRLW we are close to being ready for that.

Just need the NRL to offer additional grants for women players and remove the elite contract system

MugaB

Coach
Cronulla and Souths were ready 3 years ago and still are today

Nothing has changed on that front

Almost all remaining NRL clubs in NSW now have NSWRL-W with standard improving every year

So if the strategy is to mirror the 16 NRL clubs in NRLW we are close to being ready for that.

Just need the NRL to offer additional grants for women players and remove the elite contract system
I'd say before they expand with more teams they need to expand to more rounds ateast stretch it to 10-12 rounds, plus finals, at the moment only playing during the mens finals isn't enough to show a proper competition between the teams, i reckon, with the 4 teams add 2 more, and have them all play each other twice then top3 into finals, minor premiers get week1 off

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I hope Tigers, Dogs and Sharks never get a licence and instead we bring in Perth and Adelaide, when ready and any other future NRL unrepresented city/region when deemed ready.

I'm even loathed to bring in Souths now that the NRL have stuffed it with the Roosters being given a licence over them. Otherwise the Roosters would of been in my "never to get a licence" list too.

I mean why repeat the problems we have now in the mens game ffs. Canterbury? Are they kidding? Penrith or Parra should be next with another out of towner team.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I hope Tigers, Dogs and Sharks never get a licence and instead we bring in Perth and Adelaide, when ready and any other future NRL unrepresented city/region when deemed ready.

I'm even loathed to bring in Souths now that the NRL have stuffed it with the Roosters being given a licence over them. Otherwise the Roosters would of been in my "never to get a licence" list too.

I mean why repeat the problems we have now in the mens game ffs. Canterbury? Are they kidding? Penrith or Parra should be next with another out of towner team.
Absolutely agree! We don't need every current NRL Club getting a women's team as well. You'e right that it would only be problematic in the long run. I think a few key areas within Sydney to cover the main NSW catchment when the talent is abundantly available, and the rest should be across the nation.

Could it be that the NRLW could be the first truly National rugby league competition? It's definitely not impossible. Maybe the West Coast Pirates should start developing that bid now.

Maybe not at the next NRLW expansion but eventually I would see an NRLW competition like this....

Sydney Roosters
St George-Illawarra Dragons
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
North QLD Cowgirls
Melbourne Storm
West Coast Pirates
Adelaide (whatever they get called)
New Zealand Warriors

12 teams, each plays each other twice (H/A) + full finals setup. Commences a few weeks after the mens comp starts to align the Grand Finals on the same day. Top 5 or 6 with Minor Prems (or 1st & 2nd) earning a week or 2 off.

Top 5 set up

1st has 2 weeks off.
Preliminary Finals:
2nd vs 5th
3rd vs 4th

Semi-final:
Winner 2nd v 5th plays winner 3rd vs 4th

Grand Final:
1st vs winner Semi-final

Top 6 set up

1st & 2nd has week off.
Preliminary Finals:
3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th

Semi-final:
Winner 3rd v 6th plays 1st
Winner 4th v 5th plays 2nd

Grand Final:
Winner or each semi-final plays each other

TheRam

Coach
Absolutely agree! We don't need every current NRL Club getting a women's team as well. You'e right that it would only be problematic in the long run. I think a few key areas within Sydney to cover the main NSW catchment when the talent is abundantly available, and the rest should be across the nation.

Could it be that the NRLW could be the first truly National rugby league competition? It's definitely not impossible. Maybe the West Coast Pirates should start developing that bid now.

Maybe not at the next NRLW expansion but eventually I would see an NRLW competition like this....

Sydney Roosters
St George-Illawarra Dragons
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
North QLD Cowgirls
Melbourne Storm
West Coast Pirates
Adelaide (whatever they get called)
New Zealand Warriors

12 teams, each plays each other twice (H/A) + full finals setup. Commences a few weeks after the mens comp starts to align the Grand Finals on the same day. Top 5 or 6 with Minor Prems (or 1st & 2nd) earning a week or 2 off.

Top 5 set up

1st has 2 weeks off.
Preliminary Finals:
2nd vs 5th
3rd vs 4th

Semi-final:
Winner 2nd v 5th plays winner 3rd vs 4th

Grand Final:
1st vs winner Semi-final

Top 6 set up

1st & 2nd has week off.
Preliminary Finals:
3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th

Semi-final:
Winner 3rd v 6th plays 1st
Winner 4th v 5th plays 2nd

Grand Final:
Winner or each semi-final plays each other

The only thing I would add to that is ultimately you could not leave out Parra. They are arguably the biggest supported team in Sydney and the second largest junior base, with the best suburban stadium. Lunacy to leave them out. Maybe bring in a 2nd Brisbane team to mirror the QLD teams so we even the numbers out again and avoid the dreaded bye.

Edit: I keep forgetting about North Sydney(Manly) representation. So hold off on the 2nd Brisbane team and bring in North Sydney Sea Eagles with the maroon and white colours to represent the whole of the area and at least get the girls to fix the mistakes of the mens setup, to include everyone over the bridge. Hopefully with that happening the Manly club will finally relent and change too. We need to include as many people as possible. As many as possible need to be made welcome and embrace this new comp. None of this small suburb stuff now when starting out in the 21st century.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
https://www.roosters.com.au/news/20...entral-coast-roosters-nsw-womens-premiership/

Roosters to establish women's team in the NSWRL Women's competition... in Central Coast.

Sounds great, hopefully it is an insight into the future of both the men's and women's NRL sides.

I know, what about the new stadium being built? Well sure they will be playing in it no doubt, but it will still be an ugly and embarrassing look with only around 10-12K in a 45K Stadium.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
The only thing I would add to that is ultimately you could not leave out Parra. They are arguably the biggest supported team in Sydney and the second largest junior base, with the best suburban stadium. Lunacy to leave them out. Maybe bring in a 2nd Brisbane team to mirror the QLD teams so we even the numbers out again and avoid the dreaded bye.

Edit: I keep forgetting about North Sydney(Manly) representation. So hold off on the 2nd Brisbane team and bring in North Sydney Sea Eagles with the maroon and white colours to represent the whole of the area and at least get the girls to fix the mistakes of the mens setup, to include everyone over the bridge. Hopefully with that happening the Manly club will finally relent and change too. We need to include as many people as possible. As many as possible need to be made welcome and embrace this new comp. None of this small suburb stuff now when starting out in the 21st century.
Unfortunely I left Parra out in favour of Penrith just for the further reach out west. It was a toss of the coin though. I have also left out Manly or North Sydney to avoid the over saturation of the Sydney market, thus avoiding the issue the men's game already has.

Essentially I took the current allocation of teams as I don't see them being cut away unless they withdraw/forfeit their NRLW licences (which I don't see happening). Only if Dragons or Roosters withdraw from the NRLW, then there should be another Sydney based team to take their place.

To this end, Sydney Roosters covers the main Sydney metro area (North of the bridge included, + South and inner west), Dragons down south + the shire/South East, Newcastle to the north (including regional North and Gosford), Canberra for the regional South west catchment, Penrith as a western catchment. Titans could be replaced with whatever new Brisbane team they opt for but ideally I'd prefer to see them in there to cover the Northern Rivers and Gold Coast female catchment. Brisbane is Brisbane and Cowgirls fills the requirement for FNQ catchment. One team in each of the affiliated states (Vic, WA and SA + NZ) fills a 12 team, truly national competition. I wouldn't really see it growing any further than that. The reason it won't work for the men is the already ingrained abundance of sydney clubs.

I don't think NSW would need anymore teams than that. Including Manly/North Sydney would just be supporting that small suburban outlook that you say you want to avoid.

TheRam

Coach
Unfortunely I left Parra out in favour of Penrith just for the further reach out west. It was a toss of the coin though. I have also left out Manly or North Sydney to avoid the over saturation of the Sydney market, thus avoiding the issue the men's game already has.

Essentially I took the current allocation of teams as I don't see them being cut away unless they withdraw/forfeit their NRLW licences (which I don't see happening). Only if Dragons or Roosters withdraw from the NRLW, then there should be another Sydney based team to take their place.

To this end, Sydney Roosters covers the main Sydney metro area (North of the bridge included, + South and inner west), Dragons down south + the shire/South East, Newcastle to the north (including regional North and Gosford), Canberra for the regional South west catchment, Penrith as a western catchment. Titans could be replaced with whatever new Brisbane team they opt for but ideally I'd prefer to see them in there to cover the Northern Rivers and Gold Coast female catchment. Brisbane is Brisbane and Cowgirls fills the requirement for FNQ catchment. One team in each of the affiliated states (Vic, WA and SA + NZ) fills a 12 team, truly national competition. I wouldn't really see it growing any further than that. The reason it won't work for the men is the already ingrained abundance of sydney clubs.

I don't think NSW would need anymore teams than that. Including Manly/North Sydney would just be supporting that small suburban outlook that you say you want to avoid.

If you think that the people on the North Shore will embrace the Roosters as their team, you're dreaming. The North Shore will need their own team.

Also the number one team in the State is Parra by almost any metric and you opt to ignore them. Genius. So we have the best stadium in the country to watch RL, and you say big whoop, lets not use it. Who needs fans, right?

Sorry mate, I get you don't want saturation in Sydney, but some teams are just mandatory and essential to the well being of the game as a whole. In fact, if it came down to a choice between Parra or Penrith, Parra would win that debate every single time. And to ignore the whole of Sydney's North is just plain folly.

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
If you think that the people on the North Shore will embrace the Roosters as their team, you're dreaming. The North Shore will need their own team.

Also the number one team in the State is Parra by almost any metric and you opt to ignore them. Genius. So we have the best stadium in the country to watch RL, and you say big whoop, lets not use it. Who needs fans, right?

Sorry mate, I get you don't want saturation in Sydney, but some teams are just mandatory and essential to the well being of the game as a whole. In fact, if it came down to a choice between Parra or Penrith, Parra would win that debate every single time. And to ignore the whole of Sydney's North is just plain folly.
Ok, and that is your opinion. You are entitled to it as am I with mine.

My NRLW competition make-up is a concept only... it doesn’t have to take everything into account. If it did, I’d probably be running the NRL. Simple fact is I chose one team to represent the west and it wasn’t the team you support. Nothing wrong with that. You are entitled to think differently and have your own mock competition make-up.

As for the Roosters, they are an already existing team in the NRLW, and along with the Dragons are the only teams representing all of Sydney. Does this mean all of Sydney follows them now... no. Do I expect all of Sydney to follow the Roosters women’s NRLW team... no.

My distribution of teams was not based on fan support but on catchment locations. I did not want to oversaturate Sydney with every small region of Sydney having their own team because then that’s how we end up with the current issue in the men’s game. The roosters have already established a presence on the central coast to capture the female talent there so between that and Newcastle the area is already serviced for women’s catchment and doesn’t need a North Sydney or a Manly.

You are more than welcome to propose your own concept of what the NRLW would look like, but don’t trash talk me for having an opinion that differs from yours. Do something constructive instead.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
^This.....

....... is a direct contradiction to this
I know, what about the new stadium being built? Well sure they will be playing in it no doubt, but it will still be an ugly and embarrassing look with only around 10-12K in a 45K Stadium.

MugaB

Coach
If i were to admit more womens teams
It would morso like these 12 teams and only more if we expand to WA/SA.

Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Sydney Roosters (City+Northern Sydney)
St George-Illawarra Dragons (Sthcoast+Shire)
Wests Tigers (Western Sydney)
Newcastle Knights (Gosford+North Coast)
Canberra Raiders (+Country NSW South)
Penrith Panthers (+Country NSW West)
Canterbury Bulldogs (Southern Sydney)
Gold Coast Titans (+Northern Rivers)
North QLD Gold Stars (+PNG)
Melbourne Storm

siv

First Grade
If i were to admit more womens teams
It would morso like these 12 teams and only more if we expand to WA/SA.

Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Sydney Roosters (City+Northern Sydney)
St George-Illawarra Dragons (Sthcoast+Shire)
Wests Tigers (Western Sydney)
Newcastle Knights (Gosford+North Coast)
Canberra Raiders (+Country NSW South)
Penrith Panthers (+Country NSW West)
Canterbury Bulldogs (Southern Sydney)
Gold Coast Titans (+Northern Rivers)
North QLD Gold Stars (+PNG)
Melbourne Storm

You cant have the SL war model where 4 NRL clubs represent other NRL clubs

As a example Easts are actually a Central Coast based juniors team and not Sydney junior

While St George Illawarra are a Illawarra juniors based team

And you deliberatly excluded teams like Souths and Cronulla and even Parramatta who have had successful women teams since 1997

Better that women NRL mirror the 16 NRL clubs so game day can be women then mens

MugaB

Coach
You cant have the SL war model where 4 NRL clubs represent other NRL clubs

As a example Easts are actually a Central Coast based juniors team and not Sydney junior

While St George Illawarra are a Illawarra juniors based team

And you deliberatly excluded teams like Souths and Cronulla and even Parramatta who have had successful women teams since 1997

Better that women NRL mirror the 16 NRL clubs so game day can be women then mens
Well currently sydney roosters are getting women from Newcastle, isabell kelly for example, but then she's gone to dragons now. For me its all about a pathway not nessesarely club based promoted womens teams, as for parramatta women team they'd only be for parramatta and their catchment, where wests tigers represent a larger area of balmain, ashfield and campbelltown, but play in Parramatta at Bankwest, thats just an example

T-Boon

Coach

Penrith is too far west. There is nothing to the west of them. You want a team where people are coming from a full 360 radius around them. Better off having the west team 20 or 30 odd kms east of Penrith but easily accessible by train and car.

Latest posts