What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You have no idea what you're talking about mate

He has no idea what the mortality rate actually is in practice, nor does he know that death is not the only way to quantify a disease and it's severity.

A flashback:

In 2003, it was said SARS was going to kill us all.

It didn’t.

In 2005, Bird Flu was supposed to wreak havoc.

It didn’t.

In 2009, Swine Flu was definitely the one to polish us all off.

Nope, not even close.

As recently as 2016, Zika virus was predicted to wipe out humanity.

Wrong again.

Mass hysteria is far worse than any of these diseases, and claims more lives per annum.

Brutalitops

Juniors
A flashback:

It didn’t.

It didn’t.

Nope, not even close.

Wrong again.

Mass hysteria is far worse than any of these diseases, and claims more lives per annum.
Who's talking about extinction here? So because it might not wipe out the planet, it's not worth getting under control because it doesn't affect the majority infected badly?

You have no idea how to consider the effects of carriers on the vulnerable and, even more so, the effects this can have on health systems in almost every country. I won't even get started on irrelevant comparisons to different past epidemics. I do find it cute you tried to downplay it by comparisons to SARS, which maxed out around 9000 cases, while COVID-19 is already at 130,000 confirmed, but in reality will be at half a million within weeks.

The reason for limiting crowds isn't to "save humanity" and overreact like your poorly educated stance likes to think. No matter what the virus is likely to infect a large number of people regardless of whether events go ahead or not.

What the objective of these policies is, is to spread that number out over a longer period of time. Health systems will collapse under the numbers all around the world if the peak is too large. There is a difference between contain and delay. When contain fails, delay has multiple benefits.

Your dismissive statements on the area are honestly not worthy of a response, and sound like tired Facebook boomer arguments that have been old since mid-January. But I reply not for your education, but because misinformation and the "oh it doesn't effect me" recurrence must be combated, for any other readers' benefit who may take your dangerous rhetoric seriously.

The world is winding down at the recommendation of every single reputable health organisation there is, all of which employ countless scientific and health staff with thousands of years of study and experience between them. Data and simulations which any intelligent person can access show the virus is fightable, and yes, may really be "nothing to worry about" for 90 percent of the population. But that's not how health science works. I'm sure many here know someone aged over 70. And they may also not find it comforting that just because they are younger and likely not at risk, that they are supposed to not take measures protect elderly and handicapped populations who this virus has the potential to ravage.

I could honestly go on and on. I could talk in detail about how the virus has been shown to leave longer lasting negative effects on the lungs on those who recover. Or talk about the silly comparisons the uneducated love to parrot on about to the flu, despite the fact humanity has had vaccines and built immunity to it over time. I could also mention the nature of transmission being over double the common flu.

So nah, very little of what the world is doing is "overreaction". I would in fact argue that there is an alarming sense of underreaction from those who wish to bury their heads in the sand without thinking 2 weeks ahead, as should be happening.

There's just one part I'll concede to you Jimmy. The overreaction and hysteria of the toilet paper hoarding is misplaced and stupid.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A flashback:

It didn’t.

It didn’t.

Nope, not even close.

Wrong again.

So what's your solution?

cussy

Juniors
Who's talking about extinction here? So because it might not wipe out the planet, it's not worth getting under control because it doesn't affect the majority infected badly?

You have no idea how to consider the effects of carriers on the vulnerable and, even more so, the effects this can have on health systems in almost every country. I won't even get started on irrelevant comparisons to different past epidemics. I do find it cute you tried to downplay it by comparisons to SARS, which maxed out around 9000 cases, while COVID-19 is already at 130,000 confirmed, but in reality will be at half a million within weeks.

The reason for limiting crowds isn't to "save humanity" and overreact like your poorly educated stance likes to think. No matter what the virus is likely to infect a large number of people regardless of whether events go ahead or not.

What the objective of these policies is, is to spread that number out over a longer period of time. Health systems will collapse under the numbers all around the world if the peak is too large. There is a difference between contain and delay. When contain fails, delay has multiple benefits.

Your dismissive statements on the area are honestly not worthy of a response, and sound like tired Facebook boomer arguments that have been old since mid-January. But I reply not for your education, but because misinformation and the "oh it doesn't effect me" recurrence must be combated, for any other readers' benefit who may take your dangerous rhetoric seriously.

The world is winding down at the recommendation of every single reputable health organisation there is, all of which employ countless scientific and health staff with thousands of years of study and experience between them. Data and simulations which any intelligent person can access show the virus is fightable, and yes, may really be "nothing to worry about" for 90 percent of the population. But that's not how health science works. I'm sure many here know someone aged over 70. And they may also not find it comforting that just because they are younger and likely not at risk, that they are supposed to not take measures protect elderly and handicapped populations who this virus has the potential to ravage.

I could honestly go on and on. I could talk in detail about how the virus has been shown to leave longer lasting negative effects on the lungs on those who recover. Or talk about the silly comparisons the uneducated love to parrot on about to the flu, despite the fact humanity has had vaccines and built immunity to it over time. I could also mention the nature of transmission being over double the common flu.

So nah, very little of what the world is doing is "overreaction". I would in fact argue that there is an alarming sense of underreaction from those who wish to bury their heads in the sand without thinking 2 weeks ahead, as should be happening.

There's just one part I'll concede to you Jimmy. The overreaction and hysteria of the toilet paper hoarding is misplaced and stupid.
Brilliant post!

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

great post mate

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Misinformation, you say?

I’ll be brief.

Is it convenience that you’ve failed to acknowledge that the elderly, infirmed and those with weak immune systems etc. are susceptible to viruses anyway?

In this respect, COVID-19 is not much different to the examples provided earlier on. As my chemist said today, it’s not much worse than a horrible cold.

Dangerous rhetoric? Sounds much alike to the mass stupidity demonstrated by those currently hoarding dunny paper.

mickeylane

Bench
The competition will cease by round 3 if not round 2.. no behind closed doors no one city games .. over ! The comp will close down for initially 30 days and go from there but the catch up games will be too many and a short comp starting in say late May is not feasible so what will happen is either some sort of claytons 10 round comp or no comp at all - def no SOO and possibly with someone having to stump up $200m worth of players wages for 2020 and a pissed off Foxtel, ch 9 as rights holders not to mention major sponsors of the teams . remember we stil have the drama of an NRL player to contract the virus which is absolutely inevitable and that will be the death knell . Australia has yet to feel the brunt of this virus and I’m thinking this won’t happen until mid April and god knows how long before it goes away.. I’d be more worried about our livelihoods being affected - the NRL looks a goner this year along w every other major outdoor sport in this country .. absolutely mind boggling ...

mickeylane

Bench
Guys comp will stop for 4 weeks.. players managers informed this morning by NRL that an announcement may even happen in the morning - take it as given - I’m saying the comp won’t start again this year IMO or if it does it won’t start until say June and finish in November again not sure how that will work w broadcast and venues

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Correct!!!!

Do some RESEARCH people!

FFS!!!
Lol. Getting into meltdown territory there Jimmy. The post from someone who says, "don't panic"

Fair advice, don't use caps and exclamation marks when telling others to calm down.

Do you even know what you're protesting about?

Brutalitops

Juniors
Correct!!!!

Do some RESEARCH people!

FFS!!!
Might be the most ironic post in LU history lol

I'd like to see the research you have done. I assure you, my post above which took apart your argument is entirely sourced by the World Health Organisation, Australian Medical Association, the AHPPC and other official health organisations around the world which I have been monitoring since early January. As well as reputable international news organisations.

Perhaps it needs to be spelt out for you, but here a graph that was initially intended to be used on children but certain childish adults sometimes fall under the target demographic.

Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

Because you are apparently so into "research" you'll note sources are included on this children's gif. Geared towards a specific healthcare system, however the same principle applies. Cases, even those which may not be severe, can require hospital resources to either test or treat. If all of these are coming at once, the system is not going to cope with the pressure. This is exactly what is happening in Italy, as their COVID bubble burst all at once, leaving cities and especially regional areas unable to cope with demand. There are multiple accounts of verified doctors in Italy describing the situation as a nightmare over there, which you will surely be aware of considering all your "research".

So again, whether you think it's "just a flu" or not really doesn't matter. Well it does, because that's dumb, but it's about the bigger picture. Even if HALF of the vulnerable population becomes infected in too short a period of time, our very own system in Australia will be unable to cope. This is simple fact.

And now try and think about remote areas and regional ones, and then amplify the above issue even more so. The maths simply does not add up unless the peak is spread out. The way to do this is limit public gatherings, which is, objectively, and you honestly cannot deny this one, one of the most common ways to spread ANYTHING, let alone a virus with no vaccine which is more than 2x as transmissible as the common flu.

So sorry to deconstruct your posts with essay responses twice in one night, but you're in well over your head mate. Pull your head in and stop with the shitty nothing is wrong attitude because it has been old since January

Crush

Coach
Such a long rant only to go back and delete it all?
Cmon BLM01, if you post something at least own it.