What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 - Rabbitohs vs Sharks: Saturday 14th March 5:30pm @ANZ Stadium

truthslayer

Juniors
Not sure what to make of that game. But Souths had a terrible second half.
Some Observations my opinions of course. Burgess - Good in the first half asleep in the second. Knight- great game one mistake with offload Cook- average gave away to many penalties in second haif. Tatola best player for souths, Murray solid and working hard, Nicholls no impact needs to improve Sele great game good momentum played better than nicholls Lowe - solid Walker and reynolds solid , Gagai good ,
Graham solid Burns needs to lift very poor in defense and ball security. Mitchell ? Jimmy the jet sparked when he had chances Johnston solid when he came on. Sua solid...... Far to many stupid penalties in second half.

Referee POOR! allowed cronulla to slow play lie on top, souths only had to infringe slightly and penalty . Very Poor

callmack1

Staff member
Yeww we start the year off on a winning note!! Great way to get our Season underway!! How good is it to have the Footy back?!! Absolutely stoked to get the win but we do have a lot to work on as that was a very mixed game for us and we were a bit lucky to win in the end. The first half wasn't perfect but it was pretty damn good for a Round 1 game, as good as we could hope for really and I was quite impressed. That saw the score blow out and we stretched to a 22-8 lead with about 20 minutes to go. However, it was at this point things started to go a little pear shaped. At 22-8, it looked like we put the cue in the rack and kind of said 'job done.' Wayne pulled Latrell off and the boys went into their shells as the effort dropped away. We sort of clocked off if you will. This allowed the Sharks to get back into the game and it was only a few good tackles and a bit of luck that saved us in the end. It isn't good enough to let the foot off the throat like that and we need to be better. But it's Round 1 so we can't expect to be perfect I guess.

Attack overall was good without being great. As I alluded to earlier, it was especially that first half that we looked good. The timing was out and it did look pretty clunky at times but we can expect that for the early Rounds, overall it wasn't bad at all. We weathered an early Cronulla surge and then after that we had no problems making ground. In fact, we were pouring through the middle off the back of great efforts from Tatola, Knight and Burgess. We scored some nice tries off the back of that and stretched them at times through some pretty good play. In addition to this, the boys were able to apply pressure and spend some extended time down there through forcing repeat sets. A few ppor errors in there of course but that was evidence of it being Round 1 and I was pretty happy with the completion rate. However, there isn't much to talk about in attack for that second half because as I said, we got complacent.

Similarly, I'd say the defence was good without being great. Didn't do a lot of defence in the first stanza but what we did do was quality. Holding them out, restricting their meters and even bundling them into touch in a strong showing at one stage. The boys didn't look too loose around the ruck and I thought the line speed was solid. But once again, this all fell away in that second 40. I think it all started with some poor defensive dicipline as we gave away some piggy back penalties which created opportunities for them. What's more, for some reason the line speed dropped away and instead of advancing as a line towards the ball carrier, our boys would take a few steps and then wait for the attacking player to come to them which in my opinion, helped change the momentum of the game. I wouldn't say we got lazy, but there was signs of laziness as players were clocking off in defence a little. As we all saw, the left edge defence got shaky and we conceded two quick tries. Staying focussed defensively for 80 minutes is a big work on.

Just as a little side note before I get into the player-by-player analysis, I wasn't a big fan of Wayne's interchange stratergy and it left me a little confused. Not sure why he brought all three of Tatola, Knight and Burgess off at the same time when they were going so well and were puring through the middle. With no disrespect to Sele, Lowe and Nicholls, we just didn't have that same punch in the middle once those starting forwards came off and you could sense the Sharks warming to the contest in this period. In my opinion, the timing of bringing those three guys off should be staggered so we don't lose so much 'umpff' all at once.

Anyway,

Mitchell: I'm going to be harsh here but it's no disrespect to Latrell as I still think he will be a star for us, it's just a matter of easing him into it hopefully. But he wasn't great tonight. Had a couple of good touches and good runs but that was about it. I think he ended up with only four runs. Made an error too. Like I say, hopefully it's a matter of easing him into it and I think Latrell will be brilliant in time but you need more from your fullback in the modern game than that. A lot more. A fullback can't just chime in on set plays and do kick returns, they have to be constantly on the ball and sniffing around the ruck as well as being able to quickly get into position out wide. We didn't see that at all from Latrell tonight so hopefully it's something he builds into. I have a lot of faith in him because the early signs are there!!

Gagai: Pretty solid tonight. He had some really good runs coming out of our own end and when he had the ball, Gags gave it his all. Pretty solid in defence too apart from the one mis-read that lead to Wade Graham's try. So not a bad night for Gags, he just needs to get more involved.

Roberts: Was good. Strong runs tonight and he certainly showed us glimpses of what he could potentially do this year. When Reyno gave him early ball (seemed to happen a lot more than it did last year which is a good sign) he looked very threatening, like he could break the line at any moment. And he did on that one run late in the game where we had a fantastic run and offloaded it to Cookie in a great position. So yea, the signs are there.

Burns: Burnsy was okay. Had a few strong runs to get us out of trouble, especially from dummy half. He almost scored that try in a great show of strength but ended up losing it instead. His work on 'd' wasn't super impressive and he did struggle in that regard a bit in the second half. To me, it seemed like him and Campbell didn't quite have that defensive cohesion. That'll take time.

Graham: Like Burns, he was okay. Did well to finish a great play from Lowe for his try and took some pretty solid runs but as I mentioned earlier, he didn't work the best with Burns on defence.

Walker: A bit quiet tonight from Cody, that's not to say he was bad, just quiet. Didn't have a huge impact in attack, didn't look like his illusive best and he seemed to get caught with the ball a little too much. I must say I was really, really impressed with his kicking game though, that was outstanding.

Reynolds: I thought Reyno was mostly good. In fact, he was brilliant in that first half. Directed the boys around well and it was so awesome to see him running the ball a few times. It looked incredibly dangerous. Scored that brilliant try as a result of his crafty running. What's more, he had the ball on a string close to the line, putting in some brilliant short kicks which helped build pressure. But like a few others, he didn't look as good in the second stanza. Hopefully his back injury from last year isn't flairing up again.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Take a bow Junior!! Absolutely outstanding! Got to be honest, that is probably the best game I've ever seen him play he was that good. Ran so hard and got those big legs driving after contact which saw him pick up great extra meters. His workrate surprised me too as he just kept going and going until he had to come off. In the end, I think he ended up with about 200 running meters and around 30 tackles which is just outstanding. He's my man of the match.

Cook: Big improvement from Damien on his last few games. Brought those forward onto the ball pretty well, overall his service and decision making was better and when he ran, he didn't panic; just ran and took the tackle which is what we want to see as he's more dangerous that way. He wasn't perfect though. Cookie still has moments that concern me. Like in this game were he's throw some poor passes or pass it to a player under massive pressure close to the line or when he tried to do too much and put that kick that failed in himself. Plus, his defensive dicipline was sloppy towards the end of the game with a few strips in there. So he is improving, we just need him back at his best.

Burgess: Super, super impressive in his first stint tonight as he ran hard and just bulldozed his way into and through that Cronulla line time and time again. It laid a great platform and this is what we ant to see from Tom. Didn't have that same impact in his second stint sadly.

Su'a: Pretty decent game from Jaydn. He gave it his all and had a number of quality runs. Showed signs that a good combo is forming between him and Reyno. Solid in defence and only had the one error when he offloaded to to Rudolf.

Murray: A quiet night by his lofty standards. Had a fair number of those classic Cam Murray runs that make good meteres and produce a quick-play-the-ball but you certainly wouldn't say he was super influential like we;ve come to expect. I don't think we'll see Cam really explode until about Round five to eight. It's clear that he is in a transition period with his positional switch and it will take time for him to adjust. Once he does watch out.

Knight: Impressive performance. You can see he's really trying to take that forward leader role and I have no doubt he can warm into it. Ran very well tonight as he just charged into the defence on every run as hard as he could which saw him pick up a fair few meters. What's more, he produced a few brilliant offloads tonight. Yes, some of them lead to errors but it's not always going to go his way. That hit he put on Wade Graham late in the game was Sam Burgess like and it was certainly inspiring.

Nicholls: I don't want to disrespect Mark at all but he had virtually no impact tonight. Got driven back of stopped dead in his tracks on most of his runs and we need a lot better than that.

Lowe: Simialr to Nicholls in that I though he didn't have a massive impact. Had a couple of good runs and he did produce that brilliant play for Campbell's try which was outstanding but we need more from him also.

Sele: He was solid I thought and he looks the most likely of our bench currently. Gave everything his all. His game highlight was that brilliant one on one strip that came from nowhere.

Johnston: Not too much to say as he didn't get a lot of minutes but did produce that brilliant intercept and 50 meter run.

So yea, we have a lot to work on but that's to be expected - It is Round 1 after all. Stoked to start the Season with a win!

Rabbit57

Juniors
Tatola: Take a bow Junior!! Absolutely outstanding! Got to be honest, that is probably the best game I've ever seen him play he was that good. Ran so hard and got those big legs driving after contact which saw him pick up great extra meters. His workrate surprised me too as he just kept going and going until he had to come off. In the end, I think he ended up with about 200 running meters and around 30 tackles which is just outstanding. He's my man of the match.

Cook: Big improvement from Damien on his last few games. Brought those forward onto the ball pretty well, overall his service and decision making was better and when he ran, he didn't panic; just ran and took the tackle which is what we want to see as he's more dangerous that way. He wasn't perfect though. Cookie still has moments that concern me. Like in this game were he's throw some poor passes or pass it to a player under massive pressure close to the line or when he tried to do too much and put that kick that failed in himself. Plus, his defensive dicipline was sloppy towards the end of the game with a few strips in there. So he is improving, we just need him back at his best.

Burgess: Super, super impressive in his first stint tonight as he ran hard and just bulldozed his way into and through that Cronulla line time and time again. It laid a great platform and this is what we ant to see from Tom. Didn't have that same impact in his second stint sadly.

Su'a: Pretty decent game from Jaydn. He gave it his all and had a number of quality runs. Showed signs that a good combo is forming between him and Reyno. Solid in defence and only had the one error when he offloaded to to Rudolf.

Murray: A quiet night by his lofty standards. Had a fair number of those classic Cam Murray runs that make good meteres and produce a quick-play-the-ball but you certainly wouldn't say he was super influential like we;ve come to expect. I don't think we'll see Cam really explode until about Round five to eight. It's clear that he is in a transition period with his positional switch and it will take time for him to adjust. Once he does watch out.

Knight: Impressive performance. You can see he's really trying to take that forward leader role and I have no doubt he can warm into it. Ran very well tonight as he just charged into the defence on every run as hard as he could which saw him pick up a fair few meters. What's more, he produced a few brilliant offloads tonight. Yes, some of them lead to errors but it's not always going to go his way. That hit he put on Wade Graham late in the game was Sam Burgess like and it was certainly inspiring.

Nicholls: I don't want to disrespect Mark at all but he had virtually no impact tonight. Got driven back of stopped dead in his tracks on most of his runs and we need a lot better than that.

Lowe: Simialr to Nicholls in that I though he didn't have a massive impact. Had a couple of good runs and he did produce that brilliant play for Campbell's try which was outstanding but we need more from him also.

Sele: He was solid I thought and he looks the most likely of our bench currently. Gave everything his all. His game highlight was that brilliant one on one strip that came from nowhere.

Johnston: Not too much to say as he didn't get a lot of minutes but did produce that brilliant intercept and 50 meter run.

So yea, we have a lot to work on but that's to be expected - It is Round 1 after all. Stoked to start the Season with a win!
[/QUOTE

Plenty to like tonight and plenty to improve on.

As soon as the first rotation happened we lost momentum. There is a big difference between burgess/ knight/ Tatola and Nicholls. Amone would be a lot more threatening off the bench. We got away with the dip in energy tonight but a Melbourne or Canberra might have exploited it. James Roberts soft penalty / sin bin was not helpful and not what you’d expect from an intelligent footballer or a team player.

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Good to get the win but a lot of work needed. We need some big impact off the bench,,,,,,, Mago looked like he was going to be that. Will be interesting to see where we go with that.
I thought Wade Grahames tackle in Reynolds, when he suffered the back injury was a late shot.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Not sure what to make of that game. But Souths had a terrible second half.
Some Observations my opinions of course. Burgess - Good in the first half asleep in the second. Knight- great game one mistake with offload Cook- average gave away to many penalties in second haif. Tatola best player for souths, Murray solid and working hard, Nicholls no impact needs to improve Sele great game good momentum played better than nicholls Lowe - solid Walker and reynolds solid , Gagai good ,
Graham solid Burns needs to lift very poor in defense and ball security. Mitchell ? Jimmy the jet sparked when he had chances Johnston solid when he came on. Sua solid...... Far to many stupid penalties in second half.

Referee POOR! allowed cronulla to slow play lie on top, souths only had to infringe slightly and penalty . Very Poor
Agree with most of your summary.
Just a couple of two-bits:
Knight's offload wasn't so much a mistake, it was Tom who knocked it on. A lesson learned here, Tom ain't the guy you offload to in that situation.

Burns, while he is always trying, IS poor on D. Couple that with Cody next to him is the reason Wayne wants Murray out wide, to cover these two, but IMHO, Murray needs to be in the middle.

Cummins is the worst ref in the league, and has been for years.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Good to get the win but a lot of work needed. We need some big impact off the bench,,,,,,, Mago looked like he was going to be that. Will be interesting to see where we go with that.
I thought Wade Grahames tackle in Reynolds, when he suffered the back injury was a late shot.
I'd be having Sironen somewhere in the 17. He can play next to Cody and Burns, freeing Murray up to play in the middle. Also adds another dimension because he can play dummy half too.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

I think Cook needs to lift a lot more, his face passes attacking on the line should NOT be going to Burns. It has to be Murray, or Latrell. I'd like to see plays worked where it's Latrell crashing at the line, from behind a decoy runner at the line, like we used to do with GI

truthslayer

Juniors
I think Cook needs to lift a lot more, his face passes attacking on the line should NOT be going to Burns. It has to be Murray, or Latrell. I'd like to see plays worked where it's Latrell crashing at the line, from behind a decoy runner at the line, like we used to do with GI
The team must come first , we are suited best for now maybe Latrell at Center and Johnston fullback.

Inkers75

Juniors
I don't know if this is a season long initiative but I managed to watch the full game replay on NRL.com last night. As a UK supporter this is great news. Thoroughly enjoyed the first half, second was nervy and did well to hang on to the victory. Room for improvement but.... a win is a win. :thumbsup_tone1: