What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
On second reading...
I don't recall any mass hysteria during those events.

Quite clearly you and your friends on facebook are very worried about this mass hysteria to the point that you see it as a greater threat than all those diseases.

You preppers should stock up on supplies and bunker down until the mass hysteria passes, assuming you already haven't done so.

Ah no.....

Undertaking a pragmatic approach, I’m choosing to ignore all signs of mass hysteria as propagated by the media and lemmings.

I’m simply getting on with life. You should give it a go, too.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
he’s not a preppier mate, he’s quite the opposite. He’s mentality is, she’ll be right mate. 3 percent of the population dying is ok. Hospitals over capacity isn’t an issue either. As long as he’s only got a fever and a cough, he’ll be ok. Screw everyone else.
Might to need to turn up your sarcasm meter just a smidge there mate.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It is amazing the impact this is having to the world. From memory when SARS, HIV, etc came out it was a much scarier disease and we came out ok without banning every event and stocking up in toilet paper. Once you caught those you were less likely to survive. This disease has a much higher survival rate. Are they saying more people were more cautious then and knew to stay indoors if there was a hint of contamination where as we no longer trust people that if they are ill they will go out and spread their germs to contaminate everyone? If anything these measure will make us feel more that there is more to this virus than we know hence the extreme measures taken which is scary. From all I know is if you get it and you are not elderly, a baby or have another medical condition prior to contracting this, you will be fine and it is like a common flu. But they are making it worse than HIV, SARS etc

In a word, it’s called scaremongering.

Seemingly, it’s an unfamiliar term to some forum folk.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ah no.....

Undertaking a pragmatic approach, I’m choosing to ignore all signs of mass hysteria as propagated by the media and lemmings.

I’m simply getting on with life. You should give it a go, too.
You're smarter than everyone else. I know it and have seen the light.

I have already taken precautions to ward off this mass hysteria. Right now I am stocking up on earplugs and blindfolds.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
he’s not a preppier mate, he’s quite the opposite. His mentality is, she’ll be right mate. 3 percent of the population dying is ok. Hospitals over capacity isn’t an issue either. As long as he’s only got a fever and a cough, he’ll be ok. Screw everyone else.

Well, hospitals aren’t at capacity levels.

And, I doubt they will be despite the new buzz word “pandemic”. This certainly wasn’t the case with similar scenarios over the past 15 years: SARS, Avian and Swine Flu etc.

BTW, can I counter your three percent death rate with the 81 percent of confirmed infected cases whose symptoms are mild only?

Finally, a friendly tip. Don’t watch Contagion starring M. Damon and G. Paltrow; you’ll just rot your socks and fall into a deep apoplexy.

cussy

Juniors
Any idea what’s going on in other countries around the world mate? If we don’t get our stuff sorted, then we’ll have the same issues here.[/QUOTE
Wouldn’t bother arguing with Jimmy he doesn’t understand the real issue of an overwhelmed hospital system And the flow on effects it has on other conditions, which is evident in Italy. They are the case study that we need to learn by.

cussy

Juniors

And, I doubt they will be despite the new buzz word “pandemic”. This certainly wasn’t the case with similar scenarios over the past 15 years: SARS, Avian and Swine Flu etc.
Mate you really need to STFU- our hospital runs everyday at 110% capacity. We are over run now without having this on top of things. Yes we have flu season every year and we just cope with that.

Old Timer

Coach
Watching the NRL officials refer to the need for players to be paid and the unsustainable rocky financial foundations that the game and the clubs exist on and the requirement for government funded bail outs made me puke.
What about the ordinary bloke in the street on $70k who gives some of his hard earned $$$ to the code every week by going to games who are at very real risk of losing their jobs.
The more I watch the officials of the game speak the more I hate the game in general.
"The greatest game of all" FMD they are kidding themselves.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You're smarter than everyone else. I know it and have seen the light.

I have already taken precautions to ward off this mass hysteria. Right now I am stocking up on earplugs and blindfolds.

You might want to stock up on some loo paper, the verbal diarrhoea you’ve espoused is equally disturbing.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Watching the NRL officials refer to the need for players to be paid and the unsustainable rocky financial foundations that the game and the clubs exist on and the requirement for government funded bail outs made me puke.
What about the ordinary bloke in the street on $70k who gives some of his hard earned $$$ to the code every week by going to games who are at very real risk of losing their jobs.
The more I watch the officials of the game speak the more I hate the game in general.
"The greatest game of all" FMD they are kidding themselves.

I’m unsure whether the common man has a $70k stipend, however you’re correct about Greenberg and Vlandy...absolutely hopeless.

Brutalitops

Juniors
A friend of mine on FB has posted a Corona virus data pack, which outlines the disease comparatively to other “world ending” problems such as SARS, Ebola etc. if I can find a link to it, I’ll endeavour to post it here.

In a nutshell:

81% of symptoms are MILD, under 5% are critical.

Of total worldwide confirmed cases (since 9/3), 40% are currently ill, of that figure around 57% are recovering. About 3.5% have died.

Both chickenpox and measles (in terms of a mortality rate) leave COVID-19 for dead....excuse the pun

Now, here’s the real problem: in terms of the media, Corona virus has had twice as many mentions as SARS, and three times with HIV.

Postscript: I found the link. Let’s hope BrutaiTops reads it for his edification.

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
Lol beautiful. Found shared on Facebook. I know you thought this was some kind of slam dunk of a post with sources, but let's look closely, and we will see that it's fact a case of moving the goalposts.

Nothing I have been arguing to you has had anything to do with the overall sickness or recovery rate. I don't know if you just didn't read the whole post or lack reading comprehension here, but how is it you think those cases got tested and in severe cases, recovered?

That's right. RESOURCES.

It is absolutely beside the most pressing point of this pandemic that most people will recover. I'll say it for a third time Jimmy. It is misleading to present statistics in this manner when nobody is talking about how it infects those under 70 here. The mortality rate for those who are old, unhealthy, diabetic, asthmatic and more, is considerably higher than the skewed statistics you think represent the real issue here.

But just because someone is under 70, doesn't mean they won't use healthcare resources for their diagnostic or treatment. When that number gets higher, even for a routine test, the system will buckle just like Italy has done. And that's before we even talk about what will happen when more outbreaks in regional areas happen.

And once again, comparing these to other diseases with vastly different transmission rates, death rates and overall cases, as well as how widespread they truly were, is well and truly desperate.

Congratulations on the strawman argument you almost got away with though.

Mods should really change Jimmy's title to "actual scientist"

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mate you really need to STFU- our hospital runs everyday at 110% capacity. We are over run now without having this on top of things. Yes we have flu season every year and we just cope with that.

110%? I’m sure a certain irritant poster that such a figure is impossible. I think you’ll find the only thing we’re over run by is pesky alarmists who currently stockpile on dunny paper.

Old Timer

Coach

BTW, can I counter your three percent death rate with the 81 percent of confirmed infected cases whose symptoms are mild only?

Finally, a friendly tip. Don’t watch Contagion starring M. Damon and G. Paltrow; you’ll just rot your socks and fall into a deep apoplexy.
The government who I despise are in fact trying to do the right thing re this pandemic.
If 60-70% of the population are going to be infected with it for our health services to cope you can't have all 70% at the same time as well as other ongoing issues as the system will just not cope with it.
If 20-30% get it and they are recovered by the time the next 20% get it then there is hope that the health system just might cope.
Very recently I spent 5 days in a row at hospital for 7-8 hours a day having scheduled treatment and then as a result of a bad reaction was hospitalised in a "reverse barrier" containment which meant I was as at high risk of being infected by others so anyone and I mean anyone Dr's included entering my room had to be gowned up, gloved, masked etc etc.
That put an incredible strain on the ward I was being treated in and I was only 1 person.
I can tell you that if a large amount of people present with coronavirus our system as good as it is will be pushed to alarming limits and is not a situation to be taken lightly.
As a person at high risk to bad infections I can tell you I don't want to be a statistic because others have apathy or are in the who gives a f**k it won't bother me category.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lol beautiful. Found shared on Facebook. I know you thought this was some kind of slam dunk of a post with sources, but let's look closely, and we will see that it's fact a case of moving the goalposts.

Nothing I have been arguing to you has had anything to do with the overall sickness or recovery rate. I don't know if you just didn't read the whole post or lack reading comprehension here, but how is it you think those cases got tested and in severe cases, recovered?

That's right. RESOURCES.

It is absolutely beside the most pressing point of this pandemic that most people will recover. I'll say it for a third time Jimmy. It is misleading to present statistics in this manner when nobody is talking about how it infects those under 70 here. The mortality rate for those who are old, unhealthy, diabetic, asthmatic and more, is considerably higher than the skewed statistics you think represent the real issue here.

But just because someone is under 70, doesn't mean they won't use healthcare resources for their diagnostic or treatment. When that number gets higher, even for a routine test, the system will buckle just like Italy has done. And that's before we even talk about what will happen when more outbreaks in regional areas happen.

And once again, comparing these to other diseases with vastly different transmission rates, death rates and overall cases, as well as how widespread they truly were, is well and truly desperate.

Congratulations on the strawman argument you almost got away with though.

Mods should really change Jimmy's title to "actual scientist"

I’m happy with that as long as your user name includes “sophist”.

Changing goalposts, huh? Nope, not even an iota close.

Brutalitops

Juniors
The government who I despise are in fact trying to do the right thing re this pandemic.
If 60-70% of the population are going to be infected with it for our health services to cope you can't have all 70% at the same time as well as other ongoing issues as the system will just not cope with it.
If 20-30% get it and they are recovered by the time the next 20% get it then there is hope that the health system just might cope.
Very recently I spent 5 days in a row at hospital for 7-8 hours a day having scheduled treatment and then as a result of a bad reaction was hospitalised in a "reverse barrier" containment which meant I was as at high risk of being infected by others so anyone and I mean anyone Dr's included entering my room had to be gowned up, gloved, masked etc etc.
That put an incredible strain on the ward I was being treated in and I was only 1 person.
I can tell you that if a large amount of people present with coronavirus our system as good as it is will be pushed to alarming limits and is not a situation to be taken lightly.
As a person at high risk to bad infections I can tell you I don't want to be a statistic because others have apathy or are in the who gives a f**k it won't bother me category.
This is exactly what I've spent the last 3000 words trying to drill into his head. It has everything to do with the peak number of active cases but somehow the only thing that matters is "ehh most of us will get some flu symptoms!"

cussy

Juniors
110%? I’m sure a certain irritant poster that such a figure is impossible. I think you’ll find the only thing we’re over run by is pesky alarmists who currently stockpile on dunny paper.
I have no need to lie mate- it’s a fact.