What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The government who I despise are in fact trying to do the right thing re this pandemic.
If 60-70% of the population are going to be infected with it for our health services to cope you can't have all 70% at the same time as well as other ongoing issues as the system will just not cope with it.
If 20-30% get it and they are recovered by the time the next 20% get it then there is hope that the health system just might cope.
Very recently I spent 5 days in a row at hospital for 7-8 hours a day having scheduled treatment and then as a result of a bad reaction was hospitalised in a "reverse barrier" containment which meant I was as at high risk of being infected by others so anyone and I mean anyone Dr's included entering my room had to be gowned up, gloved, masked etc etc.
That put an incredible strain on the ward I was being treated in and I was only 1 person.
I can tell you that if a large amount of people present with coronavirus our system as good as it is will be pushed to alarming limits and is not a situation to be taken lightly.
As a person at high risk to bad infections I can tell you I don't want to be a statistic because others have apathy or are in the who gives a f**k it won't bother me category.

There’s that word again...if.

Usually it’s followed by “only”.

Personally, I think it’s the most powerful (and overused word) in the English lexicon. As per your post, the same things about the illnesses mentioned earlier on. It was suggested then Australian medical resources wouldn’t cope with the strain.

It did.

I think we’ll be fine.

Brutalitops

Juniors
110%? I’m sure a certain irritant poster that such a figure is impossible. I think you’ll find the only thing we’re over run by is pesky alarmists who currently stockpile on dunny paper.
Capacity refers to number of beds and staff available. It's very possible to have a case load that is 10% over the work load a hospital is designed to take on. It's why people wait for hours at a time to get in. There's either no doctors or no beds.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Watching the NRL officials refer to the need for players to be paid and the unsustainable rocky financial foundations that the game and the clubs exist on and the requirement for government funded bail outs made me puke.
What about the ordinary bloke in the street on $70k who gives some of his hard earned $$$ to the code every week by going to games who are at very real risk of losing their jobs.
The more I watch the officials of the game speak the more I hate the game in general.
"The greatest game of all" FMD they are kidding themselves.

Bang on, OT.
Vlandy view is real 'head in the sand' stuff.
I dislike taking a negative view of life in general but l see the knock on effect of people losing their jobs, businesses etc as a very real prospect and it worries me.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Take the game North now, like Wayne Bennett Suggested!
Band aid solution imo. The NRL has no intention of playing beyond the next couple of weeks, they are holding out as long as they can to guarantee government funding.

You could see them lobbying in the conference today. They'll keep going until it becomes a bad enough look that they get what they need.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I have no need to lie mate- it’s a fact.

Lie? :joy:

As someone with a congenital disability, I’ve seen a lifetime of hospitals, and from personal experience stretching almost 50 years, while they’re certainly a hive of activity, over run, they are simply not.

I wonder if you know that the scope of the Australian medical system extends well outside the limitations of hospitals?

Doubtful.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Bang on, OT.
Vlandy view is real 'head in the sand' stuff.
I dislike taking a negative view of life in general but l see the knock on effect of people losing their jobs, businesses etc as a very real prospect and it worries me.
Just yesterday I gave my business to a local small business in Newcastle, and the owner was so personable in their gratitude. You could see her stress for what lies ahead for her business. She even said "thank you for putting food on my table tonight."

Was honestly heartbreaking.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Capacity refers to number of beds and staff available. It's very possible to have a case load that is 10% over the work load a hospital is designed to take on. It's why people wait for hours at a time to get in. There's either no doctors or no beds.

And you reckon I’ve comprehension issues?

Wow, just wow :open_mouth:

St Georgio

Juniors
Band aid solution imo. The NRL has no intention of playing beyond the next couple of weeks, they are holding out as long as they can to guarantee government funding.

You could see them lobbying in the conference today. They'll keep going until it becomes a bad enough look that they get what they need.
As a Tax payer screw the NRL getting a hand out, it is Rupert Murdoch issue!

Dragon David

First Grade
After the last game being played today (Dragons v Tigers), all players, I would assume, will be tested for any virus surely. If there are any positive results, then they would need to make a definite decision going forward. That is, suspend the games and the government will need to bring in the lock downs as soon as possible to ensure that we do not end up in the same position as the countries in Europe.

The game of rugby league in the circumstances will still be around. Hopefully the government will fund the ARL/NRL to help with payments etc. As a result of this virus, I think that all clubs will not get the full amount as Wayne Bennett has said and most clubs will suffer. In fact, given that there will be less money to pay players, salary caps might have to be substantially reduced and many contracts if not all might have to be re-negotiated on a pro-rata basis. Other staff associated with the game might also have their pays cut.

There are so many people affected financially, besides health issues, that sport and other forms of live entertainment are not high on peoples priority. We all should hope and pray that whatever the world is going through will be over in the not too distant future. Unfortunately, we in the southern hemisphere will have to endure the imminent winter season and the colds and flu "epidemic" we always have.

TruSaint

Referee
Italy may abandon over-80s to their fate as crisis grows

Bologna: Coronavirus victims in Italy could be left to die if they are aged 80 or more, or in poor health, under draft plans drawn up for the next phase of the crisis.

The victims will be denied access to intensive care should pressure on beds increase, according to a new regional protocol, seen by The Telegraph, London, from the government's crisis management unit in Turin.

3a7a987ab569c14174e3418c167692d3612970c1

The coronavirus outbreak it set to cause some difficult decisions by Italian doctors.

The document lays out in cold detail which patients receive treatment in intensive care and which do not if there are insufficient spaces - triggering concerns for the elderly in other countries if the infection rate follows suit.

Italy now has more than 17,000 positive cases and more than 1200 dead, second only to China. But the rate of death is far higher due to Italy's large elderly population.

Inside the Bergamo cemetery, the epicentre of the outbreak in the north, dozens of coffins fill the Ognissanti church, now an emergency mortuary storing corpses after the region's two hospitals could hold no more.

Italians have filled the deserted streets with music by singing and playing instruments from their windows and balconies while in quarantine.

With funerals banned under Italy's lockdown decree, the city crematorium is set to begin operating on a new 24-hour schedule this weekend to keep up.

Officials had to close the cemetery to stop the elderly from coming by bus to say last respects to fellow friends, neighbours and relatives dying at an alarming rate.

"To see entire generation of Bergamo residents taken in this way - it is unthinkable," said one doctor working inside the Hospital Pope John XXIII, where nearly 150 people have died in recent days.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...9ZutNGvByeGKGxGqclKwB7tC9E#Echobox=1584237062

cussy

Juniors
Lie? :joy:

As someone with a congenital disability, I’ve seen a lifetime of hospitals, and from personal experience stretching almost 50 years, while they’re certainly a hive of activity, over run, they are simply not.

I wonder if you know that the scope of the Australian medical system extends well outside the limitations of hospitals?

Doubtful.
Mate again you are making an idiot of yourself- I work front line and also privvy to occupancy levels. I see first hand everyday what ED’s and wards contend with. Stop with your bullshit

cussy

Juniors
Mate again you are making an idiot of yourself- I work front line and also privvy to occupancy levels. I see first hand everyday what ED’s and wards contend with. Stop with your bullshit
Also jimmy your
Comprehension skills need working on. Do you understand that a ward could see upwards of 10 discharges and admissions in the same period? Also do you know how many wards have oversensus beds? oversensus beds are beds over and above ward capacity.

Dragon David

First Grade
Italy may abandon over-80s to their fate as crisis grows

Bologna: Coronavirus victims in Italy could be left to die if they are aged 80 or more, or in poor health, under draft plans drawn up for the next phase of the crisis.

The victims will be denied access to intensive care should pressure on beds increase, according to a new regional protocol, seen by The Telegraph, London, from the government's crisis management unit in Turin.

3a7a987ab569c14174e3418c167692d3612970c1

The coronavirus outbreak it set to cause some difficult decisions by Italian doctors.

The document lays out in cold detail which patients receive treatment in intensive care and which do not if there are insufficient spaces - triggering concerns for the elderly in other countries if the infection rate follows suit.

Italy now has more than 17,000 positive cases and more than 1200 dead, second only to China. But the rate of death is far higher due to Italy's large elderly population.

Inside the Bergamo cemetery, the epicentre of the outbreak in the north, dozens of coffins fill the Ognissanti church, now an emergency mortuary storing corpses after the region's two hospitals could hold no more.

Italians have filled the deserted streets with music by singing and playing instruments from their windows and balconies while in quarantine.

With funerals banned under Italy's lockdown decree, the city crematorium is set to begin operating on a new 24-hour schedule this weekend to keep up.
Officials had to close the cemetery to stop the elderly from coming by bus to say last respects to fellow friends, neighbours and relatives dying at an alarming rate.

"To see entire generation of Bergamo residents taken in this way - it is unthinkable," said one doctor working inside the Hospital Pope John XXIII, where nearly 150 people have died in recent days.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...9ZutNGvByeGKGxGqclKwB7tC9E#Echobox=1584237062
This is absolutely terrible if this should happen. It would be like committing "murder" in my opinion to let people die. What craziness is this?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Just yesterday I gave my business to a local small business in Newcastle, and the owner was so personable in their gratitude. You could see her stress for what lies ahead for her business. She even said "thank you for putting food on my table tonight."

Was honestly heartbreaking.
We went on a work trip to the south coast this weekend, after the fires now this you can just feel it. As we were leaving a pub we apologised to some of the people for our overly enthusiastic renditions of flame trees and the like. The response was an almost tears in eyes thanking us for bringing some life and more importantly money back to the place. I’m not a doctor so I won’t comment too much on the virus but the economic impact of this are going to be devastating.

Latest posts