What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

Daily Telegraph has reported all grass roots rugby league will be suspended.

Qrl & nswrl officials meeting today with a decision to be announced tomorrow.

They are talking about suspending all comps until May/June.

MountainMan

Juniors

English Super League,Championship and League 1 have suspended competition.
Surely the NRL,Cup,Massey etc have to follow suit.
All sports globally are suspended just about .
Craziness !!

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its stupid to cancel any sport. Stop the spectators sure but having players play against each other does not increase the risk of transmitting the virus. At the elite level they are in a controlled situation at the lower level they are more likely to catch it when out and about. Kids are not going to stay at home

Broncos93

Juniors
QRL confirm Q cup and other senior competitions off until at least first week of May.

Given the NSWRL and QRL are working closely together with the NRL on this it seems like we'll see the same for RMCup, Shield and NSW cup.

Sad times.

imgunawin72

Juniors

Before we all jump on the stupid bandwagon we should wait for an announcement from NSWRL. Seems ridiculous to postpone nsw cup and still run NRL.
If blokes playing NRL get injured or out of form how they going to replace them if no one else is fit and ready to go.

Bulabrother

Juniors
Before we all jump on the stupid bandwagon we should wait for an announcement from NSWRL. Seems ridiculous to postpone nsw cup and still run NRL.
If blokes playing NRL get injured or out of form how they going to replace them if no one else is fit and ready to go.
That’s a fair point you have - they need to keep CC along with the NRL for injury purposes

rightleftin

Juniors
If the competition restarts and the Silktails can overcome the closed borders, they will be playing under a new coach, as Wes Naiqama has taken over the role and Brandon Costin will resume his development role. The players have returned to their villages but if the competitions are given the green light, they will return to the team residences at the Centre of Excellence in Lautoka and recommence full time training.

welshmagpie

Juniors
Anybody know a way to go about acquiring squads for the current RMC and SS (postponed) season? Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Butts74

Juniors
Anyone think the season will continue to go ahead or get sacked ? At this rate it’s looking like it’ll get canned.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Anyone think the season will continue to go ahead or get sacked ? At this rate it’s looking like it’ll get canned.
I think most comps will struggle to resume. They could get a single-match RMC season away possible (as in, everyone plays each other once) but I think any comp with more than 12 teams will struggle.

Butts74

Juniors
I think most comps will struggle to resume. They could get a single-match RMC season away possible (as in, everyone plays each other once) but I think any comp with more than 12 teams will struggle.
Yeah I agree , it’ll be very hard to get into the swing of things , blokes will more then likely pull out too or just can’t be bothered anymore.

Massey and Shield teams rely on Leagues Clubs and sponsors to get them through the season.

It is going to hurt some of the small teams real badly.

If the comps do re-start, I wouldn't be surprised if some teams are missing.

earl park riot

Juniors
Massey and Shield teams rely on Leagues Clubs and sponsors to get them through the season.

It is going to hurt some of the small teams real badly.

If the comps do re-start, I wouldn't be surprised if some teams are missing.

Speaking on behalf of one of the financially smaller club, Glebe-Burwood, we’re desperate to resume if at all possible. We have our budget confirmed - it’s not huge, but it’s enough - and we want to play. Suspect it will all be moot though because of the spread of the virus. Doubt any footy will be played this year, but we’ve got our fingers crossed.

rightleftin

Juniors
The approach in Australia has been to upgrade measures as the figures get worse but there is credible medical opinion that if 80% of the population isolated for as little as 6 weeks, the measures could be eased at that point. South Korea and Japan have the situation under control by going hard early.

Butts74

Juniors
Yeah I agree , I doubt there will be anymore footy played this year. If we lock down and isolate we could have a chance of it being played around end of May start or June but highly unlikely.

Latest posts