What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to crack out Arko's ARL blueprint

Dark Corner

Juniors
If we're looking at losing four clubs (Manly, Saints, Sharks, and Titans seem to be the names most commonly thrown about), I'd suggest propping up one of Saints/Sharks (probably Saints) to ensure that area is still represented.

That gives us three spots to fill, which I'd suggest as teams on the Central Coast, in Brisbane, and in Perth for the short term.

Can look at expanding into Adelaide, Tassie, Darwin, NZ 2, etc. when things calm down again.
Saints should just move to illawarra full time.

Dark Corner

Juniors
North QLD
Brisbane
Redcliffe
Gold Coast
Auckland
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney
Dogs
Eels
Panthers
Sharks
Dragons (Wollongong)
Canberra
Newcastle
Melbourne
West Coast Tigers

Lock it in
Roosters can go to the Central Coast and North Sydney and Manly area need a team

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Honestly, if a club isn't sustainable, it's a drain on everybody else in the game, and it's not of any strategic value, then frankly if you can replace it and it's fans with a club that is sustainable and better supported, then you'd be mad not to do it.

I look at it no different then any other business. If a McDonald's franchise was failing McDonald's wouldn't prop it up and keep it open because the owners and patrons of that McDonald's would be hurt by the decision, they'd close it and open a new one somewhere where it'll be a profitable business. Sure they may lose some customers from that, but they'll replace them and more and they won't have the burden of an unsustainable business on their hands.

Look at American sports and try to tell me honestly that, with a few notable exceptions, they miss the clubs they've relocated and replaced.

Hell, try to tell me honestly that RL misses Annandale, Glebe, Cumberland, Newtown, NS, etc. Sure their loss was sad, but we're better off for it, and we'd be better off for it if a few of the current smaller Sydney clubs were replaced with big city clubs in some new markets.

Until it’s your club.

Are you seriously going to say you’d be happy for the Raiders to be punted?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Manly have had two of the top half a dozen rating programs on PTV this year. And that type of thing is important to the NRL. There in the Semis more often than not and have been in two GFs in the past decade. So there a successful club. And having clubs like this is why the ARLC gets big tv money. So i'll continue to refer to them money spinners even if you dont.

And rest assured the game finances needs eyes on tv’s more than bums on seats.

Crowds will help clubs, obviously

MugaB

Coach
Wollongong has a population of almost 300,000. There isn't another game in town. No reason the Dragons couldn't regularly draw solid crowds with a full-time move there.
Surely playing in both Kogarah and WIN
Means more supporters, instead of just in Illawarra only

TheRam

Coach
How do you know? they both have private ownership and yes the Penn family doesn't want to prop up Manly but they may be able to sell it to a buyer who will.

I hear all this hearsay about that some clubs are doomed but truth is no one knows which, if any clubs will be most affected.

You can take it to the bank. But the longer this ridiculous media sensationalism and hence Government over reaction goes on more and more clubs will start to be vulnerable too.

The NRL will try to save them all, but if there are 7+ teams for example all in a massive hole of multi millions in debt, then it almost becomes inevitable that some will have to go. They could go the route of a very low salary cap of say 3-4 million again, but I don't think the players will stand for that and type of permanent wage decrease. The best will start to look elsewhere, French Rugby e.t.c. for a start and a decent cheque.

If the season does not resume at all this season, we will be missing a few clubs come next year. Hell if that is the scenario, then I dare say, the media have been successful in causing the greatest depression the world has ever seen. Their hatred for Trump and to be relevant again will have taken us all to hell. Trump is going to try and open up America very soon, lets all hope he is successful and the media and Dems don't tie his hands somehow and stop him.

We are all kidding ourselves if closing down the world to stop what is basically a flu, and hyping it up to the masses so as to make it a medical nightmare to handle was the best way to go with this. Heads need to roll for this. More people will die and be economically adversely affected with this for the rest of their lives, losing their homes, business and livelihoods, then anything the virus would have done if the hype were not there and covid-19 were left to burn itself out naturally as it has always done in the past.

When the dust settles on this in years to come the the truth will come out, but as usual, I suspect that the masses will do very little about it again. Like I always say, "You get what you deserve".

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
When the dust settles on this in years to come the the truth will come out, but as usual, I suspect that the masses will do very little about it again. Like I always say, "You get what you deserve".

I’m it sure if I agree or not with all you wrote but either way. This comment rings true:thumbsup:

Latest posts