What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
giphy.gif

Cactus

Juniors
The sky fell in.

This is now a lost thing.

You are all dead.

Rugba leg is dead.

Other sports will endure, not people.

We are dead.

A light arises

Sight profound

Mystic possible

Opportunity abound

Cast aside the disorder

Settled in time

Perth Red

Post Whore
That 25% exec pay cut is pretty gross. Sack most the regular Joe workforce and players take a 80% paycut. But greenburg and the commision only take a 25% on their million+ salaries? Or am I reading it wrong?

the players have ended up with around 75% of their annual salary this year. Pretty sweet given the situation.

Danish

Referee
Am I reading it right that they've sacked 95% of the NRL staff.... but the exec team is only taking a 25% pay cut?

That is truly the most disgraceful act. How many more employees could they have afforded to keep on if those dickheads took a bigger hit? Greenberg alone is on $1.2 million. Had he chopped that down to a mere $200K they could have saved a dozen employees the chop.

Am I reading it right that they've sacked 95% of the NRL staff.... but the exec team is only taking a 25% pay cut?

That is truly the most disgraceful act. How many more employees could they have afforded to keep on if those dickheads took a bigger hit? Greenberg alone is on $1.2 million. Had he chopped that down to a mere $200K they could have saved a dozen employees the chop.

Normal behaviour in corporate land I’m afraid. Seen company execs (on 7 figure salaries) wipe out a shit load of mainly junior level and mid weight staff to balance the books in tough times. Then get a bonus for meeting their fiscal targets.

T-Boon

Coach

At first glance it is hard to fathom but then you could factor in that the CEO etc are actually still working. Maybe even harder than they otherwise would have been (I could be wrong about that) whereas the staff in other rolls probably just aren't needed at the moment.

Last edited:

Sphagnum

Coach
Mate (iirc) when the swineflu outbreak hit a few years back and was closing down the racuing industry, a similar statement early on saw the Government fund a big bailout pacakage for said industry to mitigate what had happened with the outbreak. V'landys was the person who did it then. He's merely following his script from that event.
I think the Swineflu only affected the pig racing industry.

Doubt V'landys has anything to do with a multi-trillion dollar industry like that

T-Boon

Coach
I just sent my application (with resume of my great idea threads) in by email to the NRL to be part of the Season Innovation Committee. I'll let youse know when I get a reply.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
At first glance it is hard to fathom but then you could factor in that the CEO etc are actually still working. Maybe even harder than they otherwise would have been (I could be wrong about that) whereas the staff in other rolls probably just aren't needed at the moment.

well yeah, they have to make their own coffee and possibly even answer their own phones now

Danish

Referee

I don’t give a f**k how hard they are working. They should all be taking zero salary to avoid layoffs right now. If they realise by the end of the season that there is excess fat to be trimmed, so be it. But not now.

It is disgraceful leadership, it’s insanely bad PR, and if there is any justice they’ll all lose their jobs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Imagine being a fringe first grader on $80K with a partner and young child who’s now taken a 50% pay cut and is looking for fruit picking or shelf stacking work to keep the rent paid while Greenberg and co are still making fat 6 figure salaries.

Cactus

Juniors
I just sent my application (with resume of my great idea threads) in by email to the NRL to be part of the Season Innovation Committee. I'll let youse know when I get a reply.

Deep breath in......and.....................hold

edabomb

First Grade

To be fair to Tod he is saving for a pinky toe ring for Cam's mrs that he will now need to pay for out of his own pocket. Once he has enough for that be might be more inclined to take a cut.

T-Boon

Coach
My god Wade Graham sounds like a dumbarse.
Is he really our best and brightest?

No he isn't, there are a few smart sounding guys. However, the culture is still to sound as dumb as possible around the boys. The NRL has done a bad job of explaining to them that they would make more money if they ditched that culture.

johns_reds

First Grade
well yeah, they have to make their own coffee and possibly even answer their own phones now
No different to any other large business that has stood down staff with no pay, Myer, Virgin, Qantas etc I bet the Execs of those companies didn’t take a hit.

Why should NRL be any different ? why should NRL player contracts be more valuable than any other worker ?

Latest posts