What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

mongoose

Coach
V'landys will hand it over on the platter back to Fox and Nine, seems like what he's been put in place to do.

Silent Knight

First Grade
If you believe the rumours Ch 10 now owned by ViacomCBS has been talking to the NRL about bidding on the next tv deal. They want a top line sport to improve there ratings in Sydney and Brisbane and are not interested in AFL.

I'd be very happy if the NRL went over to Ten after the next rights deal. It's true that in a crisis you really find out who your real friends are and I think Nein have behaved deplorably in all of this - the NRL shouldn't forget it.

"The home of rugby league" will sink into the bog without rugby league in its programming.

LineBall

Juniors
Are you fkn nuts? I would be pissed of big time, these idiots could not manage their cash which cost fans their club!!! All this virus did is expose the disgraceful management of funds, so you are way off the mark!!!

Disgraceful management of funds could be applied to the clubs as well. The NRL has chipped in money to prop up clubs in the past.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I'll also add that as a Knights fan I was very disappointed to hear Joey Johns say the competition should be cut down to 12 teams. It wasn't that long ago my club was on its knees (after Tinkler) and would have been in poll position to be cut if the sh*t hit the fan back then.

You cut out teams, you cut out those fanbases forever, just like what happened on the North Shore of Sydney when the Bears died.

You think we would have learned...

Reactions: Vee

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'll also add that as a Knights fan I was very disappointed to hear Joey Johns say the competition should be cut down to 12 teams. It wasn't that long ago my club was on its knees (after Tinkler) and would have been in poll position to be cut if the sh*t hit the fan back then.

You cut out teams, you cut out those fanbases forever, just like what happened on the North Shore of Sydney when the Bears died.

Yeah, I thought that was a f**kwit of a thing to say. I know they get paid to make comment but that was narrow sighted, knee-jerked and hypocritical really.

Mr Parramatta

Juniors

Andrew Johns, brilliant footballer, dumb human!!

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
Disgraceful management of funds could be applied to the clubs as well. The NRL has chipped in money to prop up clubs in the past.
I agree clubs have been greedy assholes and literally paying for it now, Nrl still have a tonne to answer for, remember tv rights are worth billions!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be an opportunity to totally reset the game and wht it’s about. It seems the last decade has been about raising as much revenue as possible regardless of its impact on the actual game and fans. For all the massive revenue growth the game, clubs and players have had in the last 7 years can anyone really claim its better to watch or follow than 20 years ago?
A radical reset:
Salary cap reduced to $7million. Nrl grant reduced to $10million a club. Club expenditure capped at $20million total spend. Licenses to be permanent if you want in.
Commision to be independent with no club or state reps on it.
Nrl to develop an operating model of around $400million a year
3 games a week sold to ch10
2 games a week given to ABC on condition they are shown live nationally and given respectful coverage
Nrl to produce its own subscription streaming service for all 9 games then 10 games. Expansion strategy over next 5 years to bring in 4 new clubs. Licenses to be sold for $5million with that money set aside for bail out fund.
No VR/bunker
Reign in integrity unit costs
Nrl to have a fan generation strategy and central funding to get more people attending and watching games and becoming members of their clubs.
Nrl to set aside any surplus funding each year over the $400mill operating costs for asset creation and strategic projects.
Eg
Revenue
Non media same as now =$204mill
Ch10 deal = $175mill
Streaming service = $100mill
Revenue = $479mill

expenditure
20 club grants $200mill
Football events and streaming content production $75mill
Football operations $50mill
Grassroots and leagues $75mill
Expenditure = $400mill

asset generation and revenue increase fund =$79mill a year

Vee

First Grade

Joey's a moron. Brainfart solutions, no details on the hard calls or how to implement them.

Last edited:

Angry_eel

First Grade
Salary cap reduced to $7million. Nrl grant reduced to $10million a club. Club expenditure capped at $20million total spend.

Well the Newcastle Knights would be paying 2 million to 2 players. Now they'd have to fit 28 players in 5 million. That's roughly around 180K each per player. It would surely take the NRL pay packers back to the 2000s

This may be a controversial point, but the more I think about it the more it may be a good fit.

What the Commissioner should do is ensure the existing 16 clubs are preserved for the remainder of the existing TV contract.

Thereafter, the NRL should introduce a promotion and relegation system. That will allow clubs like Perth, North Sydney, Brisbane, Wellington etc. to plan for promotion like Toronto.

However, I would have the following:

Winner of NSW Cup vs. Queensland Cup is eligible for promotion. However, they need to play the NRL wooden Spooner in the 'million dollar game' with the winner granted entry into the NRL next year. That game would be a revenue raiser and could be played before the GF. It also gives the legacy NRL team will everything to play for and wouldn't leave them without motivation for the season.

Reactions: siv

Angry_eel

First Grade
This may be a controversial point, but the more I think about it the more it may be a good fit.

What the Commissioner should do is ensure the existing 16 clubs are preserved for the remainder of the existing TV contract.

Thereafter, the NRL should introduce a promotion and relegation system. That will allow clubs like Perth, North Sydney, Brisbane, Wellington etc. to plan for promotion like Toronto.

However, I would have the following:

Winner of NSW Cup vs. Queensland Cup is eligible for promotion. However, they need to play the NRL wooden Spooner in the 'million dollar game' with the winner granted entry into the NRL next year. That game would be a revenue raiser and could be played before the GF. It also gives the legacy NRL team will everything to play for and wouldn't leave them without motivation for the season.

Promotion and Relegation will never work in Australia. It works in places which are heavily populated and have enough support in small towns.

Promotion and Relegation will never work in Australia. It works in places which are heavily populated and have enough support in small towns.

Its not relegation in the UK sense as it would require a NSW Cup side to knock off an NRL quality squad.

What it will do is provide incentive to strengthen the second tier and could result in some great stories e.g. Catalans or Toronto.

Even if a big club was relegated for a year, it would hard seeing someone like Broncos or Eels lurking down at that level for more than a year given all their resources.