What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Peter Quinn

Juniors

callmack1

Staff member
Media certainty give him a rough time. But there's a lot of Souths fans bagging the hell out of him on social media. My view is they themselves have basically failed in life and take it out on a superstar player. They are supposed to be responsible to the club they support and their players.
Exactly. I'm all for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, that needs to happen to keep players honest and to get the best out of them. But some of the stuff that has be said about Latrell this year is disgusting. It is not constructive and it is not respectful.

handyman2190

Bench
Today on that new fox league show they said something was in the telecrap about jai arrow,anyone have access? Im curious to find out what was in the article.
They also said with this pay cut all players contracts would be null and void,that everyone would be free agents and the movement would be unbelievable

Travitoh

First Grade
Media certainty give him a rough time. But there's a lot of Souths fans bagging the hell out of him on social media. My view is they themselves have basically failed in life and take it out on a superstar player. They are supposed to be responsible to the club they support and their players.
Exactly. I'm all for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, that needs to happen to keep players honest and to get the best out of them. But some of the stuff that has be said about Latrell this year is disgusting. It is not constructive and it is not respectful.

I don't rate him as highly as others but agree that he is copping a lot of unfair, over the top criticism.

I do question his professionalism, why a talented player who claims to have always been a FB needs time to settle into the position and his fitness is concerning for a near enough 100 gamer but his performances haven't been bad, more 'meh'.

callmack1

Staff member
‘I was crying on the phone’ - Braith Anasta’s pain at turning back on famous uncle and Souths: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ce921aec4418e3b97ca290a4a5f56285

NRL spotlight battle for Latrell - Johnston: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-sp...johnston/5fdd2734-77cb-4cc5-83be-d8c19f3ca242

From Sporting News,

Alex Johnston stitches up Rabbitohs teammate Adam Reynolds

South Sydney Rabbitohs back Alex Johnston has stitched up Adam Reynolds, saying the playmaker is the biggest pest in the team.

Under the NRL's strict new guidelines banning attendance at club headquarters, Johnston will be doing all his training solo for a while.

The new rules, which will come into effect today, coaching staff, club officials and team medical personnel must receive special clearance from the NRL to visit players.

Group training sessions are also banned unless they are conducted ‘in a suitable outdoor space’ and players stay four metres apart and avoid touching any outdoor equipment.

When asked by Michael Ennis who he's glad he won't have to train with for a while, Johnston singled out Reynolds.

"There's so many...most of the boys," he laughed.

"The first one that comes to mind is Adam Reynolds. He's just a pest.

"Whenever we're doing any sort of wrestling or anything, you don't want to get partnered with him. He's touching things he shouldn't be touching.

"I'd say Reyno tops the list."

Having started his NRL career on the wing for the Bunnies, Johnston had a long stint at fullback last year before Adam Douehi took over the position in the back end of the season.

With Latrell Mitchell joining South Sydney in 2020, Johnston was shifted to the bench in the two matches the Bunnies played before the season was suspended, but he filled in well replacing Mitchell in a round two loss to the Broncos.

The scrutiny surrounding Mitchell continued this weekend with hooker Damien Cook saying the former Roosters centre could walk away from the game.

"He might have had enough, it can happen to any player if they get hammered enough and they start to think, 'I'm not putting up with this anymore,'" he told Fairfax Media.

Johnston said he didn't think Mitchell would really walk away from the game.

"I don't know too much about those comments," he said.

"He's a footballer, a first grader, and the end of the day, he just wants to play footy.

"I don't know if he will walk away from the game.

"I think it's just the media that comes around him from being Latrell Mitchell. He's a freak, he's a talent.

"Personally I haven't asked him about it, but I think too much of that media.

"People behind him might be playing with his head a little bit.

"You might have to ask Latrell but you probably won't get onto him. He probably won't talk to you."

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle, this is good to hear from Jai,

Jai Arrow willing to take pay cut to honour Rabbitohs contract

Gold Coast young gun Jai Arrow will honour his South Sydney contract even if it means taking a significant pay cut.

Arrow signed with South Sydney on a deal worth $800,000 per season from 2021. The 24-year old said he will be committed to wearing the red and green hoops even if it means taking a 40 per cent reduction.

The COVID19 pandemic has caused the NRL and clubs to rethink their financial position and budgeting as clubs have been given a $10 million salary cap for next year. However, due to the virus, it could mean that clubs are preparing for a $2 million-$4 million reduction of the cap.

Arrow though knows he is in a very lucky space given the financial position other Australians are currently in.

“If I have to take a pay cut next year because the salary cap goes down to keep the game alive then I’m more than happy to do that – that doesn’t worry me one bit,” he told the Courier Mail.

“I play the game because I love it. I’m very grateful I get paid to do what I love every day.

“There are people losing their jobs, lining up at Centrelink for hours. It’s hard to see. I’m lucky and grateful to still be getting paid, for the time being.

“I signed a contract a while ago and I’ve stuck with it. I’m happy to go.

The NRL players have will receive their paychecks for April and May, but would have to wait until October 31 for their next one, meaning they face a 71 per cent pay cut form now and a 46 per cent pay cut for the financial year.

Given the circumstances that the NRL finds itself in, Arrow knew that at one point they were going get a pay cut.

“We’re not dumb – we all understand we’re going to have to take a pretty hard hit with pay cuts,” he said.

“If that’s what it takes to keep the game alive, then so be it.

“It obviously sucks but we’re not the only ones taking pay cuts. It’s everyone around the whole league and world.

“I don’t know exactly what we’ll have to take. We get two full pays then we’ll know more.

“As long as I can pay my bills and look after myself, then I’m happy.”

Travitoh

First Grade
From Zero Tackle, this is good to hear from Jai,

Jai Arrow willing to take pay cut to honour Rabbitohs contract

Gold Coast young gun Jai Arrow will honour his South Sydney contract even if it means taking a significant pay cut.

Arrow signed with South Sydney on a deal worth $800,000 per season from 2021. The 24-year old said he will be committed to wearing the red and green hoops even if it means taking a 40 per cent reduction.

The COVID19 pandemic has caused the NRL and clubs to rethink their financial position and budgeting as clubs have been given a $10 million salary cap for next year. However, due to the virus, it could mean that clubs are preparing for a $2 million-$4 million reduction of the cap.

Arrow though knows he is in a very lucky space given the financial position other Australians are currently in.

“If I have to take a pay cut next year because the salary cap goes down to keep the game alive then I’m more than happy to do that – that doesn’t worry me one bit,” he told the Courier Mail.

“I play the game because I love it. I’m very grateful I get paid to do what I love every day.

“There are people losing their jobs, lining up at Centrelink for hours. It’s hard to see. I’m lucky and grateful to still be getting paid, for the time being.

“I signed a contract a while ago and I’ve stuck with it. I’m happy to go.

The NRL players have will receive their paychecks for April and May, but would have to wait until October 31 for their next one, meaning they face a 71 per cent pay cut form now and a 46 per cent pay cut for the financial year.

Given the circumstances that the NRL finds itself in, Arrow knew that at one point they were going get a pay cut.

“We’re not dumb – we all understand we’re going to have to take a pretty hard hit with pay cuts,” he said.

“If that’s what it takes to keep the game alive, then so be it.

“It obviously sucks but we’re not the only ones taking pay cuts. It’s everyone around the whole league and world.

“I don’t know exactly what we’ll have to take. We get two full pays then we’ll know more.

“As long as I can pay my bills and look after myself, then I’m happy.”

If the salary cap is slashed, i doubt he'll have a choice. Everyone will be taking a pay cut of some form.

Somewhat related rumour, Jai Arrow and his partner have split, which may change his eagerness to move to Sydney.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
News Corp Rugby League Journalists Criticise Latrell Mitchell For Sitting Out Round 3 — The Betoota Advocate
https://m.betootaadvocate.com/sport...oing-back-to-taree-during-round-4-of-the-nrl/
Journos in the majority, have little to write about. So they have to make it up. I don't even know who this Ray Kent is anyway. And I'm pretty sure he never played one starting game for anyone. So let them write their stories. It's up to us if we want to read the crap. Me, I choose not to. But I am waiting big time for the footy to start up again. I'm pretty sure Souths will towel up the Roosters. Pitty we can't go to watch it.

southsport

First Grade
Journos in the majority, have little to write about. So they have to make it up. I don't even know who this Ray Kent is anyway. And I'm pretty sure he never played one starting game for anyone. So let them write their stories. It's up to us if we want to read the crap. Me, I choose not to. But I am waiting big time for the footy to start up again. I'm pretty sure Souths will towel up the Roosters. Pitty we can't go to watch it.
Hopefully it will recommence in June/July as stated, we should have Mago back on deck then too.

Latest posts