What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 years ago today.... The storm lost two premierships

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Yep, that's the one. Grand Final was a beautiful sunny, Sunday afternoon at Kogarah and we rolled the Storm 34-14 in front of a capacity 19,000 crowd. Latimore wrote himself into rugby league folklore and Cam Smith needed help to walk to the team bus. Great day. Apparently the season went on for several months afterwards but I'm not sure why.

19000 capacity? Wow!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No. Eels got to the gf by not facing storm during that final series. Why reward then for that luck. Take Storm out of the equation and broncos could get through to the Grand final and beat eels

I wasn't really being serious but since you want to debate the matter, the Eels didn't make it to the GF by being lucky, they got there by beating the other finalists, luck had nothing to do with their results

and as for the the Broncos ? lol, well they have such a great finals record dont they, we'd have been pretty happy to play them in the GF

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's a good what if.

My first week winners are in bold. I know parra beat the dogs in week 3 but they were on a massive role by then. Under this scenario they play the dogs in week 1 a week after saints flogged them. Don't see the dogs choking.

Week 2
Titans
V Sea Eagles
Broncos V Manly

Got both home teams winning

Week 3
Saints V Broncos
Dogs
V Titans

I actually think your dogs were odds on to win the comp without Storm

There is little doubt Manly would have won in 2007 IMO though.

Interesting scenario but Remember the dogs were without Brett Kimmorely week 1 of the finals. The week before when they were playing for the Minor Premiership without him Wests beat them by 30

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I was saltier than the dead sea at the time but we've recovered alright...
Unfortunately the game hasn't recovered as well as your scum club has. Boring wrestling and grubby shit for nearly 2 decades now. Went from exciting open football in 2005 to the snoozefest we have now.

The only highlight of Melbournes dominance is Manly raping them 40-0

TheDalek079

Bench
I wasn't really being serious but since you want to debate the matter, the Eels didn't make it to the GF by being lucky, they got there by beating the other finalists, luck had nothing to do with their results

and as for the the Broncos ? lol, well they have such a great finals record dont they, we'd have been pretty happy to play them in the GF

The luck was by avoiding the storm. If they played them week one or in the prelim then eels don't make the grand final.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Do you reckon Hindmarsh has it written into his contract with Fox that Smith isn't allowed to join in on the "haha you've never won a premiership" banter?

Hindy has been a pretty good sport about it all, he takes it well,

that other person whom you mention I dont have much time for as a human

TheDalek079

Bench
Cam Smith is the best league player since Arthur Beetson. 400 NRL games, captained Australia to two world cup victories...... show some respect!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Cam Smith is the best league player since Arthur Beetson. 400 NRL games, captained Australia to two world cup victories...... show some respect!

Yeah, he's a great player. No question. Best of the NRL era, probably. Incredible ability.

He's also a cheat. Fair ernough? It's possible to separate the incredible ability from the fact he managed himself during a time when he was part of a salary cap rorting effort, he's a grubby prick on the field and is a wannabe referee in a player's body. Plus anything else you want to believe about the way he's conducted himself off the field in recent years.

Predictable rubbish 10 years on from ex Storm players about overcoming obstacles and adversity and coming back better too. The siege mentality. Yawn.

Yeah, he's a great player. No question. Best of the NRL era, probably. Incredible ability.

He's also a cheat. Fair ernough? It's possible to separate the incredible ability from the fact he managed himself during a time when he was part of a salary cap rorting effort, he's a grubby prick on the field and is a wannabe referee in a player's body. Plus anything else you want to believe about the way he's conducted himself off the field in recent years.

Predictable rubbish 10 years on from ex Storm players about overcoming obstacles and adversity and coming back better too. The siege mentality. Yawn.

Perfect NRL Chairman then.

TheDalek079

Bench

Lol. He is a winner. He manipulates the refs to get the best decision for his team. All good captains try to do it. Just because your team is shit at it doesn't mean that Cam is bad. Show him respect!

Valheru

Coach
Interesting scenario but Remember the dogs were without Brett Kimmorely week 1 of the finals. The week before when they were playing for the Minor Premiership without him Wests beat them by 30

Very good point.

So if we give Parra the win in week 1 we end up with the following

Week 2
Parra v Manly (winner to play Saints)
Broncos V Dogs (winner to play Titans)

Maybe Parra would have gotten there either way.

Danish

Referee
Hindy has been a pretty good sport about it all, he takes it well,

that other person whom you mention I dont have much time for as a human

I agree Hindy takes it in good humour from fletch and Marty Johns.

if I were him I’d probably have to glass old mate Cam though if he tried to get in on it

Latest posts