What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortals Question

Took interest in this thread. I first started watching league as a kid in the early 80's dominated by Parra, and to this day the best club backline of all time in my opinion, just ahead of the Raiders early 90's, 94 in particular.

As for immortals, my view is that players of the long-retired past should be considered for this above players of the recent past...

So for the players mentioned here, Parra and others..

For me Andrew Johns was a once in a generation player, and one of the best I've seen. But I didn't agree with his induction. Yes he played behind in alternate positions behind other halfbacks in rep football, but it's more that there are others of times before him I feel far more deserving. Johns was a very good halfback in the first half of his career, but played his best football at the back half of his career too, where he was almost unstoppable.

Meninga for me was a deserved inductee. He was an absolute beast, always first picked in the centres for Qld and Australia, captained his club, state and country. He was the number one name in the game in the early 90's. But before him there was Wally.

Lewis was incredible. He was built like a forward, dominated as a 6, and was probably the most inspirational captain on a football field the game has seen - or at east that I have seen. The thing that goes against him is that he played the majority of his career in the BRL, so NSW folk only really saw him in Origin until the Broncos came in the comp, when he was in the back end of his career. But as much as I hated him like all NSW folk did, he WAS the king. The biggest name in the game in his time. And a deserved immortal for mine.

As for the Parra contenders.

Brett Kenny - he would be one of my first cabs off the rank. Was injury prone late in his career as I recall, perhaps played a season or two too long. But before that, this guy was the best player in the NSWRL of the day. In origin he was the standout blue, and the one guy who could be argued that competed with, and possibly dominated The King. I recently watched the 1985 Hull vs Wigan Challenge Cup final at Wembley where he played I opposition to Sterling. He was an absolute weapon, reminding me of just how good he was. Immortal?

I'd say possibly but probably not.

Peter Sterling. Just as good as Kenny. Like a Pie and Sauce these two went together. As good as each other for Parra. But Sterling stood out more on the field due to the long blond hair (aside from when Paul Taylor stole his gig). Similarly in the 85 challenge cup he was a standout, an absolute conductor of the performance for Hull in a losing side. Though my memories are of him and Steve Mortimer competing for the 7 at rep level and Mortimer edging him out most times for reasons whatever. Immortal?

Possibly, but probably not.

Ray Price. A bloke I play park cricket with played League with Price at Wakefield in England. My mate is one of the toughest blokes I know, and he said Price was by far the toughest player he saw. He gave the example of a training session on a cold, rainy evening in the north of England. The session had neared its end and in the days of semi-professionalism most of the guys were cooked and wanted to go home. The coach had other ideas and instructed them to do numerous laps around the field (from memory I think 8), and no-one could leave until the last player completed all laps. For the backs, who were relatively light, this wasn't so hard. For the forwards, it was tough as a 2 dollar steak. My mate was a fullback so he got through ok and one of the first finished. Ray Price finished before him. Most had finished after a while longer but they watched a cup of forwards trudging to the point of stopping. 2 or 3 were completely exhausted with a lap to go... So Price runs over to one of the struggling forwards, picks him up, puts him across his shoulders, and trots the remaining distance around the ground and across the line. The other stragglers started up again and did what they could on their own steam. Price went back for them, and while he didn't carry them, he trotted with them to get them over the line.

As a player, he was the one guy growing up who played his guts out every match, leaving nothing on the field, and unrivalled as the best lock of his time.
I'm telling this story above to those fans of the club here who may not have known this about the guy.

Immortal? Absolutely Yes.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah I have never seen a forward empty his tank each and every game he played, like Price.

Hindmarsh had the same heart and defence, just not the attack.
After 05 its a fair call, but before he did his knee his attack was very good. He scored plenty of long range tries and had an offload and could pass before the line sometimes. After he did that knee his attacking game suffered and he was turned into a tackling machine robot.

While I totally agree with what's been previously said about Kenny, Sterling and Price but Cronin needs to be added to the list for consideration. At one stage held almost every point scoring record available for over 10 years. Most goals in a season, most premiership goals and points and most goals and points for Australia

Gronk

Staff member
While I totally agree with what's been previously said about Kenny, Sterling and Price but Cronin needs to be added to the list for consideration. At one stage held almost every point scoring record available for over 10 years. Most goals in a season, most premiership goals and points and most goals and points for Australia
And most consecutive goals in a row.

strider

Post Whore
I dont know if any of our guys are immortals

Theres a hall of fame and then there are immortals .... certainly all our greats should be in the hall of fame

Immortals should be a tiny group who were absolute head and shoulders above the rest .... they shouldnt even feel they need to add a new one every year

If you are gonna argue for price, kenny, sterlo then i reckon there would also be a hundred from other teams who achieved similar ... and thatd make a mockery of having immortals (tbh it may well be silly to have something above hall of fame anyway - it was just a marketing thing originally)

I cant comment on all those before my time, but of the ones in my lifetime i reckon Lewis, Johns definitely fit in .... Mal nope

Id also see lockyer, smith and maybe thurston being added down the track ... others i would consider off the top of my head, Fitler, maybe Langer ... forwards are hard to argue for

Angry_eel

First Grade

Theres a hall of fame and then there are immortals .... certainly all our greats should be in the hall of fame

Immortals should be a tiny group who were absolute head and shoulders above the rest .... they shouldnt even feel they need to add a new one every year

If you are gonna argue for price, kenny, sterlo then i reckon there would also be a hundred from other teams who achieved similar ... and thatd make a mockery of having immortals (tbh it may well be silly to have something above hall of fame anyway - it was just a marketing thing originally)

I cant comment on all those before my time, but of the ones in my lifetime i reckon Lewis, Johns definitely fit in .... Mal nope

Id also see lockyer, smith and maybe thurston being added down the track ... others i would consider off the top of my head, Fitler, maybe Langer ... forwards are hard to argue for

I bet you Lolo won't be picked simply because he didn't play Origin even though he's the best forward since I've been watching the game(20 years now).

and that's really the issue. What are immortals meant to be? NRL immortals, RL immortals or SOO immortals? If it's 1 or 3 then I can see the entire QLD dynasty backline being in there.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I agree. Immortals should be the absolute elite. Ray Price is the only Parra player who should get a look in.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Took interest in this thread. I first started watching league as a kid in the early 80's dominated by Parra, and to this day the best club backline of all time in my opinion, just ahead of the Raiders early 90's, 94 in particular.

As for immortals, my view is that players of the long-retired past should be considered for this above players of the recent past...

For me Andrew Johns was a once in a generation player, and one of the best I've seen. But I didn't agree with his induction. Yes he played behind in alternate positions behind other halfbacks in rep football, but it's more that there are others of times before him I feel far more deserving. Johns was a very good halfback in the first half of his career, but played his best football at the back half of his career too, where he was almost unstoppable.

Meninga for me was a deserved inductee. He was an absolute beast, always first picked in the centres for Qld and Australia, captained his club, state and country. He was the number one name in the game in the early 90's. But before him there was Wally.

Lewis was incredible. He was built like a forward, dominated as a 6, and was probably the most inspirational captain on a football field the game has seen - or at east that I have seen. The thing that goes against him is that he played the majority of his career in the BRL, so NSW folk only really saw him in Origin until the Broncos came in the comp, when he was in the back end of his career. But as much as I hated him like all NSW folk did, he WAS the king. The biggest name in the game in his time. And a deserved immortal for mine.

Brett Kenny - he would be my first cab off the rank. Was injury prone late in his career as I recall, perhaps played a season or two too long. But before that, this guy was the best player in the NSWRL of the day. In origin he was the standout blue, and the one guy who could be argued that competed with, and possibly dominated The King. I recently watched the 1985 Hull vs Wigan Challenge Cup final at Wembley where he played I opposition to Sterling. He was an absolute weapon, reminding me of just how good he was. Immortal?

Peter Sterling. Just as good as Kenny. Like a Pie and Sauce these two went together. As good as each other for Parra. But Sterling stood out more on the field due to the long blond hair (aside from when Paul Taylor stole his gig). Similarly in the 85 challenge cup he was a standout, an absolute conductor of the performance for Hull in a losing side. Though my memories are of him and Steve Mortimer competing for the 7 at rep level and Mortimer edging him out most times for reasons whatever. Immortal?

Ray Price. A bloke I play park cricket with played League with Price at Wakefield in England. My mate is one of the toughest blokes I know, and he said Price was by far the toughest player he saw. He gave the example of a training session on a cold, rainy evening in the north of England. The session had neared its end and in the days of semi-professionalism most of the guys were cooked and wanted to go home. The coach had other ideas and instructed them to do numerous laps around the field (from memory I think 8), and no-one could leave until the last player completed all laps. For the backs, who were relatively light, this wasn't so hard. For the forwards, it was tough as a 2 dollar steak. My mate was a fullback so he got through ok and one of the first finished. Ray Price finished before him. Most had finished after a while longer but they watched a cup of forwards trudging to the point of stopping. 2 or 3 were completely exhausted with a lap to go... So Price runs over to one of the struggling forwards, picks him up, puts him across his shoulders, and trots the remaining distance around the remaining distance and across the line. The other stragglers started up again and did what they could on their own steam. Price went back for them, and while he didn't carry them, he trotted with them to get them over the line.

As a player, he was the one guy growing up who played his guts out every match, leaving nothing on the field, and unrivalled as the best lock of his time.
I'm telling this story above to those fans of the club here who may not have known this about the guy.

*Fafita

Avenger

Immortal
Yeah I have never seen a forward empty his tank each and every game he played, like Price.

Hindmarsh had the same heart and defence, just not the attack.
Hindmarsh did in the early to middle parts of his career. He just played a season or two too long and should have retired at the end of 2009 like Cayless.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What ? No. Brett Kenny had a significant part in every game he played.
I'm sure he did, but that doesn't mean he didn't save his best for the deciders. He was man of the match in three grand finals (including Wembley) but never won the Dally M award for his position.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Brett Kenny - he would be one of my first cabs off the rank. Was injury prone late in his career as I recall, perhaps played a season or two too long. But before that, this guy was the best player in the NSWRL of the day. In origin he was the standout blue, and the one guy who could be argued that competed with, and possibly dominated The King. I recently watched the 1985 Hull vs Wigan Challenge Cup final at Wembley where he played I opposition to Sterling. He was an absolute weapon, reminding me of just how good he was. Immortal?

Ray Price. A bloke I play park cricket with played League with Price at Wakefield in England. My mate is one of the toughest blokes I know, and he said Price was by far the toughest player he saw. He gave the example of a training session on a cold, rainy evening in the north of England. The session had neared its end and in the days of semi-professionalism most of the guys were cooked and wanted to go home. The coach had other ideas and instructed them to do numerous laps around the field (from memory I think 8), and no-one could leave until the last player completed all laps. For the backs, who were relatively light, this wasn't so hard. For the forwards, it was tough as a 2 dollar steak. My mate was a fullback so he got through ok and one of the first finished. Ray Price finished before him. Most had finished after a while longer but they watched a cup of forwards trudging to the point of stopping. 2 or 3 were completely exhausted with a lap to go... So Price runs over to one of the struggling forwards, picks him up, puts him across his shoulders, and trots the remaining distance around the ground and across the line. The other stragglers started up again and did what they could on their own steam. Price went back for them, and while he didn't carry them, he trotted with them to get them over the line.

Great read and insight from a non Parra perspective

Cheers BBJF

Avenger

Immortal
Sterling was once asked who the greatest Eel of them all was?

Sterling said, “Ray Price.”

Funny how Sterling didn’t include Hayne as our greatest fullback amongst the nominees with that recent email that members received. Maybe he will include him as a winger.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Sterling was once asked who the greatest Eel of them all was?

Sterling said, “Ray Price.”

Funny how Sterling didn’t include Hayne as our greatest fullback amongst the nominees with that recent email that members received. Maybe he will include him as a winger.
He has flipped on Hayne. Avenger style.

Latest posts