What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euro X111

Dakink

Bench
Just listened to the chasing kangaroos podcast about this. Interesting concept. Will be keen to see the details fleshed out L.

Over 25 clubs from 16 different countries have applied to be part of a brand-new set of European competition which the organisers have promised will help fulfil the ‘huge potential’ of rugby league in the continent.

Euro XIII has been described as a ‘real game-changer’ for European rugby league, and those behind it have insisted the idea is ‘much more than fantasy’ as the game on mainland Europe aims to take a major stride forward next year.

Key figures in Italian and Spanish rugby league – including Dean Buchan, the man behind Valencia Huracanes, who harbour desires to enter League 1 in the future – are behind the launch, which will involve a cup competition in 2021 before a full league being introduced alongside that in 2022.

Buchan said: “Application to Euro XIII is open to any domestic club throughout Europe. We already have more than 25 applications from 16 different nations for the 2021 competition and anyone else who wishes to apply still has a short time left to do so. More than one club can apply from a country but the competition will only allow one participant from each nation for 2021.

“Whilst we have placed domestic player development at the heart of this competition, we are also aware that not all domestic leagues throughout Europe are of the same standard, and so the Euro XIII will operate a draft system. This draft system will comprise of 36 draft picks for 2021 and will work in a similar way to the NFL Draft with weaker teams getting preference and more draft picks. We ́re confident that this exciting addition to Rugby League will level the playing field among clubs.”

The organisers say they ‘believe that Italy, Serbia and Spain continue to offer really exciting possibilities as future power nations of Rugby League’. Tiziano Franchini has been tasked with the governance of Euro XIII and is known by many in the game through his work with both the FIRL and RLEF. He said: “Europe has needed this competition for too long. Through the years there has been a lot of talk about a European domestic competition but now we finally have it.”

Orazio D’Arro, who has served as Italian Rugby League President since 2013, added: “To any fans who worry this won’t happen, my message is this.. this is happening! We have built a great team, we’ve got the finances in place to make this happen and we have a desire from clubs and nations around Europe to participate. Anyone familiar with myself or Tiziano will know that we have a history of delivering and with Dean and Spanish Rugby League we have a really good partner who bring a lot to the team.”
WhatsApp-Image-2020-05-12-at-21.49.04-675x360.jpeg

https://www.totalrl.com/new-euro-xi...nd-europe-in-2021-to-further-sports-expansion

deluded pom?

Coach
Is it too difficult for people to click on a link? Organisations appreciate the hits their website gets but they’ll get hardly any if people just copy and paste everything.

langpark

First Grade
Mate, I am a big fan of yours, but I have to say, massive pet hate of mine, it's: XIII no X111 as you have been writing it lately here and in other threads. I expected better from a true treiziste like yourself! :)

Now, regarding this Euro XIII thing, I have to say, I listened to the podcast in it's entirety and I am still none the wiser on what it's all about. All the important questions were left unanswered. Where is the money coming from? No answer. Which 14 nations applied? No answer. I hope it is legit though.

deluded pom?

Coach
Mate, I am a big fan of yours, but I have to say, massive pet hate of mine, it's: XIII no X111 as you have been writing it lately here and in other threads. I expected better from a true treiziste like yourself! :)

Now, regarding this Euro XIII thing, I have to say, I listened to the podcast in it's entirety and I am still none the wiser on what it's all about. All the important questions were left unanswered. Where is the money coming from? No answer. Which 14 nations applied? No answer. I hope it is legit though.
Please forgive me. It won’t happen again. Not sure who has applied but TRL are saying 25 clubs from 16 countries. I haven’t heard the podcast yet but I assume that’s where you got 14 from. It’ll be very interesting to see some flesh on the bones.

siv

First Grade
Seems to not be sanctioned by the RLEF

Is it World RL sniffing around again

In principle, it would be good to see as people start to realise that they will need to do something away from the ESL in Europe

It shouldn't replace the Balkans SL but add to it

And there is the main comp in France and how it gets effected

langpark

First Grade
And there is the main comp in France and how it gets effected
Won't be effected one iota I would imagine. Don't get things confused, we are talking about a League vs Cup. In France they have dozens of teams playing in League competitions week-in week-out. This Euro XIII is a cup format with intentions to evolve into a league in the future.

adamkungl

Immortal
Won't be effected one iota I would imagine. Don't get things confused, we are talking about a League vs Cup. In France they have dozens of teams playing in League competitions week-in week-out. This Euro XIII is a cup format with intentions to evolve into a league in the future.

The intention definitely seems to be a professional league within 2-3 years.
You would think a French team being promoted is a certainty.

Regarding the RLEF and the commentary calling this a "rebel" league:
How can member nations forming a league where no league exists be considered a breakaway? What are they breaking away from? "We were thinking about it (in private)" doesn't count as a functioning league.
If the RLEF try to shut this down because they were beaten to the punch, who's damaging the sport?

Lets hope the obvious happens and they join forces without the dramatics. There's nothing worth fighting over here except egos.

yakstorm

First Grade
I haven't seen the RLEF call the 'Euro XIII' a 'rebel' league, they have always referred to it as 'another proposed competition' and have stated that they have reached out to those involved in the 'Euro XIII' concept to present to the RLEF, so I feel like it hasn't turned hostile yet between the two parties.

To be honest, this really isn't a surprise. After the Balkan Super League, and various other 'cross-border' competitions, plus the likes of Valencia, Red Star, etc all wanting to join a 'larger' competition, that eventually someone would start looking at a European competition.

Unfortunately it's typical RL that we get two groups looking at it at the same time. Anyway, they arguably both seem to be quite different based upon the limited information shared.

Firstly the Euro XIII competition, has stated that it will be a Cup competition at first and be limited to one representative per country. The RLEF 'Pan-Europe' competition sounds like it has a 'regional or provincial' side to it, especially if you look at this article from the FFRXIII (https://www.ffr13.fr/actualite-a-la-une/communique-actions-perspectives-de-reprise/) where France has stated they'll be looking to enterParis, Lyon, PACA, Aude Cathare, Catalans, Midi-Pyrénées, le Tarn and Aquitaine.

If the FFRXIII is talking about the Pan-Europe competition (and not a third European competition), then it implies it is 'national' and then only the top teams join the 'elite'.

Now arguably there is room for both at this point in time, especially based upon what is talked about for 2021 / 2022, although I'd imagine they'd both want to evolve into some sort of traditional league structure and be the premier competition in continental Europe.

For me, neither option sounds that great at the moment. RLEF has a history of delivering 'bare-bone' competitions, which play the least numbers of matches possible, whilst on the flip side, a 16-team Cup competition will literally be over before it has begun with only 4 rounds of content. Hopefully all stakeholders can come together and deliver something of value.

adamkungl

Immortal
European Championship of the provinces

It will be set up from 2022. This championship will force us to finish the season in May because the European Championship of the provinces will be following.

8 teams have been identified: Paris, Lyon, PACA, Aude Cathare, Catalans, Midi-Pyrénées, Tarn, New Aquitaine.

The 2 finalists would go to play the European Championship of Provinces in May.

Huh. Another interesting idea.

Lets just hope they can sort this out without an unnecessary war.

https://everythingrugbyleague.com/s...BfiIdQ49QkvnfYeDT5FlDx8n2LI2avmI8aklXv0F1GPK0

The Serbian Rugby League Federation says it is not involved with the proposed Euro XIII competition set to start in 2022.

According to reports, a group called Euro XIII says it will stage a cup competition in 2021 before a full European league being introduced alongside that in 2022. It claims more than 25 clubs from 16 different countries have applied to be part of this new competition.

However, this league is not sanctioned by the Rugby League European Federation (RLEF), the governing body for the sport on the continent.

Vladan Kikanovic, the general secretary of the Serbian Rugby League Federation, says he only heard about Euro XIII through social media and his organisation has not received any invitation or approach regarding it.

Kikanvoic is unaware of any clubs in Serbia being involved in it, and admits clubs in his country would face a ban if they engaged in Euro XIII without official approval.

“None of clubs informed Serbian Rugby League Federation with official information that they were in contact regarding Euro XIII,” he told Everything Rugby League.

“Maybe some clubs were in contact, but we don’t have any information regarding that and I assume that happened, because usually clubs inform us and ask questions and for advice.

“By Serbian Law in Sport and Serbian Rugby League Federation rules and regulations clubs need to approach to the national governing body for approval to engage in any international activities -tournaments, matches, tours – if they don’t do it, they will be banned by the national governing body.

“We know that almost all RLEF members have that system in place. For example as I know the RFL clubs and teams that tour Serbia needed sanction or approval of the RFL to go on tour.

“That is good governance in sport in place, because if we don’t have it there will be anarchy. I worked in football before and that system is also in place in football.

“Also I can stress that there was no info from the RLEF regarding this competition.

“We like idea of European club competition and we were nation that started and invested a lot of money in the Balkan Super League, this competition helped all Balkan nations, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey and also Italy join last year.

“The big question is how Covid-19 will impact on global sport, because of this my personal view is that in 2021 Serbia and probably other rugby league nations need to focus to revive rugby league as a sport after the great pause and break and focus domestically and to strengthen local competition and clubs.

“Lot of amateur and pro clubs will struggle financially across the globe and maybe it’s not realistic to host in 2021 competition like that. Football as the biggest sport in Europe will suffer.

“It will be very hard to return spectators to stadiums in any sport, due to the Coronavirus. All sport will be different after Covid-19.”

Everything Rugby League understands Red Star Belgrade, the biggest club in Serbia, is not associated with Euro XIII.

It is believed the governing bodies of Scotland and Wales are not involved with the breakaway competition.

According to a statement released on Wednesday, the RLEF has been working to launch its own professional club competition in Europe for the past six months.

“The RLEF has been made aware of another proposed competition – set up as a private enterprise initiative – following an initial meeting, which some of their members were invited to attend,” the statement reads.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Federation was informed of this meeting after it had taken place. That group is not sanctioned by the governing body, however, the RLEF has already invited those behind the proposal to formally present to their working group.

“The RLEF is keen to hold discussions with investors who they can work with to progress the sport for the benefit of all.”

Latest posts