What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tell me how long is the tradition of that club,5 years,50 years 100 years.Long enough to build real tribalism? You ask many, they follow the club first, the game second.
See the sign "Souths til I dies" at club games."
Those guys would teach you a thing or two.And you are lecturing Sydney club fans, about their preferences. LOL.

Yeh I see the signs, amongst the 10,000 fans lol. I'm not saying tribalism doesnt exist, just that it isnt driving people to games, to tv or to buying memberships in any great numbers therefore of how much value is it in creating a thriving professional sport business?

The best Jnrs went over to RU as it was the only opportunity to play professional "Rugby" and stay in their home city. Not a problem in Sydney.

Accepted you wull some of thefans from that relegated club. Next generation, if RL puts the yards in not to lose them will support someone else and the free space created witht he license will hopefully see the new club bringing more fans than the lost one. You dont support a struggling business in a saturated market when you have other markets with no service at all crying out for that product. Its hard but thats business, want local follow your local comp.

And you think the AFL will relocate them? They have stated via Gil they have no plans to do so.Remember when they tried a merge involving Hawthorn,.there was a revolt, why tribalism in the ned prevailed.
The only possibility would be Tasmania an AFL state.WA an AFL state.
And the decent numbers of Melbourne clubs that also get decent poker machine monies that won't be
Once all Sydney NRL clubs are back to the business end ,with their grants, sponsors, reduced management costs, they should all be at worst breaking even or having a small manageable loss.

I'm sure they'd like to! didnt they offer big money to try and get one of them to go to GC? They've relocated two already, I wouldnt say its impossible in years to come a coupe more may follow.

Really? They have had $6mill over cap last two years and many seem no closer to breaking even let alone making a profit. Your own Sharks managed to lose $5million in that same period!
Only way it will happen is if the NRL gets serious on imposing a spending cap.

Anyways discussed this a milllion times in the NRL expansion area so back to Vlandys

unforgiven

Bench
Yeh I see the signs, amongst the 10,000 fans lol. I'm not saying tribalism doesnt exist, just that it isnt driving people to games, to tv or to buying memberships in any great numbers therefore of how much value is it in creating a thriving professional sport business?

The best Jnrs went over to RU as it was the only opportunity to play professional "Rugby" and stay in their home city. Not a problem in Sydney.

Accepted you wull some of thefans from that relegated club. Next generation, if RL puts the yards in not to lose them will support someone else and the free space created witht he license will hopefully see the new club bringing more fans than the lost one. You dont support a struggling business in a saturated market when you have other markets with no service at all crying out for that product. Its hard but thats business, want local follow your local comp.

I'm sure they'd like to! didnt they offer big money to try and get one of them to go to GC? They've relocated two already, I wouldnt say its impossible in years to come a coupe more may follow.

Really? They have had $6mill over cap last two years and many seem no closer to breaking even let alone making a profit. Your own Sharks managed to lose $5million in that same period!

Anyways discussed this a milllion times in the NRL expansion area so back to Vlandys

That is not necessarily true, why would my kids start supporting another team when they lose all exposure to the game? It would no longer be on my in my house, they would no longer be attending games. Who is going to introduce them to the game?

There are not 12 premier league teams.

At the moment there are five: Chelsea; Tottenham; Arsenal; Crystal Palace; West Ham.

In Div 2 / Championship there are five: Millwall; QPR; Fulham; Brentford; Charlton Athletic.

In Div 3 / League 1 there is AFC Wimbledon and in Div 4 / League 2 there is Leyton Orient.

In my experience, even if a team was in Premier League and got relegated - eg QPR - there is no way in hell that the QPR fans suddenly latch on to Arsenal or Tottenham and follow a team in Premier League.

There's actually enough people to follow and watch all the Sydney teams. The NRL and clubs just need to engage them all properly and professionally.

fourplay

Juniors
Vlandys is now saying he will probably walk away from the game once he has done the tv deal as it would be his way of "repaying the favour to rugby league". Wtf?

And why is he trying to extend the deal all the way to 2027 at such bargain basement rates. This whole thing stinks. The media's agenda to get rid of Greenberg, and their love affair with Vlandy's. I'm convinced he is a Murdoch stooge who is going to f**k the NRL, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s be ironic if after all this the refs go on strike because of Vlandys and there’s no games in two weeks!

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has slammed the referees union after the governing body made a complaint with the Fair Work Commission over the NRL’s new one-referee system.

The situation threatens to turn ugly just two weeks out from the start of the revised season.
Professional Rugby League Match Officials on Thursday claimed the league had no right to change the officiating model under the current enterprise agreement.

They have engaged the services of Harmers Workplace Lawyers with the goal of finding a resolution before the competition resumes on May 28, but won’t rule out strike action.

V’landys has launched a passionate defence of the decision, saying PRLMO chair Silvio Del Vecchio is not helping referees.

“It’s totally ludicrous and I don’t think his confrontational and misleading approach is helping his association,” V’landys said.
“We’ve done nothing wrong. All the 21 referees that are full-time will be kept.”

Del Vecchio told AAP they are confident of getting the NRL to overturn Wednesday’s decision and go back to using two on-field referees.

The PRLMO says that under the terms of the four-year agreement, which began in 2019, the governing body must persist with the two-referee system.

In a letter sent to the ARL Commission the union presented a number of reasons why any rule change required more consultation.
They included duty of care to players and match officials, best interests of fans and sponsors, and potential errors in calculation of financial savings.

Cost saving has been a reason given by V’landys to move back to one referee, while he also says it has the backing of fans.

The NRL points to a survey conducted in 2019, where fans were asked what rule innovation would they like to see to make the game more unpredictable and entertaining.
Around 18,000 people responded, and V’landys says the second highest response behind changes to scrums was reverting to one referee.

AAP has requested a copy of the survey results.

Del Vecchio calculated that even if the NRL terminated all eight of its casual whistleblowers, the savings amounts to less than $300,000 a year.

“We’ve done the maths. When you average it out over the course of the remaining games of the year, it equates to $20 per minute of each game,” he said.

“It’s just peanuts. It’s unnecessary.

“More importantly, they haven’t consulted with us. We can recommend different ways to save a lot of money in the NRL in the refereeing department.”

Asked whether the referees would take strike action if a resolution can’t be reached before May 28, Del Vecchio said: “We’ll assess it at that time.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/e5c9b47842513309ff5ab1d7bd588783

shear_joy9

Coach
can't help but think the ref union issues could have been handled if V'landys had met with them and explained what was happening before announcing the decision.

cowboy V'landys

T-Boon

Coach
The coaches and players have said it will slow things down, international vs NRL show that it will slow things down, and the referees are against it.

Rules that the NRL coaches don't like/want are exactly what is needed. The coaches are not good for rugby league, they are actually bad (wrestling, decoys etc).They don't care about RL as such. If a rule upsets NRL coaches it is probably a sign it is a rule that is good for RL. Coaches being confused and playing catch up is exactly what the NRL needs because it means they have less time to spend on working on wrestling and all the other cheaty type things they spend their late nights on.

taipan

Referee

You really don't read what I have stated on posts, Tribalism covers the fanatics the casuals and the latent/sleepers.That combination doesn't happen overnight but is built up over generations or decades at least.Compare the tribalism of the cowboys with that of the Titans.
Again spelt out how infrastructure without decent cover affects crowds .

You ignore merchandise sales by people of various commitments to a club.

Well actually in Sydney sometimes up and coming rl players get scholarships to ru playing privates schoolsI personally know of 1, the son f a former Bulldog's player. Union has next to zero chance of getting NRL players, so they try and garb the young ones.To say it's not a problem ,it's at least an issue.

It's all very well to talk about the next generation, but for example with the Bears, there "ain't " no new generation.There is a void ,union has always been strong there, and AFLis not in private schools and making a presence.The governing body cannot put yards ,metres or miles into getting Bears' people to follow another club nor the new generation, there is nothing there.

You can''t live on hope a new club might bring in these extra fans.The Titans in a city of 600K and a big junior base ,plus a great stadium cannot muster the numbers expected as an example.

The AFL did indeed relocate two, and the Swans struggled and nearly went down the gurgler. As explained the SL war was one of the greatest free kicks given to AFL relocation clubs. Ditto the Lions
Whatever the AFL have offered clubs to merge or relocate since , it hasn't worked.Snd the AFL has thrown their hands up in defeat

I have never shjed away from the Sharks losing money.And if one goes through their history of replacing coaches before contract finishes, salary cap dramas and fines, drug fines, loss of sponsors as a result, paying out players who misbehaved, top heavy football depts,,and one or two hopeless CEOs, one can see how they get themselves into such financial crap.
However they own their own ground, their new Leagues club will be built and they have money in the Bank.

If they or any club for that matter cannot operate successfully with cost cutting and the same grants as before, then they do not deserve to be in the NRL.AFAIK there is to be a spending cap set.
And that also applies to any expansion clubs Storm and Perth. Remember the Storm would not have survived without the largesse of News Ltd.So even new businesses can fail.

There was a story in the SMH yesterday about V'Landys from Pru Goward a professor at Western Sydney Uni, who admitted the guy is not her style of bloke, but he gets things done and she cites other leaders who did likewise.
Now if he gets the comp up and running on 28/5 that's a plus.
If he saves the code fullstop,that's a plus.

That he is not there for a popularity contest, but to solve issues.The passive approach many times doesn't work, he sets timelines and works to them just like successful business people.These are not my words but Goward's.

mongoose

Coach
In my experience, even if a team was in Premier League and got relegated - eg QPR - there is no way in hell that the QPR fans suddenly latch on to Arsenal or Tottenham and follow a team in Premier League.

This is true, the tribalism over there is intense. People will hold a grudge against you if you support the wrong team.

Storm80

Juniors
can't help but think the ref union issues could have been handled if V'landys had met with them and explained what was happening before announcing the decision.

cowboy V'landys

Same could be said of everything the NRL has done since COVID19 - whether it’s the media deal, negotiating with gov and players, NRL staff, refs and changing rules mid season.

Playing it all out publicly in the media, every dispute and negotiation, is just not necessary. The job could have been done without the copious amounts of drama this restart has had. The drama only seems to benefit or promote the brand of PVL and not the brand of the NRL.

As for the latest dispute with the Refs, every employee in Australia has a legal right to be consulted before publicly hearing their job is to made redundant like the refs did. Theres a legal process a business must adhere to when making staff redundant.

It’s poor leadership by the NRL if they have breached enterprise agreements. Just another drama along the way that the NRL could have easily avoided by consulting the Refs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Same could be said of everything the NRL has done since COVID19 - whether it’s the media deal, negotiating with gov and players, NRL staff, refs and changing rules mid season.

Playing it all out publicly in the media, every dispute and negotiation, is just not necessary. The job could have been done without the copious amounts of drama this restart has had. The drama only seems to benefit or promote the brand of PVL and not the brand of the NRL.

As for the latest dispute with the Refs, every employee in Australia has a legal right to be consulted before publicly hearing their job is to made redundant like the refs did. Theres a legal process a business must adhere to when making staff redundant.

It’s poor leadership by the NRL if they have breached enterprise agreements. Just another drama along the way that the NRL could have easily avoided by consulting the Refs.

the joys of a dictatorship. His reputation As a chair of Arlc rests on the tv deal and digital imo. If he brings it home with a good deal and maintaining digital control all will be forgiven, if we lose a shed of money in the existing and extended contract and/or give up the digital investment he will go down as the one of the worse chair/pseudo CEO’s we’ve had

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is true, the tribalism over there is intense. People will hold a grudge against you if you support the wrong team.

When I was a kid I used to have to walk on the other side of the road from my uncle on derby day on the way to Boulevard, nobody needs to explain tribalism to me! What I also know is tribalism didn’t help us when we couldn’t pay the bills and went into administration and nearly dissapeared forever. Tribalism can be of great advantage when you have teams in the same city but we don’t seem to be benefitting from it when you look at the size of Sydney crowds, yes I get geography, stadium quality and ko times need to be better but when two teams with great tribal rivalry can only get 15k to a game you have to say it isn’t a big driver of fan engagement.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
When I was a kid I used to have to walk on the other side of the road from my uncle on derby day on the way to Boulevard, nobody needs to explain tribalism to me! What I also know is tribalism didn’t help us when we couldn’t pay the bills and went into administration and nearly dissapeared forever. Tribalism can be of great advantage when you have teams in the same city but we don’t seem to be benefitting from it when you look at the size of Sydney crowds, yes I get geography, stadium quality and ko times need to be better but when two teams with great tribal rivalry can only get 15k to a game you have to say it isn’t a big driver of fan engagement.
Fremantle now play in East Perth.

You have one Stadium.

I see why all the players will have to leave.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I look forward to our NRL finals ready boutique 25,000 stadium, overlooking Botany Bay.

You should come for game, Leagues club the one built in, goes off.

Great times have been had, and more to be had.

You need reefy for 4am sambucas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fremantle now play in East Perth.

You have one Stadium.

I see why all the players will have to leave.

that’s because our clubs aren’t stupid, Fremantle choose to play in a state of the art stadium that can fit 65k in it rather than a suburban ground that only holds 15k in Fremantle.