What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Sydney clubs will merge within the next decade - Gould

taipan

Referee
I lost most of my passion for the game when the Magpies merged with the Tigers. I was a Magpies fan but absolutely hated Balmain. The Wests Tigers do not interest me at all. Nowadays I am just a casual observer with no real team to follow (although being from Newcastle I do take a passing interest in the Knights).

You melad have reinforced my point, about merged and flicked teams' supporters, not following other clubs ,but taking only a casual interest. Gets back to tribalism.

taipan

Referee
Don't see a need for mergers, booting teams will be a far better option.

Western Sydney Panthers would be ideal. If we can find away to remove Parramatta from the competition. God knows they've disgraced our great game enough.

Cronulla should be booted too. No brainer really. Why merge when they can just follow the Dragons? Their fans won't mind.

Manly will stay alive through a lucrative contract with Crazy John and 3 Mobile. The 3 Mobile Crazy John Sea Eagles.

That should do the job.

"Cronulla fans won't mind" LOl. No local derbies, no local hate that has developed since 1967. We'll all take up skin diving.

flippikat

Bench
without including the current mergers.
Maroon, Navy, white for Easts sydney sea eagles.
Blue gold and white for Parramatta bulldogs.
Aqua, red, black and white for South sydney sharks.

Good ideas.. I can definitely see some variation of the 1940s wartime Roosters jersey (light blue, red & white V) for a Sharks/Roosters jersey.. or a Navy/Maroon/White Roosters/Sea Eagles jersey.

As for the Eels/Bulldogs, well.. we already had a glimpse of what *that* could look like...

images

TheFrog

Coach
The strange thing about all this is that Gus didn't even mention clubs merging in his podcast, although he did predict when the comp shut down that the club landscape wouldn't be the same going forward. He's wrong a lot old Gussy, I wouldn't worry too much.

TheFrog

Coach
Western Sydney Panthers would be ideal. If we can find away to remove Parramatta from the competition. God knows they've disgraced our great game enough.
They'll want us to play at the flash new stadium then. f**k that. Pity you can't rip up a stadium by the roots and move it.

Aint going to happen anytime soon. But if it was to happen:
- Canterbury to merge with Manly
- Bankstown to merge with Warringah
- St George Illawarra with Wests Tigers to be named St George Balmain Western Suburbs Illawarra Dragon-Magpie Steel Tiger, to play at Campbelltown, Leichhardt, Kogarah, Wollongong and train at Concord.
- Cronulla with Roosters
- Penrith with Parramatta
- Kick Souths and Manly out

Simple

flippikat

Bench
- St George Illawarra with Wests Tigers to be named St George Balmain Western Suburbs Illawarra Dragon-Magpie Steel Tiger, to play at Campbelltown, Leichhardt, Kogarah, Wollongong and train at Concord.

Wearing a big red V on an orange/black/white striped jersey, with a logo featuring St George slaying an robotic steel dragon with a tiger-head and magpie wings.

Cool.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I don't see any need for mergers

At worst we should see 2 teams relocated to Adelaide(eg Easts) and Perth(eg Wests)

Then you get Brisbane 2(Redcliffe) and CC Bears for 18 clubs

With Brisbane 3(Ipswich) and NZ 2(Wellington/Christchurch) if we expand further

Forget Adelaide, put a NSW Cup team there. No interest. Can have a team in 20 or 30 years if need be.

Fangs

Coach
All this talk about merging and no talk about a team in Tasmania. Its a winner and we need to make a move on it immediately.

The Tasmanian Tigers. Perfect name after the Tigers are booted from the comp. Other Tasmanian Devils but its not as good I think.

Valheru

Coach
We’re kinda on the way to doing this. Calling them North Sydney but based in the east is a bit silly. I know Souths/Homebush. Given that we’ve already changed our name more than once and it’s mainly our money, Sydney will suffice. However I’d be happy to give a nod to them on the jersey (sleeve or back) kinda what Swans do re South Melbourne. All games at Allianz but one or two traditionally low draw matches such as Cows or Tits at N Sydney oval.

Completely agree.

No need for a name change. I don't see any fans we are able to attract in North Sydney having an issue with our current "Sydney" name.

There is no way that Penrith and Parramatta could ever merge. Not possible in any way.

They almost did. Back during the end of the Super League war.

I actually spoke with Denis Fitzgerald back ‘04 when he was the CEO at Parra and I remember asking him the question about whether or not the rumour was true that Penrith & Parra were considering a merge. He said that indeed it was and it was pretty much rubber stamped but when word got out that it was Souths that was in trouble, and that Balmain would merge with Wests, both clubs figured they would be safe so talks ended.

I couldn’t believe it when he said this but he said that he agreed for the potential merger to be known as the Penrith-Paramatta Panthers!

unforgiven

Bench
They almost did. Back during the end of the Super League war.

I actually spoke with Denis Fitzgerald back ‘04 when he was the CEO at Parra and I remember asking him the question about whether or not the rumour was true that Penrith & Parra were considering a merge. He said that indeed it was and it was pretty much rubber stamped but when word got out that it was Souths that was in trouble, and that Balmain would merge with Wests, both clubs figured they would be safe so talks ended.

I couldn’t believe it when he said this but he said that he agreed for the potential merger to be known as the Penrith-Paramatta Panthers!
Fitzgerald was really trying to get rid of the eels branding by the sounds of it, same reason he wanted the Tigers merger was to pick up the mascot.

AJB1102

First Grade
You are right about coaches but every club in the League moves players on. It's hard to think of many that he moved on that did better elsewhere. Blake Austin probably, but how many years ago was that. And Sivo of course but he could still be a one season wonder. Apisai Koroisau is a third but we've got him back now.

Austin and Sivo?

Jennings and Lewis.

AJB1102

First Grade
Yeah Wade Graham too, but these were all the best part of a decade ago.

Wade joined Cronulla in 2011, same year Gus became Panthers GM so I excluded him.

If it was under his reign it doesn't matter how long ago it was.

TheFrog

Coach
Wade joined Cronulla in 2011, same year Gus became Panthers GM so I excluded him.

If it was under his reign it doesn't matter how long ago it was.
Yep Wade signed towards the end of 2010, it seems Elliott didn't rate him. Don't know why, everyone else did.

I forgot this was about Gus. Lewis and Jennings were quality. Gus always admired Lewis and brought him into the Origin squad as a development player, the first ever, back in '03. But Luke wanted to move on. Losing the captaincy didn't sit well. It's never really been explained why that happened, but there was considerable player pushback at the back end of Petero's time and Luke seemed to be mixed up in that. Jennings also wasn't giving of his best with us, he was a lazy so and so but got a new lease of life in a new environment.

T-Boon

Coach
Fitzgerald was really trying to get rid of the eels branding by the sounds of it, same reason he wanted the Tigers merger was to pick up the mascot.

Yeah pretty weird, wanting to go from the very unique Eels to the Tigers which is probably the least unique name is sports. Fitzs lost his marbles.