What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Yeah i think so just judging from my own behaviour. Ive got less inclination to go. Its pretty pricey especially when youve already sunk entertainment costs into subscriptions.

I hope im wrong. Its a good social outlet

Yes mate agreed and hope you are wrong too!

I’ve actually been to the movies more times in the last year than I can remember for a long time. I love it as phones are off, no distractions (apart from snack noises and some idiots who keep moving in and out to the toilet), with a big screen and sound that can’t be beaten.

But I do fear that more and more movies will he released through Netflix etc, where the cost of launching them is far far less. And people will indeed be more inclined to stay at home and save coin.

So the younger generations will be more used to this platform of entertainment than i am. And industries will change to adapt as a result.

It’ll be interesting to see how people’s behaviours go once Covid passes by.. and wouldn’t be surprised that for an industry that has Netflix as a competitor, Covid could kill off so many more cinemas. I hope I’m wrong.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Back in the day going to the cinema was an event, before the main movie started you had some sort of news reel or a travel documentary then you would have a cartoon, usually Tom and Jerry then you would have a break for the candy bar before the main feature started or sometimes if the movie was a long one you would have an intermission during the main movie. The candy bar was always busy, there were choc tops, just vanilla with chocolate coating, none of those fancy flavours and artisan ones we have now, lollies were usually Jaffa’s, Maltesers, Fantales and jubes and there was orange cordial already made up in cups, none of these super sized soft drinks.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yes mate agreed and hope you are wrong too!

I’ve actually been to the movies more times in the last year than I can remember for a long time. I love it as phones are off, no distractions (apart from snack noises and some idiots who keep moving in and out to the toilet), with a big screen and sound that can’t be beaten.

But I do fear that more and more movies will he released through Netflix etc, where the cost of launching them is far far less. And people will indeed be more inclined to stay at home and save coin.

So the younger generations will be more used to this platform of entertainment than i am. And industries will change to adapt as a result.

It’ll be interesting to see how people’s behaviours go once Covid passes by.. and wouldn’t be surprised that for an industry that has Netflix as a competitor, Covid could kill off so many more cinemas. I hope I’m wrong.

I’m a member of the Dendy club so it makes it worthwhile going to the movies , the Dendy quite often has some interesting realeases beside the main stream ones. The Ritz at Randwick was having an Alfred Hitchcock festival and I was going to see some of the movies during March and April but of course I couldn’t see them, I also check out what The Cremorne Orphium has on also.

I’m a member of the Dendy club so it makes it worthwhile going to the movies , the Dendy quite often has some interesting realeases beside the main stream ones. The Ritz at Randwick was having an Alfred Hitchcock festival and I was going to see some of the movies during March and April but of course I couldn’t see them, I also check out what The Cremorne Orphium has on also.

awesome stuff.

There’s a drive-in about ten minutes down the road from my place. I didn’t know they still existed, but moved here 6 months ago (North of Adelaide) and it’s still a thing here. It’s great to know that some of the old school simple life pleasures still exist.

horrie hastings

First Grade
awesome stuff.

There’s a drive-in about ten minutes down the road from my place. I didn’t know they still existed, but moved here 6 months ago (North of Adelaide) and it’s still a thing here. It’s great to know that some of the old school simple life pleasures still exist.

Used to be a lot of drive ins dotted around Sydney but one by one they all closed except the one in Blacktown, would love to go to a drive in again just for the experience, i remember you used to pull up and fix the speaker to your car windows, i think these days for the ones that still exist you tune your car radio into a certain frequency.

View attachment 38349

Mum and dad used to play this album all the time in the car when I was a kid. I grew to love Fleetwood Mac because of this album. I listen to this album quite often.

My mum and dad used to play this on the old record player at full volume, while me and my younger sister would cringe...

upload_2020-5-17_17-54-45.jpeg

I’ve now inherited the family record player, along with the vinyl collection, and funny how I miss mum and dad playing all their records that I loathed back in those days.

Parra

Referee
Used to be a lot of drive ins dotted around Sydney but one by one they all closed except the one in Blacktown, would love to go to a drive in again just for the experience, i remember you used to pull up and fix the speaker to your car windows, i think these days for the ones that still exist you tune your car radio into a certain frequency.

Can't work our why they had to shut the drive-in for Covd-19. Would seem the perfect entertainment option the way things are.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Can't work our why they had to shut the drive-in for Covd-19. Would seem the perfect entertainment option the way things are.

Easy, it's hard to social distance in a car when your 1/2 a metre away from the passengers, remember there was a car load of young blokes who got takeaway and grog and consumed them in their car until the cops busted them.

The Rosco

Bench
Horrie . . . I heard that they are planning to start up the old Fairfield drive-in again in the near future. Apparently in the carpark area of the Fairfield markets. I might have to get in shape by doing some tongue curls and finger squats. Aaaahh the memories.

Parra

Referee
Easy, it's hard to social distance in a car when your 1/2 a metre away from the passengers, remember there was a car load of young blokes who got takeaway and grog and consumed them in their car until the cops busted them.

All from the same house would have to be the deal.

Horrie . . . I heard that they are planning to start up the old Fairfield drive-in again in the near future. Apparently in the carpark area of the Fairfield markets. I might have to get in shape by doing some tongue curls and finger squats. Aaaahh the memories.

I have a vague memory of there being a drive-in at Taree Point. Pretty sure we snuck in the old mans panno for a Muppets movie.

horrie hastings

First Grade

horrie hastings

First Grade
I've been meaning to revisit Bambi , I have it on DVD but I haven't seen it since at the movies in the early 70s, my older sister, cousin and I were going to the movies and it was a choice between Bambi and Count Yorga Vampire, my sister wanted to see Count Yoga, I wanted to see Bambi and my cousin was happy to see either so Bambi won , it was on at the Odeon at Randwick which doesn't exist anymore. As for the drive in the first movie I saw was Ryan's Daughter, again with my sister and cousin and my father drove, I dont remember much about the movie apart from a love scene, i was much to young but it was a trip to the drive in, it was the one at Matraville, apart from Ryan's Daughter the only other movies I remember seeing at Matraville were The Towering Inferno and The Deep, there were probably more but they are the ones I remember. I also saw Love At First Bite at the Summerland drive in near Lismore ironically with my cousin again and my little brother.

I met my wife in early 2000 and for that period saw a lot of films at Bass Hill Drive In.

Things like Hollowman, Frequency, The Dish, Stir of Echoes, What Lies Beneath...

No funny business though lol. I had to be dating a movie buff. Before kids, it'd be nothing to go to the movies 3-4 times a week. Even now, the kids are older, there's that thrill of the cinema. It'd be a shame for cinema to die out.

Bass Hill closed 2007 and is just now suburbia on Cinema themed named streets.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of talk about reopening Drive Ins now mainly for live bands as its the only way they can perform in front of crowds who are social distancing

Latest posts