What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI - out of retirement to Warrington

johns_reds

First Grade
Its not uncommon for players to forego the final years of there contracts to retire early. Uts happened dozens of times with players usually being parachuted into roles within their clubs.

Souths is one of the few occasions where a club has actually still been hit with loss of cap space (900k last year, 100k this year).
But he didn’t, they are scamming it and paying him 1.5m as “pathways manager” what ever that is

soc123_au

Staff member
But if Wallace did should Panthers suddenly be copped for a salary cap hit for a salary they didn't pay?
He is missing the acl completely in one of his knees. This may be a foreign concept for souffs & their supporters, but there is such a thing as a medical retirement for, you know, actual medical issues. Wal would never retire because of pea heartedness, it's not in his dna.

Pommy

Coach
Well if he does that then that’s fair enough, as his contract with Souths expired at the end of 2020. So after that he can do whatever he wants. The issue and why it seems to be such a rort is Souths were allowed to get a dud contract off their books due to a guy ‘retiring’ when less then 12 months later, and when still in said contract period, he is suddenly out of retirement. Meanwhile the money saved had allowed Souths to sign 3 State of Origin players.

so it’s not ok for him to play in 2021 but it is in 2022 because his contract ended in 2020? Is that the argument you’ve just made?

Dingo_dan

Juniors
He is missing the acl completely in one of his knees. This may be a foreign concept for souffs & their supporters, but there is such a thing as a medical retirement for, you know, actual medical issues. Wal would never retire because of pea heartedness, it's not in his dna.
All well and good, but Peter wallace didn't medically retire. For whatever reason he wasn't eligible. Hence he had a normal retirement, foregoed the remainder of his contract and immediately took on a post football role with the panthers.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
But he didn’t, they are scamming it and paying him 1.5m as “pathways manager” what ever that is
If you looked at any club there's a dozens of former players in similar roles. Darren Lockyer is a board member for broncos, do you think he got the role because of his business acumen

soc123_au

Staff member
All well and good, but Peter wallace didn't medically retire. For whatever reason he wasn't eligible. Hence he had a normal retirement, foregoed the remainder of his contract and immediately took on a post football role with the panthers.
Pretty sure it was a medical retirement. I'd be happy to concede it wasnt if you post a link to proof. In any case he hasnt just signed to go & play somewhere else.

Pommy

Coach
Pretty sure it was a medical retirement. I'd be happy to concede it wasnt if you post a link to proof. In any case he hasnt just signed to go & play somewhere else.

Let’s look at this objectively if a player chooses to retire is that the clubs fault?
if a player then goes on to come out of retirement is that his previous employers fault?

people calling for punishment are going to be severely disappointed when they realise there’s nothing to be punished for, or at least nothing that can be proven. Just RL fans whinging like they do best.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not hard to see why clubs are losing money is it? Wonder how much club salary is taken up with ex players due to back ended sweeteners for contract extensions?

soc123_au

Staff member
Let’s look at this objectively if a player chooses to retire is that the clubs fault?
if a player then goes on to come out of retirement is that his previous employers fault?

people calling for punishment are going to be severely disappointed when they realise there’s nothing to be punished for, or at least nothing that can be proven. Just RL fans whinging like they do best.

The issue is clubs signing players to massive long term contracts with a better than average chance that the player wont be worth the contract value in the final few years. Doing that they are getting the player for the good first few years at a better price than they should have. It's common for players to sacrifice a percentage of their yearly value for a longer deal even when there is every expectation they will see out the deal at their peak.

Pommy

Coach
is it? I thought he was coming back this season?

if so then it’s my mistake and I retract my complaint

we’re going to be lucky if there is a 2020 season, wire would have to move someone on to fit him in. I believe that’s going to be Austin but don’t hold me to it, either way it’s unlikely to happen overnight.

Pommy

Coach
The issue is clubs signing players to massive long term contracts with a better than average chance that the player wont be worth the contract value in the final few years. Doing that they are getting the player for the good first few years at a better price than they should have. It's common for players to sacrifice a percentage of their yearly value for a longer deal even when there is every expectation they will see out the deal at their peak.

I understand the concerns but I’m not sure how you police that objectively. You can’t force someone to come to work everyday and an employer shouldn’t be punished if an employee decides they won’t do it anymore.
I’m not even saying there’s nothing going on behind the scenes but that’s pure unprovable hear say at best.

soc123_au

Staff member
I understand the concerns but I’m not sure how you police that objectively. You can’t force someone to come to work everyday and an employer shouldn’t be punished if an employee decides they won’t do it anymore.
I’m not even saying there’s nothing going on behind the scenes but that’s pure unprovable hear say at best.

You can’t really. If the player has decided they have just had enough then terminate the contract. No cushy gig from the club. If GI pulled the pin & then went and got a job independently I can see no problem. The invented 300k a year position at Souths is the issue. It just reeked of Souths trying to shed a shit contract.

Pommy

Coach
You can’t really. If the player has decided they have just had enough then terminate the contract. No cushy gig from the club. If GI pulled the pin & then went and got a job independently I can see no problem. The invented 300k a year position at Souths is the issue. It just reeked of Souths trying to shed a shit contract.

Or trying to help a premiership winning legend of the club and game through a difficult part of their life. Being so cynical and pessimistic isn’t mandatory to be a fan of the sport.