What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

Bulabrother

Juniors
Physical distancing has not just got Covid 19 under control but also crushed other infections - there were 18,377 cases of flu in Australia in April 2019 but less than 100 instances in the first 3 weeks of April 2020. No doubt colder weather will result in some increase but the country is very healthy at the moment.
As long as everyone is doing the right thing and just using common sense and fingers crossed there’s isn’t a second wave coming and we can get back playing footy in 2020

Sharky with your extensive knowledge in the RMC do you think the competition will go ahead this year. I ask as you hear a lot of things that happen in the RMC from a lot of sources.

Not sure mate. It will all depend on the government announcements over the next couple of weeks.

I know individual teams will feel the pinch with their leagues clubs closed. I'm sure clubs will have things in place to endeavour to get their teams on the field.

If Massey and Shield do start I can see them missing a few teams.

I hope their is some footy played but I'm not optimistic about it.

Cabramatta are out.

Hearing a few clubs are still to make a decision. I know most would like to make a fresh start in 2021 and just scrap 2020.

There is some interest from clubs in the Illawarra comp in joining Massey for 2020.

rightleftin

Juniors
In 2002 the number of clubs in the Metro Cup dropped from 7 to 5 so the NSWRL helped fund a Newtown team so there 6 teams in the top grade and 5 in reserve grade. Teams played each other 3 times before the finals.

MountainMan

Juniors
A joint Massey/Shield Comp for 2020 perhaps?
Plenty of players will be looking to sign elsewhere if there clubs have pulled out (Blacktown,Guildford,Cabra) as well as the Canterbury Cup players without clubs for 2020 will be seeking some game time.Id imagine that should spread an even comp or decently competitive.

imgunawin72

Juniors
A joint Massey/Shield Comp for 2020 perhaps?
Plenty of players will be looking to sign elsewhere if there clubs have pulled out (Blacktown,Guildford,Cabra) as well as the Canterbury Cup players without clubs for 2020 will be seeking some game time.Id imagine that should spread an even comp or decently competitive.
The Flegg players might be looking to get a start somewhere as well. So the clubs that do enter SS and RMC will have plenty to choose from.

MountainMan

Juniors
Could possibly see a revival in local park footy A Grade competitions with the high number of available players.
If the NRL returns and is the only sport available to watch for a while,the game could also gain some new interest in the youth/grass roots participation numbers .
Penrith Emu rugby union club have gained some interest during this off period and are confirmed to join a shortened Shute shield comp,as will a Newcastle outfit.
Interesting couple of months ahead.

rightleftin

Juniors
The Silktails are still hoping that the Australian border is opened to the Western Pacific before 28 July so that they can continue to participate in 2020. Covid is virtually unknown in Fiji, with only 18 cases recorded and no fatalities. PNG has had only 8 cases.

Adam jeffries

Juniors
Could possibly see a revival in local park footy A Grade competitions with the high number of available players.
If the NRL returns and is the only sport available to watch for a while,the game could also gain some new interest in the youth/grass roots participation numbers .
Penrith Emu rugby union club have gained some interest during this off period and are confirmed to join a shortened Shute shield comp,as will a Newcastle outfit.
Interesting couple of months ahead.
The revival of Agrade won’t happen in 2020 most clubs have pulled the pin with Senior sides due to lack of funding

Butts74

Juniors
The revival of Agrade won’t happen in 2020 most clubs have pulled the pin with Senior sides due to lack of funding
I agree , and it’s not just the A grade you’ll find a fair few more shield and Massey teams pull out before the deadline because of financial problems

Butts74

Juniors
Yeah I’m hearing that Windsor will pull the pin this year. Rumour going round that wenty will do the same.

rightleftin

Juniors
The Mounties club has been offering various food delivery and care services to members during the close down and the cafes and takeaway food services have ramped up to such an extent that the Group has 250 staff back at work and is very keen to bring back adult sport as soon as they heath orders allow.