What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1982: KB Cup Qtr Final Combined-Brisbane vs Parramatta

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks Gary,
I think that is the game I watched on youtube about a week ago and what struck me was that the scrums were a total lottery. In fact I think in that game the scrum was won against the feed (or equivalent penalty awarded) more often than not. That and the neutral zone are the big differences in the game that makes it boring game play now.

One thing I love about the old games that I think is gone is all the short passing to someone in support running off the ball carriers hip or whatever. They were always looking to promote the ball rather than get tackled.

I would almost like to see us go back to that leathery ball they use to play with.
Defences were shit too though, almost always disorganised. There just seemed like so much more opportunity to pass the ball.

Modern administrators trying to take us back to that need to look further than just finding ways to remove defenders at the ruck. There are too many players on the field, which means less space for the attack.

strider

Post Whore
Almost every tap restart after a penalty was a new set move of some sort. Why is that a thing of the past? How good would it be if that came back now.
Cos sterlo got pole axed once and they decided pointless players were no good

T-Boon

Coach
Defences were shit too though, almost always disorganised. There just seemed like so much more opportunity to pass the ball.

Modern administrators trying to take us back to that need to look further than just finding ways to remove defenders at the ruck. There are too many players on the field, which means less space for the attack.

11 aside.
Attack and defense need to be back 5 from the ruck.
That would be interesting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I actually like nines footy. And going back to a five metre rule would reduce wrestling because it wouldn't take as long for defences to get onside, meaning they wouldn't need to slow the ruck as much.

At the moment they wrestle because they need to. The alternative is having a disorganised defence, which is the worst thing ever for a defender - being out of position or offside at the play-the-ball. It's the sort of thing that gets them a bollocking at the next video session. At least if they give away a penalty (or six again now) it's all the ref's fault.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Thanks Gary,
I think that is the game I watched on youtube about a week ago and what struck me was that the scrums were a total lottery. In fact I think in that game the scrum was won against the feed (or equivalent penalty awarded) more often than not. That and the neutral zone are the big differences in the game that makes it boring game play now.

One thing I love about the old games that I think is gone is all the short passing to someone in support running off the ball carriers hip or whatever. They were always looking to promote the ball rather than get tackled.

I would almost like to see us go back to that leathery ball they use to play with.
all eels players back then were all ball players. playing like its a game of touch footy, always looking to promote the ball, even when it wasn't needed
remember setting scrums with only 5 in the scrum, having the lock has a floater in the back-line, or a sneaky blind side move
remember the fans kept screaming, GET EM ONSIDE YER MUG lol

blue bags

First Grade
I thought the same. The teams didn't seem to worry too much about making a mistake, where these days it's a sin. Lot more passing back then, too. This 85 game came up in my youtube feed after watching the KB cup game. The backline destroyed Wests. Plenty of mistakes but excellent attack as well.

very nice video, thanks
eels ball control, shredding the disarrayed defense apart, fantastic ball movement, passing , magpies didn't stand a chance
a lot less general kicking, running , passing was the go

Eelogical

Referee
I watched that this afternoon. Refreshing footy, just like I remembered it. Some interesting observations on my part. They generally tackled lower, the ball itself seemed to bounce a lot higher off a kick in general play and passing was an integral part of the play no matter the position on the field. Oh, and Eric had a great game in this one.

T-Boon

Coach
I watched that this afternoon. Refreshing footy, just like I remembered it. Some interesting observations on my part. They generally tackled lower, the ball itself seemed to bounce a lot higher off a kick in general play and passing was an integral part of the play no matter the position on the field. Oh, and Eric had a great game in this one.

What about Kenny?
He made more line breaks in this game than Wally Lewis made his entire career.

Suitman

Post Whore

I'm watching it now.
Wow, that 1st 7 minutes! What great RL. Both teams throwing the ball around.
Grothe, Kenny, Liddiard, Ella, Price, Cronin, Sterling!
What a team.

I agree with your summation btw. Most players tackled lower. It's how we were taught in those days. "They can't run without legs" was the saying drilled into us, even as juniors.

On another note, Eric Grothe was famous for his chase defence and cover defending, yet, his front on defence in short spaces was brutal at times. YThere's an example of that in the 1st 7 mins of this game, when he throws a player over the sideline.
I'll never forget when he dislocated Ross Conlin's hip in a semi final vs the Bulldogs at the SCG by a front on tackle and then rolling him over. Grothe was a freak.

I have forever regretted the day the Craig Bellamy became a coach and began to exploit the rules. The game hasn't been the same since.
It is robotic now.

Last edited: