What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season restart 2020.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
This Inglis thing is one of the best rorts I’ve seen, Old Rusty must slip quite a few notes to NRL HQ to get away with half of this stuff

hitro

Juniors
Gallen has always been my most hated player, but I have to admit he'd be pretty helpful right now. Hard to know if he's serious though.

Blair

Coach
Gallen has always been my most hated player, but I have to admit he'd be pretty helpful right now. Hard to know if he's serious though.

If I saw that Warriors logo on his left tit I'd soon forget all that Cronulla aggravation. Let's make an offer and find out if he's keen.

His first training sessions might be interesting though. Standards, anyone?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
9 Friday night games and you can bet it won't be the good Friday night timeslot.

Turned off Kayo when the season was suspended. Was unsure about turning it back on, and this has made the decision easier.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Interesting news...sounds like he's a backrower, does that mean Blair will be moving up front?
One more signing before we start would be great

Rich102

Staff member
The New Zealand Warriors have targeted Ben Murdoch-Masila and Matt Eisenhuth as potential loan signings in a bid to overcome a crippling NRL injury crisis.

Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Jazz Tevaga, Jackson Frei and Adam Keighran will be on the sidelines when the season resumes in just over a week, testing the depth of a side already disadvantaged by being stationed far from home.

Their only acquisition to date to offset those losses is Canberra forward Jack Murchie.

While Paul Gallen and Sam Thaiday have expressed some interest in resuming their careers for the Warriors, the trans-Tasman outfit has other targets in mind.

Murdoch-Masila will join the Warriors on a three-year deal from 2021, but has expressed an interest in joining them earlier on a loan deal while the Super League competition remains suspended.

Another player of interest is Wests Tigers forward Eisenhuth, who may struggle to crack Michael Maguire’s starting 17.

The Tigers made history as the first club to engage in a player “loan” arrangement when they secured Storm hooker Harry Grant for the remainder of the year in a temporary trade for centre Paul Momirovski.

The NRL initially knocked back the Warriors' request for loan signings, but the club is hoping head office will revisit the issue.

Murdoch-Masila, contracted to Super League club Warrington until the end of the season, said he was open to the prospect of a loan arrangement.

“I’m still contracted to Warrington at the moment, but if they are willing to put me out on loan or something like that, it could be good for the club and myself,” Murdoch-Masila told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“It will keep me fit so that when they need me and the Super League first starts back up, I’m ready and raring to go and they could have me back.

“I’m not opposed to it if the club grants a loan deal.”NRL.COM
Shaun Johnson backs Paul Gallen for Warriors.
Murdoch-Masila started the Super League season in spectacular fashion, running over the top of Wigan prop George Burgess to score a memorable try.

The 29-year-old praised the Warriors for their commitment to fulfil their contractual obligations and participate in the premiership when it resumes, despite the prospect of being away from their families for an extended period.

“Big hearts for doing that, they are sacrificing time with their family,” he said.

“That was one of the main reasons I signed with them for next year, to be with my family (in New Zealand). For them to do that, a big congratulations to them. I know how hard it would be for them as well because I’ve been away for five seasons now and it has taken its toll.

“I know what they’re feeling and big hearts for doing what they are doing.”
Murdoch-Masila said he was still training hard on his own in a bid to be fully fit whenever he was required to return to the field.

“I look forward to training even though there isn’t any game on the weekends,” he said.

“I’m just trying to keep in that routine just in case the competition springs up and we’re all ready to go. I’m always looking forward to being active.

“You kind of analyse things now that you’re not playing, you look at what you could do in your game.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...urdochmasila-matt-eisenhuth-in-nrl-loan-deals

Blair

Coach
Need all the help we can get.
Refs are pissed at changes and job cuts. We going to feel that!!!!

That 50/50 call, when Paasi (we're desperate for a bit of territory/posession) loses the ball taking it over halfway (we know our props don't touch the ball in our twenty), the ref thinks, 'geez, I've been through the mill lately'. The whistle goes, the arm's out...penalty, Warriors!

Unbelievable, the referees feel real empathy with our boys!

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Looking forward to the next week. Not only are the Warriors playing, but it looks like we'll get one or two players on our books.
Kearney said he's waiting to hear what the outcome is of NRL letting us loan players, before looking at the retired players as options.
Will be interesting to see who else put their hand up to help us, aparently a few more retired Broncos.

Interesting times

Blair

Coach
So we've just been given the green light to borrow players from other teams

In the words of Jacinta Adhern*, Let's do this!

spelling, I know. That's just how I always read, and said, her name. I can't change up to the correct way. She'll understand.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors have been handed a lifeline by the NRL to loan in reinforcements in a bid to shore up their injury-hit side.

The NRL resumes next week, with the Warriors taking on the St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday, but they will do so without several key forwards.

The losses of Leeson Ah Mau and Jazz Tevaga to long-term injuries added to the earlier absence of Bunty Afoa and Jackson Frei to leave the Warriors short on front-rowers, and having to request the NRL provide special dispensation to allow them to sign players on loan.

That request was first denied, but Warriors CEO Cameron George revealed that the league bosses had reversed their decision.

"We were declined about 10 days ago and I went back in to bat for the club. I'm very grateful for the NRL for giving us approval," he told NZME's Lachlan Waugh.

"I think they got a better understanding of the situation we're in. Rather than just looking at the numbers of the squad, actually understanding what each player brings to the table, where they're at with their career and what position they play."

NRL's head of football Graham Annesley said the Warriors were a unique case deserving of an exemption.

"Everyone appreciates the extreme lengths the Warriors have gone to, to try and bring this competition back to life," Annesley said.

George noted that the exemption contains specific guidelines – their loan signings have to be restricted to where their injury problems lie, which is in the middle of the park – and said the club had yet to speak to any potential loanees.

"We haven't talked to any other club about players or anything like that because we needed to understand whether we could get approval. Now that we have, we'll certainly be very proactive in the next 24-48 hours to see who is available and what those terms and conditions look like.

"We can provide a great opportunity to springboard some players into the NRL, I'm sure they'll be very keen to take the opportunity to show their current club, and also the world, what they've got."

The Warriors have already signed Jack Murchie from the Canberra Raiders on a one-year deal, and have locked in two forwards for next year, with Ben Murdoch-Masila signed for 2021, and Cronulla Sharks prop Toby Rudolf reportedly having signed a three-year deal.

However, the Sharks are unlikely to want to release Rudolf early after he made an impressive start to his debut season, while Murdoch-Masila is keen to join, but may not be allowed to by his Warrington Wolves side, with the UK Super League hopeful of an August return.

"I'm still contracted to Warrington at the moment, but if they are willing to put me out on loan, it could be good for the club and myself," Murdoch-Masila told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I'm not opposed to it if the club grants a loan deal."

Wests Tigers prop Matt Eisenhuth and Dragons forward Eddie Blacker have also been linked to the Warriors as loan options, as well as former long-term Warrior Russell Packer.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12334249

JJ

Immortal
Not enthralled with the short term loans mentioned, maybe Eisenhuth? A few weeks of Gallen would be a good thing imo

LeagueNut

First Grade
I don't know how to feel about this. Will these loan players really be giving 100% for the Warriors or just trying to make themselves look good for their "real" club? It throws up all sorts of interesting dynamics. I'm already suspicious of clubs who are happy to let their players go - if they were that good surely they'd want to keep them around for themselves.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I
I don't know how to feel about this. Will these loan players really be giving 100% for the Warriors or just trying to make themselves look good for their "real" club? It throws up all sorts of interesting dynamics. I'm already suspicious of clubs who are happy to let their players go - if they were that good surely they'd want to keep them around for themselves.

I dunno, you can kinda look at it 2 ways I guess. If it were me, and I was a young guy trying to push into a team, or a reserve grader trying to break back into the team I would be busting my gut trying to prove why my team would want me in the main playing group.