What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Cactus

Juniors
NRL aiming to have crowds back in July.

At the risk of restarting the circular argument about the possible rights and wrongs of the media broadcast deal, this development begs the question if it is the reality that 9 forced a lower contract sum due to lack of crowds then does the contract allow for a recoup if crowds return ?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not easy to get an accurate read on this bloke and I think I know why.

He comes across as a weird mix of:
  • Corporate but uncouth
  • Forthright yet bookmaker-esque dodgy
  • Assertively bold and yet unconvincing at times

I'd describe him as Trumpesque.

gerg

Juniors
The ones with season tickets.

I just know Buzz will wring his hands.

We’ve all missed the footy but season ticket holders paid up front. They should get first dibs. And my seven dogs are itching to go.

I guess there would have to be some sort of allocation system for clubs playing at smaller venues. Be awesome if they could pull it off.

Johnny88

Juniors
V’landys defends broadcast deal discounts

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys says broadcast negotiations have been tough. Picture: Nikki Short

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has agreed to discounts for Foxtel and Nine for what remains of their existing deals to help prop up the broadcasters suffering from having no live football to televise during the pandemic.

“If you’re in a partnership with somebody and they are making significant losses out of you, what are you going to do — send them broke?” he said.

V’landys set the scene for historic new agreements with the Nine Network and Foxtel by defending the discount deals.

He has also given fresh hope to the parties interested in setting up a second NRL team in Brisbane by insisting that expansion will be back on the agenda once the game regains some sense of normality.

The NRL is expected to announce fresh terms with the Nine Network and Foxtel in the coming days, after V’landys spent recent weeks locked in tense talks with the rival broadcasters.

It is understood that Nine has agreed to revised terms on its existing deal until the end of 2022, while Foxtel is expected to extend its current agreement, potentially until the end of 2027.

Combined, the two deals are expected to be worth upwards of $1.7bn, despite the discounts that were given to the broadcasters to compensate for the impact of the coronavirus lockdowns.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership, returning Thursday 28th May. Watch every game Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The deals will also mean that the salary cap is likely to remain at $9.9m for each club, and heavy player pay cuts in the future have been ruled out.

At the height of the coronavirus pandemic there were fears that the salary cap could be cut by 40 per cent to just $5.9m next year.

Some have questioned why the NRL would agree to revise the terms of their existing deals with the two broadcasters, given that contracts are already in place until the end of 2022. But V’landys insists that the alternative did not bear thinking about.

One organisation would have been better off ripping up the contract and us suing them,” V’landys said. “How do you make up that revenue?

“What I found in negotiations with these situations is it is easy (for the critics) to sit on the sideline and take shots. When they are in the game, they say ‘I didn’t realise it was that hard’.

I am unhappy with the deal. They are unhappy with the deal. Which basically means it is a good deal for all parties,” he said. “I take pride in where we got to with Channel 9.

“There were times when the broadcast deal seemed too difficult — it seemed insurmountable. It just shows you (what can happen) if you persevere.”

Foxtel is expected to retain the right to broadcast all eight games each week as part of their new agreement, while Nine will continue to televise three games until the end of 2022. The free-to-air rights are up for grabs beyond that.

V’landys remains confident that a contract extension will be struck with Nine. But until that happens, the Seven and Ten networks have the opportunity to step in and grab the rights.

“The broadcast (talks) have probably been the hardest in my eyes,” V’landys said.

“Both organisations are going through the hardest economic conditions. You have two partners that are bleeding. We are bleeding. It is how much of the Band-Aid we share each. It was a tough, tough negotiation.

“We had to get a balance where it was good for the game — but it wasn’t going to send the broadcasters over the gap either.

“Even though it was a tough negotiation, what I liked about it was that it was done in good faith,” V’landys added.

The game was debating the prospect of adding a second NRL team in Brisbane when the COVID-19 pandemic struck. The talk was put on the backburner, but V’landys hasn’t ruled it out , insisting the expansion discussion will resume at some point.

That will be music to the ears of the groups who have already expressed an interest in backing a second Brisbane franchise.

Redcliffe, Brisbane Easts and the Bombers consortium have all gone public with their plans to lobby the NRL for the right to set up another top-flight team in southeast Queensland.

“Once we get to some sense of normality we will look at all those things again,” V’landys said.

“It is going to be hard but if there is a demand there — and who is to say with this opportunity to get the game on first that you don’t pick up all these new fans.

“It (the Brisbane expansion push) hasn’t been taken off the agenda. I still believe if we do things right, the second team in Brisbane has to be thought about at some stage.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b44fbf0c6f8fe0e5d3a1826808a9d534

Styles clash

Juniors

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Players getting paid, sweet.

Which reminds me, I was going to go just live pass, but to show my support for the players I will sign up for Kayo(fox) today, they know my account, they will again be told because the sharks are back.

For the players, I do not actually watch anything else, plus they have nothing else right now.

Saxon

Bench
I am unhappy with the deal. They are unhappy with the deal. Which basically means it is a good deal for all parties,”

No, that's not actually how it works.
if neither side feel they got a fair deal it leads to disgruntlement and a combative relationship - which is good for no-body.

mave

Coach
We already had two years of certainty left.

Not if Nine goes broke and can't pay what they signed up for, and as much as I like the idea of Nine going under, I would prefer they do it after the rights contract.

Not if Nine refuses to pay due to lack of content, etc and we go to court.

There isn't a lot of certainty in those 2 scenarios, which PVL rightly pointed out in the article.

One organisation would have been better off ripping up the contract and us suing them,” V’landys said. “How do you make up that revenue?

If you’re in a partnership with somebody and they are making significant losses out of you, what are you going to do — send thembroke?” he said.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not if Nine goes broke and can't pay what they signed up for, and as much as I like the idea of Nine going under, I would prefer they do it after the rights contract.

Not if Nine refuses to pay due to lack of content, etc and we go to court.

There isn't a lot of certainty in those 2 scenarios, which PVL rightly pointed out in the article.

If you’re in a partnership with somebody and they are making significant losses out of you, what are you going to do — send thembroke?” he said.

Nine wouldnt go broke, sht if they are reliant on $20-30mill a year to keep them afloat they are in big trouble anyway!
As for court, could happen I suppose but if they are as skint as they claim, are they in a position to fight a court case over a contract that is mid term?
Seems to me both TV partners have reneged on the deal and got what they wanted whilst we seemingly have got nothing other than less revenue?
When Vlandys says they arent happy, not happy about what?lol. Seems they've just saved themselves a shed load of money with no downside.

Latest posts