What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

Someguy

First Grade
So the guy stays in Canberra gets 2 FTA games a year and no channel 9 love or third party sponsors. Or he goes to Sydney club and is in the media constantly getting all the perks that come with it.

if he stays in Canberra he will be seen as an above average Pom. If he goes to Sydney every chance he gets pumped up as an out an out superstar.

AJB1102

First Grade
When he arrived and found out Furner had paid him peanuts compared to others

Who's salary is making $600k look like peanuts and how much is it? Hodgson and Papalii would be on more but surely not too much more. Wighton didn't get the big bucks till recently so that couldn't have been a gripe when JB arrived.

nick87

Coach
zeoob-com-061kffa2h6-photo.png
Really harsh stuff there by JB.
I've always liked Tommy. Unlike most roosters he's honest

WgS3IKx.png

BadnMean

Juniors
How many job offers have you knocked back offering you 100k+ more?

But the 100k more becomes 50k more after tax & Moses get their peice & then you have to move inte
Who's salary is making $600k look like peanuts and how much is it? Hodgson and Papalii would be on more but surely not too much more. Wighton didn't get the big bucks till recently so that couldn't have been a gripe when JB arrived.

Bateman ARRIVED on considerably less than 600k. he was upgraded significantly DURING his first year when he was killing it. It was the Poms he compared himself to. No matter what they are on now but imagine you have come over for a nice earner in the 200/250k range but your mate was on near double just when he arrived & then upgraded to more...

Source is about as high in the Raiders as you can get and I spoke to him about it directly.

BadnMean

Juniors
Its not really peanuts is it though? 600k for a 25yr old ESL forward thats unproven in the NRL seems pretty good. Yes he was an international but its not like he had NRL clubs banging down his door. We had to pay out a 450k transfer fee as well. Sure hes worth more now. But the current contract was pretty fair given the risk the club was taking.

I don't really care if its a Moses play. Bateman could tell him to pull it in with the media leaks and timing at any point. He's free to pursue more money but hes done it in a way where he has put himself above the team. We went through the same shit with Carney and Dugan and look how that turned out. I don't mind losing blokes like that, no matter how talented.

Comprehension mate. He ARRIVED on peanuts & has been upgraded & topped up since then. 600k is the latest offer- TWO steps AFTER what he arrived on & then upgraded to.

1. arrival peanuts
2. top up whatever Raiders could scrape up 2019 & for 2020 (say 100-125k over both)
3. 600k 4 year offer starting 2021

Transfer was 200k wasn't it.

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
think he would have some major regrets when he finds out his role is just do 4th tackle hitups and make 40 tackles a game

I just don't see JB following any gameplan like that. He'll rip in wherever he goes & I'll enjoy watching him at my club or yours or wherever else. He's a goer. He MIGHT end up worth 800k plus but after just one good year... That's not smart when you already have a GF squad + a better halfback. Maybe worth the punt for other teams.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Comprehension mate. He ARRIVED on peanuts & has been upgraded & topped up since then. 600k is the latest offer- TWO steps AFTER what he arrived on & then upgraded to.

1. arrival peanuts
2. top up whatever Raiders could scrape up 2019 & for 2020 (say 100-125k over both)
3. 600k 4 year offer starting 2021

Transfer was 200k wasn't it.
Don't pull the comprehension card when you've only just added some apparent insider info lol

Every article has said he's on 580-600k progressively through the contract. There has been zero about any upgrades since he joined the club.

The transfer fee was £200,000 which was around 400k at the time.

gerg

Juniors
So the guy stays in Canberra gets 2 FTA games a year and no channel 9 love or third party sponsors. Or he goes to Sydney club and is in the media constantly getting all the perks that come with it.

if he stays in Canberra he will be seen as an above average Pom. If he goes to Sydney every chance he gets pumped up as an out an out superstar.

He'll be a hit in the media until they realise he's as difficult to understand as Brad Pitt in Snatch.

AJB1102

First Grade
Bateman ARRIVED on considerably less than 600k. he was upgraded significantly DURING his first year when he was killing it. It was the Poms he compared himself to. No matter what they are on now but imagine you have come over for a nice earner in the 200/250k range but your mate was on near double just when he arrived & then upgraded to more...

Source is about as high in the Raiders as you can get and I spoke to him about it directly.

Ahh ok I didn't realise he'd been upgraded once already.

A $300-350k upgrade before your first season is complete was pretty good of the Raiders. Now he wants another $200k? Crikey! I get he wants his pay to reflect his play but if he goes average I'll bet he's not as open to renegotiations.

I can't imagine this style gets a lotta love from Sticky, or many (any) coaches. Add in that Moses is his agent and the bloke must be approaching the 'more hassles than he's worth' territory, even if he is really bloody good.

typicalfan

Coach

And when he wants another contract upgrade on Grand Final week he won't have the game to distract him.

shear_joy9

Coach

I find it very hard to believe even the funny farm raiders management would have upgraded Bateman's contract months into his first season of a 3 year deal after paying a $450k transfer fee for him

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I am waiting for the headline that John Bateman is the first 1 million a season backrower in the NRL

*assuming SBW wasn't on that much

Latest posts