What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Starkers

Bench
Good question.

I wonder if the new Fox deal has provision for an 18th club if both parries agree mid-deal.. without that, I'm guessing the NRL will just add a 2nd Brisbane club to appease a FTA partner.. but keeping the competition at 17 clubs so there's no change to the 8 games per weekend schedule.

I think it would be built into Ch9's deal. Not so much Foxtel.

taipan

Referee
I'm bleeding confused ,earlier on reckoned the Tv deal is worth $1.594bn til end 2027 based on all the reports in the media.Now I read it's close to $1..9bn til end of 2027 with FTA to be negotiated from 2023.
I give up.

FTA would benefit much more from a 2nd Brisbane side.How many more Pay subscribers would Foxtel get, because those in heartland areas would just about max their subscriptions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has Marvel been independently valued? Or is it just an assumed value based on what the AFL says?

I'm curious because we've just built a 300m stadium in Western Sydney, and about to build a 800m stadium in Central Sydney, both of which are vastly more modern and no one is talking about their value.

All anyone is talking about is the repay timeframe, which in the case of BankWest appears to be 30 years.

That's for a stadium with similar year round tenancy and multi function e.g. music concerts.

$1b seems a stretch for Marvel to me.

value is in the land, looking at the performance of marvel it has rarely made an operating profit. Dock lands is now a valuable piece of real estate

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm bleeding confused ,earlier on reckoned the Tv deal is worth $1.594bn til end 2027 based on all the reports in the media.Now I read it's close to $1..9bn til end of 2027 with FTA to be negotiated from 2023.
I give up.

FTA would benefit much more from a 2nd Brisbane side.How many more Pay subscribers would Foxtel get, because those in heartland areas would just about max their subscriptions.

value is in the extra content of a ninth game. RL fans in brisbane are already watching nrl on tv, regardless of how many clubs are based there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I give up.

all we know is Ch9 is paying $157.5mill ( inc unknown amount of contra) a year for 21&22. Everything else is guesswork.

T-Boon

Coach
value is in the extra content of a ninth game. RL fans in brisbane are already watching nrl on tv, regardless of how many clubs are based there.

Games involving Brisbane rate way higher in Brisbane than any other NRL game so a second Brisbane team is going to be good rating wise. And much better than the ratings in Melbourne for Storm games or by extension Perth if a Perth team was allowed in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Games involving Brisbane rate way higher in Brisbane than any other NRL game so a second Brisbane team is going to be good rating wise. And much better than the ratings in Melbourne for Storm games or by extension Perth if a Perth team was allowed in.

there’s already a Brisbane team on fta nearly every week. How much do you think the three or four times broncos aren’t on fta a year are worth?
What’s the tv audience difference in Brisbane for a broncos game and a non broncos game?

Perth Red

Post Whore
the land is worth $1bill ?

obviously the stadium is worth something, but the real value is the land in what is now prime city centre location. Of course there ar two valuations, a notional value and an actual sale value. Given afl are not selling marvel anytime soon the $1billion is a notional value.
Afl already have plans for development of the land around marvel. Mind you it helps when the state govt gives you $225mill to develop your own property lol.

colly

Juniors
Less money but no losers: Why a stripped-back NRL TV deal left everyone happy

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/le...deal-left-everyone-happy-20200529-p54xtd.html

Now we can all get some sleep...

New story about negotiations and Greenturds demise- And it wasn't News Ltd / Foxtel that wielded the knife.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...-lid-on-nrl-negotiations-20200529-p54xu1.html

AFL might have to take a 25% discount on their 2.5 billion deal. That works out to be over 500 million discount. Story below.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/se...t-but-new-contract-nears-20200529-p54xjy.html

Starkers

Bench
obviously the stadium is worth something, but the real value is the land in what is now prime city centre location. Of course there ar two valuations, a notional value and an actual sale value. Given afl are not selling marvel anytime soon the $1billion is a notional value.
Afl already have plans for development of the land around marvel. Mind you it helps when the state govt gives you $225mill to develop your own property lol.
I'm not trying to derail, but on what basis is the land worth $1b? On the basis that the AFL could sell it to a developer who would build apartments in an already saturated market? Or a commercial building to rival Rialto or 101 Collins? No chance.

And then where do they build another stadium? Nowhere, because there's no further room. The valuation is a nonsense. Again it's the AFL telling the press what to write. If it was worth $1b then they would have received a line of credit up to $1b. Not $250m. I would say that's closer to e real valuation.

colly

Juniors
New story about negotiations and Greenturds demise- And it wasn't News Ltd / Foxtel that wielded the knife.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...-lid-on-nrl-negotiations-20200529-p54xu1.html

AFL might have to take a 25% discount on their 2.5 billion deal. That works out to be over 500 million discount. Story below.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/se...t-but-new-contract-nears-20200529-p54xjy.html

'There was this superior attitude': Nine boss lifts lid on NRL negotiations
By Michael Chammas

May 30, 2020
  • Send via Email
After two months of tense negotiations with the NRL, Nine chief executive Hugh Marks sat down with the Herald to discuss the new broadcast deal.

Cricket and rugby league. They've been part of Channel Nine’s fabric for decades. But in the space of two years, the free-to-air network almost lost both of them.

"We didn’t lose cricket," Marks interrupts during an interview inside his Willoughby office a day after announcing a revised broadcast deal until the end of 2022. “But it’s a great example of where we were at with rugby league.”

c14fd2c032e92755048704394f6846a09517c8f8

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks.Credit:Louise Kennerley

“When we were going through those discussions with cricket management (in 2018), I didn’t see a shared vision for the game. Part of our issue with cricket was the extension in the number of games in the Big Bash and the way the Big Bash was taking absolute priority over international cricket. That was actually a big part of why we walked away at the time. With rugby league it was the same thing."

Marks stands by claims he would have walked away from rugby league had Nine's vision not aligned with the NRL's. He also stands by the fact he would have battled it out in a courtroom if it had come to it.

"There was this mentality that the NRL was superior," he said of the Todd Greenberg era.

"We don’t buy the NRL, we buy a competition of 16 clubs, State of Origin and grand final. OK, the NRL is the organisation that we deal with, but the competition that you’re buying is the players and the clubs - that’s what you’re buying.

"There was this superior attitude from the NRL towards the clubs, towards us, the broadcasters. Out of this crisis, all of that has been put behind us and everyone is recognising what is actually important."

There's no doubt the bottom line was of greatest importance to the free-to-air network, but it wasn't just a reduced rate Nine wanted before re-linking its future with the sport.

"Why do people watch rugby league?" Marks asks after securing an estimated $70 million in savings over the next three years.

"Because they want to watch Parra play the Bulldogs. That tribalism of the game is its actual strength. And how do you enhance tribalism? You enhance it by empowering the clubs to do more. If money is going into things like administration, or the bunker, or integrity units, or multiple referees or a digital platform - money isn't going to clubs.

b255afe9f4b1d59cbb91ef066f96fc44aef57ac7

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson takes on the Bulldogs defence in round one.Credit:AAP

"You wanted to feel like the rugby league management were committed to the sorts of things that we feel warrant us investing in the game for the long term. Even the simple things, like if the match-day experience is fantastic, more fans will go to the game and more people will watch it on television."

THE ATTACK ON TODD GREENBERG
On April 9, just over two weeks after the NRL brought the competition to a halt as a result of COVID-19, Nine sent out a statement that ultimately fast-tracked Greenberg's exit from Rugby League Central.

"I can tell you, I was walking back from my daughter’s and all of a sudden there’s a season announcement and we hadn’t been briefed," Marks said.

"It’s like ‘what is going on here?’. The world is being turned upside down on its head and all of that is being ignored. Why? I don’t know. Everyone just needs to stop and take measure and work out what are we trying to do for the long term because if we just stick our heads in the sand for the next two years, the crisis that was coming then, will come still."

a43fbe7522cad896db1c4025ad6fa39c05039205

Former NRL boss Todd Greenberg.Credit:Getty

Greenberg told those closest to him that Nine's statement, attacking a "bloated head office" for "years of mismanagement", was designed to sideline him from negotiations, because he stood between the free-to-air network and the deal it desired.

Marks is sceptical a deal would have been done at all if the former chief executive was still running the show.

"Look, he was very pleasant to us and would argue he treated us with respect, but from our perspective it was more adversarial and they didn’t listen," Marks said.

"I just felt it was going to be much more difficult to be able to get to an outcome quickly, and the actions that Peter [V'landys] took parting ways with Todd enabled us to get to those outcomes more quickly."

DOES NINE HAVE A LONG-TERM FUTURE WITH THE NRL?
In a series of meetings, ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys managed to provide a blueprint Nine was willing to invest in. It included a major reduction of costs at head office, a guarantee the clubs would be empowered to grow their own brands and a willingness to change an on-field product that had become stale in the eyes of many.

"I think it’s the best television sport, by far, if it is conducted in the right way," Marks said.

bad43eef70e7d7d528a91638396749c0211d38ac

Thursday night's clash between the Eels and Broncos in Brisbane was a ratings smash.Credit:Getty

"If the clubs are strong and viable and the rules are encouraged for play that is going to attract that casual viewer, which is the audience we target, then it really is the best television sport.

Related Article

NRL 2020
NRL keeps Origin, grand final exclusivity up sleeve for next TV deal
"Peter just laid out the plan. Once you see people have a plan and he is taking account of all the issues that we thought needed to be taken account of, we got a lot of comfort from that."

Foxtel has extended its partnership until the end of 2027, but Nine is in no such rush.

"You have got remember we are still in a crisis," Marks said.

"I don’t know what the free-to-air business looks like in six months' time let alone two-and-a-half years' time. I think its just wise at this point to pause and work out what the business is like post-COVID.

"To do a long-term extension now, I just don’t think anybody has the information to be able to work out on what basis you’re going to make that decision."

colly

Juniors
'There was this superior attitude': Nine boss lifts lid on NRL negotiations
By Michael Chammas

May 30, 2020
  • Send via Email
After two months of tense negotiations with the NRL, Nine chief executive Hugh Marks sat down with the Herald to discuss the new broadcast deal.

Cricket and rugby league. They've been part of Channel Nine’s fabric for decades. But in the space of two years, the free-to-air network almost lost both of them.

"We didn’t lose cricket," Marks interrupts during an interview inside his Willoughby office a day after announcing a revised broadcast deal until the end of 2022. “But it’s a great example of where we were at with rugby league.”

c14fd2c032e92755048704394f6846a09517c8f8

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks.Credit:Louise Kennerley

“When we were going through those discussions with cricket management (in 2018), I didn’t see a shared vision for the game. Part of our issue with cricket was the extension in the number of games in the Big Bash and the way the Big Bash was taking absolute priority over international cricket. That was actually a big part of why we walked away at the time. With rugby league it was the same thing."

Marks stands by claims he would have walked away from rugby league had Nine's vision not aligned with the NRL's. He also stands by the fact he would have battled it out in a courtroom if it had come to it.

"There was this mentality that the NRL was superior," he said of the Todd Greenberg era.

"We don’t buy the NRL, we buy a competition of 16 clubs, State of Origin and grand final. OK, the NRL is the organisation that we deal with, but the competition that you’re buying is the players and the clubs - that’s what you’re buying.

"There was this superior attitude from the NRL towards the clubs, towards us, the broadcasters. Out of this crisis, all of that has been put behind us and everyone is recognising what is actually important."

There's no doubt the bottom line was of greatest importance to the free-to-air network, but it wasn't just a reduced rate Nine wanted before re-linking its future with the sport.

"Why do people watch rugby league?" Marks asks after securing an estimated $70 million in savings over the next three years.

"Because they want to watch Parra play the Bulldogs. That tribalism of the game is its actual strength. And how do you enhance tribalism? You enhance it by empowering the clubs to do more. If money is going into things like administration, or the bunker, or integrity units, or multiple referees or a digital platform - money isn't going to clubs.

b255afe9f4b1d59cbb91ef066f96fc44aef57ac7

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson takes on the Bulldogs defence in round one.Credit:AAP

"You wanted to feel like the rugby league management were committed to the sorts of things that we feel warrant us investing in the game for the long term. Even the simple things, like if the match-day experience is fantastic, more fans will go to the game and more people will watch it on television."

THE ATTACK ON TODD GREENBERG
On April 9, just over two weeks after the NRL brought the competition to a halt as a result of COVID-19, Nine sent out a statement that ultimately fast-tracked Greenberg's exit from Rugby League Central.

"I can tell you, I was walking back from my daughter’s and all of a sudden there’s a season announcement and we hadn’t been briefed," Marks said.

"It’s like ‘what is going on here?’. The world is being turned upside down on its head and all of that is being ignored. Why? I don’t know. Everyone just needs to stop and take measure and work out what are we trying to do for the long term because if we just stick our heads in the sand for the next two years, the crisis that was coming then, will come still."

a43fbe7522cad896db1c4025ad6fa39c05039205

Former NRL boss Todd Greenberg.Credit:Getty

Greenberg told those closest to him that Nine's statement, attacking a "bloated head office" for "years of mismanagement", was designed to sideline him from negotiations, because he stood between the free-to-air network and the deal it desired.

Marks is sceptical a deal would have been done at all if the former chief executive was still running the show.

"Look, he was very pleasant to us and would argue he treated us with respect, but from our perspective it was more adversarial and they didn’t listen," Marks said.

"I just felt it was going to be much more difficult to be able to get to an outcome quickly, and the actions that Peter [V'landys] took parting ways with Todd enabled us to get to those outcomes more quickly."

DOES NINE HAVE A LONG-TERM FUTURE WITH THE NRL?
In a series of meetings, ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys managed to provide a blueprint Nine was willing to invest in. It included a major reduction of costs at head office, a guarantee the clubs would be empowered to grow their own brands and a willingness to change an on-field product that had become stale in the eyes of many.

"I think it’s the best television sport, by far, if it is conducted in the right way," Marks said.

bad43eef70e7d7d528a91638396749c0211d38ac

Thursday night's clash between the Eels and Broncos in Brisbane was a ratings smash.Credit:Getty

"If the clubs are strong and viable and the rules are encouraged for play that is going to attract that casual viewer, which is the audience we target, then it really is the best television sport.

Related Article

NRL 2020
NRL keeps Origin, grand final exclusivity up sleeve for next TV deal
"Peter just laid out the plan. Once you see people have a plan and he is taking account of all the issues that we thought needed to be taken account of, we got a lot of comfort from that."

Foxtel has extended its partnership until the end of 2027, but Nine is in no such rush.

"You have got remember we are still in a crisis," Marks said.

"I don’t know what the free-to-air business looks like in six months' time let alone two-and-a-half years' time. I think its just wise at this point to pause and work out what the business is like post-COVID.

"To do a long-term extension now, I just don’t think anybody has the information to be able to work out on what basis you’re going to make that decision."
The age AFL 25 % discount--- Vlandy 15% plus (assumed 64 m) Looking better and better.

The financial impact of COVID-19 continues to be felt by the AFL, with host broadcasters the Seven Network and Fox Sports withholding payment on their second instalment of the season.

Seven and the pay television provider were due to deliver their second of four payments of the year by May 31 but the absence of matches has meant this will not go ahead. However, sources close to all parties said the payment could be made up in full - or in part - as part of a new broadcast rights contract, which may be signed as early as next week.

Seven and Foxtel had made their initial payments, despite this including only the Bushfire Appeal game and round one of the home-and-away season.

The AFL earns an average of $417 million a year in TV rights as part of its six-year, $2.5 billion deal, with Seven, Foxtel and Telstra, which underpins the entire competition.

Seven, Foxtel and the AFL did not wish to comment.

Related Article
Analysis
AFL 2020

Why there are doubts over an 18-team AFL competition
The withholding of the latest payment suggests the AFL is going to take at least a 25 per cent hit in the coronavirus-impacted season, highlighted by clubs recently taking a 37 per cent cut in football-department spend compared to the pre-COVID-19 cap.

It also comes at a time when the broadcasters are still renegotiating a revised contract, taking into the account the lost income of this year. As revealed by The Age's Caroline Wilson, the plan is to extend the current contract by two years until 2024, and spread out the financial pain as a result of a weakened economy over this time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks for posting

f**k off your buying the product which is the games being played. When I buy my car I don’t tell bMw how they should run their business, who they should employ or how they should spend their revenue. I’m not buying the designers, the guys in the factory that make the car or the salesmen who sell me it, I’m buying the product. This over inflated opinion of the role Ch9 and fox have in the game is at the heart of what is wrong with the administration of our great game.

and there you have it from the horses mouth. Another nrl ceo sacked at the behest of media because he wouldn’t give them the deal they wanted. Greenberg wanted to hold them to the contract, Vlandys gifted them $119mill. No wonder the media love him!

a guarantee the clubs would be empowered to grow their own brands

wtf this does even mean?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The age AFL 25 % discount--- Vlandy 15% plus (assumed 64 m) Looking better and better.

We have no idea what the nrl fox deal is, the fact The value it isnt being talked about should be great cause for concern.

the Ch9 reduction Is 21.4% (if $64mill accurate)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not trying to derail, but on what basis is the land worth $1b? On the basis that the AFL could sell it to a developer who would build apartments in an already saturated market? Or a commercial building to rival Rialto or 101 Collins? No chance.

And then where do they build another stadium? Nowhere, because there's no further room. The valuation is a nonsense. Again it's the AFL telling the press what to write. If it was worth $1b then they would have received a line of credit up to $1b. Not $250m. I would say that's closer to e real valuation.

prime real estate in that area is what a sqm? They got $650mill line of credit lol.
Like I said it’s a notional value as it isn’t for sale, and isnt going to be. The benefits to afl are not in its valuation (unless you want to borrow money lol) but in The revenue it can generate and the better deal they can offer to their clubs who use it.
Not to mention the brand positioning of the sport. You can walk through Sydney from China town to circular quay and have no idea nrl is the main sport played there. To have a major public facing venue in a popular area and, especially with a partner like Marvel, is marketing gold. Imagine an nrl owned stadium in darling harbour sponsored by DC and what it would do for the profile of the sport.

colly

Juniors
S
We have no idea what the nrl fox deal is, the fact The value it isnt being talked about should be great cause for concern.

the Ch9 reduction Is 21.4% (if $64mill accurate)
So the AFL, 2.5 billion deal is half way through ie 3 years, so one billion and a quarter or (1250 m) to be paid. If 25% discount is applied would mean a saving to Seven and Foxtel of 312 million dollars over the rest of the contract.. That's a lot of mullah their.