What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
S

So the AFL, 2.5 billion deal is half way through ie 3 years, so one billion and a quarter or (1250 m) to be paid. If 25% discount is applied would mean a saving to Seven and Foxtel of 312 million dollars over the rest of the contract.. That's a lot of mullah their.

at the moment that’s all speculation in same way we saw all sorts of figures banded about for nrl last couple of weeks.

I wonder what the fox deal has cost us, both over the existing three years plus what we have accepted for the extension that we may have got more for if sports streaming services have really taken off by 2023 onwards?

what’s it say? Behind paywall
Let me guess, we should all be happy Vlandys has signed away $119milllion of nrl money to Ch9?
Do you get hit in the head a lot .
It might explain how you continually ignore facts .
You carry on like nothing has changed in the world.
You carry on like PVL just walked into Ch 9 & renegotiated a deal for less for no reason .

I've asked you before to answer a few questions .
You avoided it
So once again .
If this went to court would we be playing now.?
I say no & that means no income coming into an organisation that didn't have a lot stashed away for if shit happened .
So if we went to court ..how were we going to pay for a lengthy court battle & the obvious appeal?
That possibly would drag on for months & months
You can't seem to get your head around the fact things have changed with a pandemic .
You rant on & on like everything's rosy .
It's not .
Companies are going broke
Peopel out of work
Sports closed down around the world
Less $$$ available for sponsorship Etc .
Yet you ignore & go on the PVL gave Ch9 this much money .
He didn't
He renegotiated a deal( due to the pandemic) to avoid court & to try to secure the next few years .

I could explain this to a 5 year old
They would understand .
You can't seem to grasp the situation .

T-Boon

Coach
Its different times...but its simple, if Fox honours their current contract with AFL then Vlandys is the worst sports administrator in the history of mankind and belongs in prison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you get hit in the head a lot .
It might explain how you continually ignore facts .
You carry on like nothing has changed in the world.
You carry on like PVL just walked into Ch 9 & renegotiated a deal for less for no reason .

I've asked you before to answer a few questions .
You avoided it
So once again .
If this went to court would we be playing now.?
I say no & that means no income coming into an organisation that didn't have a lot stashed away for if shit happened .
So if we went to court ..how were we going to pay for a lengthy court battle & the obvious appeal?
That possibly would drag on for months & months
You can't seem to get your head around the fact things have changed with a pandemic .
You rant on & on like everything's rosy .
It's not .
Companies are going broke
Peopel out of work
Sports closed down around the world
Less $$$ available for sponsorship Etc .
Yet you ignore & go on the PVL gave Ch9 this much money .
He didn't
He renegotiated a deal( due to the pandemic) to avoid court & to try to secure the next few years .

I could explain this to a 5 year old
They would understand .
You can't seem to grasp the situation .

that’s a long rant lol.
To your first point, yes there is no reason if nine tried to negate the contract and it endeD up in court why the season couldn’t continue. No doubt fox would be happy to show all games and I’d suggest it would be very likely tha a court would rule in nrl’s favour with an interim order for nine to show games whilst the contract is sorted out. But it’s a hypothetical,so nothing but opinion from us both so a bit of a pointless question really.

yes the worlds gone to sht, yes the contract should be negotiated this year due to disruption in delivery, no nrl shouldn’t feel any responsibility for the rise or fall of nine or fox’s profit margins over the next 7 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It different times...but its simple, if Fox honours their current contract with AFL then Vlandys is the worst sports administrator in the history of mankind and belongs in prison.

where's the media questioning why the nrl is refusing to let fans know how much theyve just lost the game?

Lol so in your fantasy world the court would rule in the NRLs favour .
You have NFI how the court would rule
As you have NFI what was in the contract.
So you're talking shit again .
So how does the NRL fund the court case .
& the inevitable appeal .

The only thing we can judge the NRLs deal on is up against the AFls
As it's te only competitor in the same ballpark.

& isnt it amazing that there's not a peep out of you about your beloved AFLOL renogiating a contract .with reports saying they are going to take a hit on the rights

Where's the outrage at GIl the dill "GIVING CH7" money.

I suspect you like most brainwashed afl fans won't say a word against the beloved leader .

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I'm not trying to derail, but on what basis is the land worth $1b? On the basis that the AFL could sell it to a developer who would build apartments in an already saturated market? Or a commercial building to rival Rialto or 101 Collins? No chance.

And then where do they build another stadium? Nowhere, because there's no further room. The valuation is a nonsense. Again it's the AFL telling the press what to write. If it was worth $1b then they would have received a line of credit up to $1b. Not $250m. I would say that's closer to e real valuation.

Prime location.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...deal-left-everyone-happy-20200529-p54xtd.html

Less money but no losers: Why a stripped-back NRL TV deal left everyone happy

Roy Masters
May 30, 2020 — 12.01am

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has hailed the revised TV agreement between the NRL and its broadcasters as “a very good deal, under the circumstances”.

For him, the word “circumstances” does not refer to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on sport but a longer-term sickness – the unsustainable cost of sports broadcasting rights in a world where free-to-air and pay-TV are under huge pressure from streaming behemoths such as Netflix and Amazon.

“I believe sports TV rights are coming down worldwide,” he says.

V’landys' definition of a “good deal” is one for which broadcasters paid more than he had expected, even before COVID-19 shut down sport for more than two months.

However, the ARLC chief will not specify what Channel Nine, the publisher of this masthead, and Foxtel are paying in the revised agreement, citing “commercial-in-confidence”.

Nor will he compare the new deal with the 2018-22 deal, under which both broadcasters paid $1.8 billion, together with Telstra’s $20m.

He rejects as “wrong” the reported figure of $1.7bn for a revised eight-year 2020-27 contract, and said Foxtel had been awarded a five-year renewal for an undisclosed amount.

This long-term renewal, together with Foxtel securing the rights to HBO movies, means Rupert Murdoch’s pay-TV network has an assured future, particularly if it also secures AFL.

Nine has also done well, paying a considerably reduced fee for 2020-22. Chief executive Hugh Marks has extracted discounts of $27.5m for both 2021 and 2022, with an even greater unknown deduction for this year’s shortened season.

When the NRL season was abandoned after two rounds in March, Marks notified the stock exchange of a $130m saving by not telecasting NRL.

Nine's broadcast of Thursday night’s Broncos-versus-Eels match, the first of the resumed NRL season, together with Foxtel’s simulcast, yielded the league's highest ratings since 2014.

Nine appears to be the biggest winner. The network has won a significant discount on its 2020 payment, without committing to future years, as Foxtel has done.

When Channel Seven wrote down its cricket deal by $52m, citing it as an onerous contract, the shareholders bore the pain.

Nine has managed to convince V’landys that rugby league should bear the pain of its onerous contract, one which then chief executive David Gyngell secured in order to gain leverage over Fox Sports.

V’landys points out the alternative would have been Nine walking away from the contract, followed by protracted court action and, inevitably, a lesser settlement.

Nevertheless, Marks, having saved his shareholders a motza, can view the sporting landscape over the next couple of years and determine whether the game generates ratings and, therefore, entices advertisers.

V’landys “is very confident Nine will extend”, probably hoping this is before the AFL finalises a renewal with Channel Seven, which would take the Kerry Stokes network out of the NRL bidding.

V’landys has locked away digital rights, meaning the game has control of what analysts see in the future – packaged highlights of games delivered to Millennials and Generation Z on smartphones.

But where will the immediate cuts in expenditure be, given Nine and Foxtel are paying less in 2020-22?

“The NRL clubs will get substantially more than they were under the last deal,” V’landys says. “The players have already agreed to a 20 per cent cut and we might look at the 2022 salary cap but there will be nothing drastic.”

So that leaves Rugby League Central, operating as has been relentlessly repeated, on “half-a-million dollars a day”?

“Yes,” V’landys says, “there will be cost cuts in the administration of the game, absolutely.”

With Nine threatening to walk away, even though State of Origin and the NRL grand final guarantee it four of the top spots on TV annually, and Fox desperate for a long-term deal, V’landys probably had no option.

Securing a long-term deal with one broadcast partner buys time for a future FTA deal.

“I think we did very well,” V'landys says, pointing out Foxtel told the A-League clubs they face a 70 per cent cut on the $57.6m they were to receive for each of the next three years.

“What was the alternative?”

True. But with V’landys citing “commercial-in-confidence”, while every billion-dollar deal of the NRL and AFL in the past has been headlined to the decimal point, we might have to wait until 2027 to see the devil in the detail.

Johnny88

Juniors
It different times...but its simple, if Fox honours their current contract with AFL then Vlandys is the worst sports administrator in the history of mankind and belongs in prison.
Fox and 7 are due to pay the AFL tomorrow with the next instalment that won't be happening. No crowds, shorter quarters , less games. Both broadcasters are looking at 25% to 30% discount.
The AFL have been trying to get 7 to sign a 2 year extension since last year at the same rate. Interesting that News Corp only looking for a 2 year extension with AFL not 5 years like the NRL.

T to the T

Juniors
I know some like to compare the NRL unfavourably to the AFL and the haircut taken with NRL TV rights so far, but it isn't rosey for the AFL, even talks of contraction:

Why there are doubts over an 18-team AFL competition

AFL chairman Richard Goyder's insistence in March that the competition would emerge from the COVID-19 emergency with 18 clubs intact - a stand reinforced by Gillon McLachlan on Friday - remains open to serious scrutiny.

The Bulldogs' Peter Gordon earlier this week joined Hawthorn's Jeff Kennett as the second corona cabinet club president to cast doubt on the survival of every club and even cautioned that the weaker teams needed to be more accountable.

This enraged key sections of the competition, notably some of the AFL's poorer clubs, which privately insisted they have never been more beholden to head office as their multimillion-dollar debts continued to swell.

Some middle-order clubs pointed out that the Bulldogs president's Herald Sun interview demonstrated his short memory given his club's not-so-distant history. They added that the Bulldogs, like most clubs, would probably require financial help from the AFL at some point given the dire financial circumstances facing the game.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane did not disguise his contempt for the Gordon view on Nine this week. Drawing on his rich history as a marketing man, Cochrane pointed out that the ninth AFL game of every home-and-away round was worth an additional $50 million to the broadcast rights agreement.

Not only was that an outrageously generous assessment in the context of pre-coronavirus but also wildly out of the ballpark in the view of the AFL's media partners.

Those broadcasters say the incremental value of the ninth game is not worth much at all once the AFL deals with the main attractions on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This is also bearing in mind that Seven offloaded its previous commitment to Saturday afternoon football in the last media agreement and that game was then offloaded to Fox Footy when the only other prospective buyer, Ten, baulked at the asking price.

Even before the broadcast rights were deflated - and the AFL is expected to reach a new deal by next week - the $418 million annual figure divided by nine did not come to $50 million even on the crazy assumption that Gold Coast versus West Coast could be valued competitively against Collingwood-Richmond on any given weekend.

So the only stakeholders inflating the value of the ninth game are the AFL's vulnerable clubs, which have become even more vulnerable given the added debt they are about to incur.

Never have they been so powerless and although the terms of the new receivership model dictates no deadline for debt repayment, there is more than one commissioner sitting on the so-called COVID-19 cabinet prioritising debt eradication ahead of all else.

McLachlan is a populist and Goyder even more so. You would expect them to resist at any cost becoming the boss who saw a club die or merge on their watch. They have prioritised the survival of clubs over industry jobs.

But given that two powerful club presidents emerging from the inner sanctum are prepared to publicly entertain the prospect, it underlines the mutterings across the competition that are becoming louder.

There are two lines of thought, with one targeting the expansion clubs that created the ninth game and still cost the competition close to $70 million a year. The second focuses upon Victoria and the increasingly vulnerable North Melbourne, the debt-ridden Saints and even Melbourne.

Once the AFL settles on a new radically reduced football department budget figure for every club beyond this emergency phase - and a soft cap albeit with new tough conditions is expected to prevail - the expectation is that the wealthier clubs will see their league distribution heavily reduced in a new financial structure.

Clubs like West Coast, Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood will not be thrilled at the prospect of effectively being taxed and by extension watching their organisations reduced to support the survival of unsuccessful clubs.

If Gordon's comments this week exposed cracks in the apparently collegiate and unified response from all 18 clubs to the game's national state of emergency, then the likelihood of a new "Robin Hood" tax does not bode well for the power clubs' attitude towards the supposed basket cases.

Particularly when you consider the value - or not - of the worst game in the weekly fixture.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol so in your fantasy world the court would rule in the NRLs favour .
You have NFI how the court would rule
As you have NFI what was in the contract.
So you're talking shit again .
So how does the NRL fund the court case .
& the inevitable appeal .

The only thing we can judge the NRLs deal on is up against the AFls
As it's te only competitor in the same ballpark.

& isnt it amazing that there's not a peep out of you about your beloved AFLOL renogiating a contract .with reports saying they are going to take a hit on the rights

Where's the outrage at GIl the dill "GIVING CH7" money.

I suspect you like most brainwashed afl fans won't say a word against the beloved leader .

you seem to be far far more fixated on the afl than me lol. I don't give sht what they get, As I don’t follow afl, beyond using it as a bar to judge our deal by.

You asked me a hypothetical question, I gave you a hypothetical answer. If you don’t want the answer don’t ask the fcking question!

colly

Juniors
I know some like to compare the NRL unfavourably to the AFL and the haircut taken with NRL TV rights so far, but it isn't rosey for the AFL, even talks of contraction:
So maybe Perth expansion wont be worth cost. The AFL costs are 70 million. Much better for NRL to start a semi pro Australian comp on wages/ and include the pacific. This comp could play one game a round against NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
“V’landys has locked away digital rights,”
Wtf? they were never unlocked. What it should say is Vlandys didn’t sacrifice the games future by giving away the digital rights when he gave away a couple of hundred million $’s.

““The NRL clubs will get substantially more than they were under the last deal,” V’landys says.”

So the game is losing 20-25% media revenue and clubs are getting more? Lol I wonder where that money will come from? Maybe he can get rid of refs all together?

The_Wookie

Bench
Has Marvel been independently valued? Or is it just an assumed value based on what the AFL says?

I'm curious because we've just built a 300m stadium in Western Sydney, and about to build a 800m stadium in Central Sydney, both of which are vastly more modern and no one is talking about their value.

All anyone is talking about is the repay timeframe, which in the case of BankWest appears to be 30 years.

That's for a stadium with similar year round tenancy and multi function e.g. music concerts.

$1b seems a stretch for Marvel to me.

Lacks a couple of things - I think Marvels land value is higher. Its llike hundreds of metres from the city centre for example. I believe its also on a larger land footprint. And as i mentioned before the existing undergound car park structures

“The land would be worth a minimum of $900 million and could be worth as much as $1.3 billion, depending on the desired configuration a developer sees fit,” senior CBRE director Mark Wizel told the Herald Sun.

Wizel said land in the Melbourne CBD over the past year had sold for an average of $20,000 per sqm.

“Etihad sits on 7.5 hectares — so even at half that rate the stadium would be worth $750 million.

“It really is an extremely exciting proposition because of its scale.

“Suddenly you’ve got this incredibly positioned piece of real estate that adjoins a massive train station, surrounded by development up to New Quay, Waterfront City and Harbour Town — it’s quite incredible when you think about it.”

Etihad’s sizeable underground car park was a major attraction to potential developers, he said.

“One of the most significant costs and risks of any development is that of basement car parking, when you’re talking about the scale in which the car park exists at the current stadium it’s clear to see why this would be factored in as a major positive from any future developer” Wizel said

“To undertake just the car parking works that are there today could cost around $100 million, which is a cost saving passed straight to the developer not to mention the risk that this takes out of the project.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...m/news-story/b41aa166e10848403d2dc39893410fab

Cactus

Juniors
“V’landys has locked away digital rights,”
Wtf? they were never unlocked. What it should say is Vlandys didn’t sacrifice the games future by giving away the digital rights when he gave away a couple of hundred million $’s.

Hyperbole to extreme there PR.

you seem to be far far more fixated on the afl than me lol. I don't give sht what they get, As I don’t follow afl, beyond using it as a bar to judge our deal by.

You asked me a hypothetical question, I gave you a hypothetical answer. If you don’t want the answer don’t ask the fcking question!
Well why don't you wait to see what happens with the afl deal instead of continually ranting about PVL & the NRL deal .
You go on & on everyday about how bad it is yet you then post the above .
Which highlights that it's bullshit
Or you hate PVL that much you can't help but post negative shit.

& I asked where would we get the $$ from for a court battle

I await the answer

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well why don't you wait to see what happens with the afl deal instead of continually ranting about PVL & the NRL deal .
You go on & on everyday about how bad it is yet you then post the above .
Which highlights that it's bullshit
Or you hate PVL that much you can't help but post negative shit.

& I asked where would we get the $$ from for a court battle

I await the answer

maybe the $250mill we borrowed? An equally fair question is where do you think Ch9 would get the Money from given their current precarious financial position? Especially given the only thing they had to win was not having the countries most watched sport in their pocket.

taipan

Referee
that’s a long rant lol.
To your first point, yes there is no reason if nine tried to negate the contract and it endeD up in court why the season couldn’t continue. No doubt fox would be happy to show all games and I’d suggest it would be very likely tha a court would rule in nrl’s favour with an interim order for nine to show games whilst the contract is sorted out. But it’s a hypothetical,so nothing but opinion from us both so a bit of a pointless question really.

yes the worlds gone to sht, yes the contract should be negotiated this year due to disruption in delivery, no nrl shouldn’t feel any responsibility for the rise or fall of nine or fox’s profit margins over the next 7 years.

Ever thought the NRL is feeling some responsibility to its clubs players, members and fans.Ensuring the code has financial certainty on which to plan ahead.Now V'Landys is pushing ahead for a 2nd Brisbane side.There is talk of the AFL extending their ch7 deal for another 2 years, something to do with financial certainty.And looking at cuts in their deals.

You should listen to people who deal with major financial issues within this
country.Business people, media business pundits,Govt advisers, the RBA, the WTO, the continuing frightening list of companies shutting down, cutting back ,people out of work who will never get a decent paying job back, the economic issues with China our major trading partner, the media print radio and television all struggling, automobile sales horrendous, charitable organisations being swamped for assistance.
Had Janine Perret on ABC TV Friday night, a well respected financial commentator for many years in the media.
She stated to the effect _don't think once this pandemic is over all the skies will be blue.Because after the late 20th Century recession and the GFC 2008 ,it took quite a number of years to get back to any normality, and this situation is far, far worse.The employment situation is far far worse than then.China then recovered quickly, and they have not taken the hit that exists now.
Federal Govt has a $50bn debt already,Sate Govt has cancelled the ANZ rebuild.

Yet you sit back and believe nah, this situation is no worse than what transpired before, and a code which has no assets, has commitments to management ,480 players and their staff and hundreds of thousands of their fans, can just wait until the skies may clear (whenever) and play hard ball with broadcasters that are already on the a*se of their pants.Let's keep everyone guessing so we cannot commit to expansion for example to Brisbane, and keep players uncertain of their financial future after 2022.

Fox got a long term deal, we got $1bn over 5 years.It sure as hell wasn't going to be more, if we waited til end 2021when deals had to be made latest.Even ch9 by not extending have ,stated they are concerned about the future in 2023.

Seriously you carry on ,like you're living in a bubble on Heard Island with a flock of Emperor Penguins.No world news, no Oz news available.

BTW 9 had legal advice also ,they had the grounds to re negotiate the contract.You understand legal costs or do you like the ARU story where Folau cost them a huge sum for legal fees.Also 7 had no interest in the NRL, as earlier indicated, with their intention to extend the AFL deal.There was SFA competitive tensions ,because the competitors were uncompetitive.

Latest posts