What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should We Bring Back The Draw

Should We Bring Back The Draw

• Yes

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters

skot

Juniors
I believe it should go but I am interested in reading the comments of the forumites & the commentators last night especially Gus. GP was introduced into NRL in 2003 after QLD won the SOO series in 2002 due to the fact that it was the previous winner in 2001. The games were 1 each and the decider was 18-18 so QLD retained the title. There were calls from all number of people for GP.....just because we had one drawn series since 1980. Bennett hated the idea of GP..always has publicly stated it but says that if that is the rule then his teams like all other teams must play by it...for good or bad. Now last night we have a GP that many believe was a dud ref call and went the Broncos way...win some lose some.

Would this be a conversation if it had gone Tigers way ?

Going by the NRL's logic, they'll scrap golden point and bring in a Duckworth-Lewis kind of system where no one knows who the winner is until after the match.

Nightward

Juniors
The final decision ultimately matters less than the fact that for the rest of the game the referees failed comprehensively to do their job. Had they held both teams to the rules there would have more than likely been a result, one way or the other. I feel that under the circumstances and according to the rules there was reason to give the penalty, but really if that's the standard you're going to apply you need to be consistent as similar plays were being let go both ways all night long. The time to rigourously apply the rules was well before golden point.

Attacking the Broncos is senseless and risible. This issue is the same as it's always been- poor decision-making and leadership from the NRL that winds up screwing the teams and fans down the line.And instead of fixing the problem, they trust to the fans tearing into each other to provide a smokescreen and then that people will forget and move on.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I believe it should go but I am interested in reading the comments of the forumites & the commentators last night especially Gus. GP was introduced into NRL in 2003 after QLD won the SOO series in 2002 due to the fact that it was the previous winner in 2001. The games were 1 each and the decider was 18-18 so QLD retained the title. There were calls from all number of people for GP.....just because we had one drawn series since 1980. Bennett hated the idea of GP..always has publicly stated it but says that if that is the rule then his teams like all other teams must play by it...for good or bad. Now last night we have a GP that many believe was a dud ref call and went the Broncos way...win some lose some.

Would this be a conversation if it had gone Tigers way ?

Excellent question

THE CHAMP

First Grade
To answer the op YES.

Now if someone could ask the same question to greenburg. If the answer is no the very next question should be why the f**k not? I want to hear the merkin explain that.

Saxon

Bench
To answer the op YES.

Now if someone could ask the same question to greenburg. If the answer is no the very next question should be why the f**k not? I want to hear the merkin explain that.
Apparently it makes it more exciting for the fans

Nightward

Juniors
To answer the op YES.

Because the media, IIRC including Phil Gould who now hates it because it's never gone in his favour, went on a crusade about it following drawn Origin games and series. And the NRL always bows to the whims of the Sydney media.

I can understand it for finals games and the grand final, since these days a replay isn't really possible. But for everything else, including Origin, if the scores are level at the end of 80 minutes then the game should be over.

colly

Juniors
Would you like to see the draw brought back if scores are level after 80 (regular season games)?

Personally I'm over golden point and the style of play it produces. More importantly I don't believe it's fair that the losing teams misses out on the potentially vital point it has earnt. I would be happy if they went back to a draw and each team got a point
Keep the way it is The golden point winner gets 1.5 points loser 0.5 points. If like today game scores are equal 1 point each. In regards to 1.5 and 0.5 points they add to 2 competition points, so no change. That 1.5 or 0.5 points reflect better towards what occurred that game day and so at the end those points will make a difference on the competition table.