What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board to meet on June 16th

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
750K!!! I dead set thought they were signing him because they were penny pinching...
The entire board should be hung, drawn and quartered and have their limbs placed at the four corners of the Kogarah city council boundary as a warning against gross incompetence!

Makes a mockery of all the media speculation that "poor" SGI can't afford to sack Mary and bring in another coach- the Board, or at least the southern privatised part of it, seems to have created the mess so they can fix it- Bruce Gordon is rumoured to be worth $800M-if this isn't the crisis that requires him to dip into his or his company's funds, what would that crisis look like?

piesplusreturns

Juniors
Yes, as many on here put shit on the Leagues club, it has turned around the past 5 years. Not a great club mind you but making money. As i said before the numskulls from the St George football club board get judged on the Leagues club performance, not the football club...and we can't do a thing about it !!

Are they still serving bain marie slop in the bistro?

Dragon David

First Grade
The whole issue as to where we are at after the past 6-7 years with McGregor is extremely pathetic. We have had SGI administrators/board members making pathetic decisions with blinkers on for too long.

They must not care about results. They just care to have a job, rub shoulders with one another and occasionally look at the results of what the Dragons have notched up in some of the games and say "not too bad, gee it's so good that we can have McGregor as our coach. He seems to know what he is doing" and that's that!

possm

Coach
Yeah bro,... thats the bottom line isnt it.
I hate to sound like a broke record, but I blame the board. No performance clause, a premature extension of the contract, and 5 years of results. Mary is blessed to have such a philanthropic board.
I've been saying for a very long time it is the backroom deals that keep Mary, Millward, Craig Young, Dean Young and others in their jobs.

In my opinion, if the Saint George Illawarra Football Club had voting members who could vote for Board Membership, most of our problems would disappear. Yes, SGI management could be held accountable for actions, performance and decisions.

TruSaint

Referee
I've been saying for a very long time it is the backroom deals that keep Mary, Millward, Craig Young, Dean Young and others in their jobs.

In my opinion, if the Saint George Illawarra Football Club had voting members who could vote for Board Membership, most of our problems would disappear. Yes, SGI management could be held accountable for actions, performance and decisions.

Agree.

Sadly this voting and transparency issue has been debated here for years. The way the Club is structured its nigh impossible for true fair elections.

possm

Coach
I hope the board has already made their mind up. June 16th cannot come any sooner.

Dean Young or Matt Head likely interim coach and assistants. Flanno may get start next year pending on NRL. Best outcome i.m.o.
which also helps with club $ for this season.
I'd say get away from these 'old boy' appointments and go for Sheppard as interim head coach with Flanagan as assistant coach.

Dean Yung can assume the role of Matt Heads assistant with the Canterbury Cup side.

piesplusreturns

Juniors

I wonder if it's something PVL could look into eventually.

Gareth67

First Grade
What was the salary cap over the last 5 years ? To be fair deduct a year for his 2nd full season and make it 4 . Whatever the total is equates to just how much money the club has pussed down the drain by continuing with this chap in the coaching role .

The buck stops with the board - they and they alone have continually approved Mary’s extensions , with the apparent blessing of those who control the purse strings - aka Gordon .

I don’t blame McGregor for not being able to coach as infuriating as it may be , however he did not approve the extensions , those who hold the keys in the corridors of power did. But we cannot do a thing about those mongrels .

As said by others and also in today’s Tele’s those gentlemen only need to have a phone conference to make the decision , but once again they will not move 1 mm. on such an issue as this - the termination of a coach without the permission of the Gordon’s .

So do they continue on as they have and leave this in the ‘ too hard basket ‘ and allow him to see out his contract ? If so then that’s more money gone down the gurgler - as well as our ever diminishing array of talent that will continue to walk on to greener pastures.

Is it not stunning to think that those of the board believe that they are and have been doing a wonderful job ?

Rant over . :triumph:

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, with the attention now on McGregor, the focus and commentary should now be firmly on the Board. Highlighting the fact they have overseen this trainwreck and in particular signing off on McGregors 2yr extention last year at the reported $$$. The decreasing #'s of memberships, etc will severly impact their 'noses in the trough'.

The more attention now thrown at the board the more they will go into preservation mode, with McGregorvthe scapegoat. Preservation or friendship which one will come first?

HenryTatana

Juniors
I'm sure the only reason the board is meeting is that someone has determined that pizza's will be delivered into the office that day. As if these spineless merkins would be able to make an actual decision.
Board meeting on June 16 which happens to be a Tuesday. And what’s so special about Tuesdays? Tight Arse Tuesday of course.

Gareth67

First Grade
They , the board remind me so much of the NewYork Yacht Club . Remember back in ‘ 83 when Australia ( Alan Bond etc. ) took the America’s Cup in the sporting boil over of the century ?

I believe that we were down 6 to 1 and with our winged keel came roaring back to win the series . The N.Y.Y.C. club protested just about every race that the Aussies won , but the icing on the cake was the look of absolute dejection and disgust on their faces that our boys had not only the better yacht , but also were superior yachtsmen.

I will never forget their faces as they came back in their small cruiser , the members of the club - the epitome of no class , no morals .

I could say - does it sound familiar ? The answer would be no , as unlike the NYYC members they at least showed their faces , whereas our board are like the invisible man .

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
What was the salary cap over the last 5 years ? To be fair deduct a year for his 2nd full season and make it 4 . Whatever the total is equates to just how much money the club has pussed down the drain by continuing with this chap in the coaching role .

The buck stops with the board - they and they alone have continually approved Mary’s extensions , with the apparent blessing of those who control the purse strings - aka Gordon .

I don’t blame McGregor for not being able to coach as infuriating as it may be , however he did not approve the extensions , those who hold the keys in the corridors of power did. But we cannot do a thing about those mongrels .

As said by others and also in today’s Tele’s those gentlemen only need to have a phone conference to make the decision , but once again they will not move 1 mm. on such an issue as this - the termination of a coach without the permission of the Gordon’s .

So do they continue on as they have and leave this in the ‘ too hard basket ‘ and allow him to see out his contract ? If so then that’s more money gone down the gurgler - as well as our ever diminishing array of talent that will continue to walk on to greener pastures.

Is it not stunning to think that those of the board believe that they are and have been doing a wonderful job ?

Rant over . :triumph:

SaintPauli

Juniors
I'd say get away from these 'old boy' appointments and go for Sheppard as interim head coach with Flanagan as assistant coach.

Dean Yung can assume the role of Matt Heads assistant with the Canterbury Cup side.
Yes agreed Possm as these guys are already on the books for the remainder year.

My biggest issue is how the media out
there are saying Dragons have major Cashflow issues. Where is WIN in all this? Why would they buy into Dragons and not spend money when necessary? Like sacking an incompetent coach or getting a coaching director etc?

Latest posts