What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan or Bennett

FlameThrower

Bench
IMO the boards choice and the dark horse here is Fitzgibbon, a junior, living locally still but plying his trade at the Roosters...could be available in 2021 based on an early release from his contract...If Mcgregor goes early which is really on the cards now w looming board meeting then Shepherd or Head may take over till the end of year..
No to another Rookie. Especially one within the unlimited resources of Roosters..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No to another Rookie. Especially one within the unlimited resources of Roosters..
From memory in recent history we had David Waite (experienced) made the GF, Farrer (inexperienced) nothing, Brown (rookie) nothing, Bennett (experienced) GF win, Chinless (rookie) nothing, Mary (rookie) nothing. I see a pattern here...How is it that our once mighty club has had an experienced coach for a total of 5 years in the last 21-22 years? Is there another club that has had so many rookies?

FlameThrower

Bench
From memory in recent history we had David Waite (experienced) made the GF, Farrer (inexperienced) nothing, Brown (rookie) nothing, Bennett (experienced) GF win, Chinless (rookie) nothing, Mary (rookie) nothing. I see a pattern here...How is it that our once mighty club has had an experienced coach for a total of 5 years in the last 21-22 years? Is there another club that has had so many rookies?
Not only experienced but also someone who will demand discipline and toughness. We need a hard tough coach to get that back. Our team is a soft and teams just walk all over us....

BBTB

Juniors
Shepherd to coach.
Flanagan assistant.
Mary.. Gone...
Flanagan & Shepherd
Premiership winning

blacksafake

First Grade
To answer the question it’s Flanno for me. Love Wayne but as I stated in a previous post imo there’s some negatives if we go back to Wayne such as his age which can come with health issues & my main concern is he comes in has a complete clean out then moves on or his health deteriorates & we’re back to where we were when he was last here. Some coaches-Bellamy,Robinson,Dessie,Stuart just have a win at all costs mentality & I think Flanno falls into this category. Heaven knows we need a change in mentality.

BLM01

First Grade
Would you rather the NRL relax the ban on Flanno and have him take over say round 6 signed to a 3 year deal or let Mary see out the year which is a nothing year anyway imo and sign up Bennett for 2021? I personally would prefer Bennett as I believe he has the patience to get the most out of our juniors and also has the pulling power to get us some decent players. Ultimately I would like Shep or Matt Head to take over for the year while we await Bennett. Thoughts?
If it is down to those 2 then Flanagan
But Bellamy should be the target..
Imagine how many sprays, swearing and broken items in the coach box that would apply until Bellamy finally got the squad he wanted....putting up with our lot on the field

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Can we afford Bennett is the big question? He won't come cheap.

As others have mentioned today, a payout to McGregor severley hampers our coaching cap for this year and 2021.

Solution (maybe):
Lobby the NRL to reduce Flannos ban and allow him to be head coach in 2021. Bennett employed as 'overseer', basically an executive position outside of the coaching ranks. Yet, he would still have an impact or say on coaching etc. Therefore, Flanno would be head coach for a time with Bennett as his boss. This may appease the NRL more.
If McGregor is sacked (soon), then Shep takes the reigns until this all goes down.

IMO, however, this is not an ideal situation but one born out of incompetence from our Board and former CEO's. It should never come down to this.

I still say a fresh start is required anf the most credentialed candidate is Shaun Wane. No more rookies, no more jobs for 'old boys'.

possm

Coach
Would you rather the NRL relax the ban on Flanno and have him take over say round 6 signed to a 3 year deal or let Mary see out the year which is a nothing year anyway imo and sign up Bennett for 2021? I personally would prefer Bennett as I believe he has the patience to get the most out of our juniors and also has the pulling power to get us some decent players. Ultimately I would like Shep or Matt Head to take over for the year while we await Bennett. Thoughts?
I don't think Bennett is available.

My preference is for the NRL to relax it's the ban on Flanagan and for Sheppard to be appointed interim coach until Flanagan becomes available.

Walpole

Juniors
I cannot for the life of me understand why people want Flanagan as the head coach.

A bloke who was heavily involved in the doping of his players, banned from the game, broke the conditions of his ban and then was de-registered as a coach.

There are plenty of coaches out there who could do a better job than our current goose. I'd prefer us to have a bit of dignity in who we choose.

Old Timer

Coach
I cannot for the life of me understand why people want Flanagan as the head coach.

A bloke who was heavily involved in the doping of his players, banned from the game, broke the conditions of his ban and then was de-registered as a coach.

There are plenty of coaches out there who could do a better job than our current goose. I'd prefer us to have a bit of dignity in who we choose.
Agree 100%.

For some unknown reason people want to bring a known cheat and liar into the most important position in our football club.

Our club seems to have lost all pride and takes decisions (roster & coaches) on the basis that anything better than what we have is therefore acceptable.

That logic managed to get us so far down the table of respectability that the scum that floats on top of the sewer we now live in is looked upon as an upgrade.

Pride, integrity & accountability is what will make us into a side we can be proud of and Flanno doesn't bring that to the table.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It was reported recently on radio, that Wayne Bennett will fully honour his contract with Souths and will not leave the club any earlier. JD takes over in 2022 as head coach.

Flanno is still under NRL ban irrespective of any wishful thinking within the media ranks.

If it comes down to lack of Finances, then I’m sure Head, Young or Shepard could fill in as interim coach for the remainder of the 2020 claytons year. The club should then advertise & interview to attract the best available candidate with reputation & a record of rebuilding and success. I still believe Craig Fitzgibbon could & would be an ideal candidate to a introduce a fresh approach based on the Roosters structures.

TruSaint

Referee
It was reported recently on radio, that Wayne Bennett will fully honour his contract with Souths and will not leave the club any earlier. JD takes over in 2022 as head coach.

Flanno is still under NRL ban irrespective of any wishful thinking within the media ranks.

If it comes down to lack of Finances, then I’m sure Head, Young or Shepard could fill in as interim coach for the remainder of the 2020 claytons year. The club should then advertise & interview to attract the best available candidate with reputation & a record of rebuilding and success. I still believe Craig Fitzgibbon could & would be an ideal candidate to a introduce a fresh approach based on the Roosters structures.

Coffs, mate I can recall Bennett saying he would see out his contract at Brisbane, and then within weeks the shitfight between he and Seibold started.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Coffs, mate I can recall Bennett saying he would see out his contract at Brisbane, and then within weeks the shitfight between he and Seibold started.
Yes Tru, but the Broncos really wanted to sack Bennett and in the end it became untenable situation for both parties.
I cannot see Maxamus Crowe allowing Wayne to walk out a year ahead of his 3 year contract. He still attracts corporate power & sponsorship to the organisation.

TruSaint

Referee
Yes Tru, but the Broncos really wanted to sack Bennett and in the end it became untenable situation for both parties.
I cannot see Maxamus Crowe allowing Wayne to walk out a year ahead of his 3 year contract. He still attracts corporate power & sponsorship to the organisation.

You may be right mate.
Im not so sure that Wayne is keen to stay on, and he usually gets his way.

Lets see what pans out bro.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Agree

Wittenberg

Juniors
Always thought Flanagan was a grub, have not seen or heard anything that would change my mind and he certainly has not had much impact on the standard of our defence even though I know it is early days. Anyone at the moment would be better than Mary but we can’t afford to be driven by desperation and sign another Steve Price. Affording a quality coach is our biggest hurdle and that will make it extremely hard. Fitzgibbon may have to be a serious contender because not too many established coaches would consider coming to our club given how much of a basket case we have become. There is no doubt that for some time we will have to pay overs to attract players. Personally I’d rather pay overs to get a good coach and rely on our juniors. All in all I think the Mary years will leave a legacy that will see us struggle for at least three years, maybe more. Bleak outlook I know but when Mary goes at least we can hope to slowly rebuild this club again.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Walpole
I think some people want success and don't care how they get it

Dragonsamy

Bench

While I agree with what you have said re Fitzgibbon.
Are you sure he want to leave the roosters?

Latest posts