What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Just to remind a few on here, if you sack your coach his payout comes out of the coaches salary cap. Then your next coach's wage also comes out of the same cap.
I would say that's why they "don't have the money". They don't have the space in the coaches cap.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes , but how ironical that 90% of reporters who ate up his excuses are now wised up. This has come about by them putting the microscope under him and truly analyzing his work. Hooper would never had noticed his irregular team selections last year. He how acknowledges the past 6 years has been bad , no way he would have last year. Same goes for Webster , he really put the knife in on Mondays ch9 footy talk. He was sucked in to the excuses last year as well.

The only good thing is i'm looking at the club not issuing a statement as a good sign. The decision has been made already but if thats true why not flick him now ? You would think WIN paying out the impostor would be petty cash for them, wasn't that the good news when they took 50% of our club : they would bring the luxury of a multi national company finances to us ? ( but turned out Andrew wanted a new toy )
Dont be fooled...They have wised up only because someone has led them to believe a huge story potentially brewing.from within and as they do they just join the chorus....
Not us whingeing unrelentless fans uinfortunately who just have too high expectations with winning a GF every year and cant see the injuries and JDB distractions Mc0 had to contend with apparently.
If there was journos rocking the boat last year it was Soward & Rothfield but only a little bit.
most journos could say after last year was he would be under pressure to make the 8 and start well as were a few others
Why were they not singing out loud last year. What 3 games...and now they decide to get a microscope out..no way
Its great I love it and about time....supporters being doing it for 4 years
His great playing mates...well they will stick solid

BLM01

First Grade
Just to remind a few on here, if you sack your coach his payout comes out of the coaches salary cap. Then your next coach's wage also comes out of the same cap.
I would say that's why they "don't have the money". They don't have the space in the coaches cap.
Are you sure.coaches have a salary cap?..I dont think so...but happy to be proved wrong!

BLM01

First Grade
Just read Andrew Webster's article in the SMH stating the Dragons don't have the money to pay out Mary. If this is the absolute truth, the Board should start a Go Fund Me, "Sack Mary" page. There would be no shortage of supporters willing to dig into their own pockets for $100 in the hope of ending the misery inflicted on them since mid-2014. An era of bizarre selections which favour players in the twilight of their careers ahead of exciting young players, abysmal bench selection and management, limited game plans and embarrassing press conferences which heap pathetic excuses one on top of another.
You got to ask with Win having 50% hold...why they dont have he funds?
Or is it a case they dont want to throw the money away for nothing

LINESPEED

Juniors
That means Go Dogs on Monday.

Not a cent out of my pocket. WIN, the clubs, the board, they made this mess, they pay to fix it or face the consequences. I'm on a full boycott of any Dragons membership, merchandise, etc. I only got an nrl.com subscription this year because of the lockdown, not to follow this disaster.

In fact, only Gofundme I'll pay out for is a shipping container that before the Dogs game Monday, Sack Mary operatives stuff Mary in and ship off to Sibera. By the time the prick gets back the Dragons should get a few wins in .

Well the media seems to be really enjoying the Dragons’ weekly ‘battle of the cellardwellers’

& coaching ‘disaster duels’

...& we are the Bookies’ front runners (well $1.90 each) in both. Nice to be in front of something though I guess

... even if it is the firing squad

Ryan Webb
On Your
Day 58

You certainly jumped from the frying pan ....

Nevertheless you might not be needing to fork out for Millward for much longer
... as recruitment seems dead in the water (happy days eh Possm!)

- what with Suli giving you the bird for less coin FFS

(& it’s the tip of the iceberg attitudinally in regards to elite players’ view of the Good Ship Gordon Enterprise steaming full ahead to Bermuda)

Noone’s coming Andrew,

R U listening ol’ Illawarra mate?

Distress call unheard?
And there’s no Carpathia out there.

There can be NO rescue, rebuilding or renewal with McFuc/ked -

That was the message

You don’t seem to be aware of the dire illogicality of retaining a ‘coach’ who disincentivises recruitment
(among a host of other things)

Oh you’ll hear the odd tap on the door from lost souls looking for a feed as they seek out McCharity
& the ‘Selection-Without-Form’ soup kitchen

.... & sadly we hear that Lucky’s got a therapist to help him recover from the Waterboy’s mind bending straightjacketed asylum

You know that halftime head down silent room of the demoralised
that was all over your now out-of-control & turned Media

Anyway, no doubt Reuben’s had a chat in Suli’s ear about your mate, eh Andrew?
And probably told he’d end up on the usual wing or bench, so Turnstile could be accommodated yet again at No3

And on it goes
The self-abuse

PS
Surely there’s a cartoonist in our ranks?
This is Gold
Where’s Leunig FFS?

PPS
Time to chuck Webby a lifebuoy V’landys
...or you really will have an unmarketable two-tier competition on you hands?

Last edited:
Are you sure.coaches have a salary cap?..I dont think so...but happy to be proved wrong!
I wasn't sure how it worked, then I read this article. Unless the rules have changed, which may have happened, it looks like they are. The article is from 2018

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/winning-starts-monday-nrl-coaches-get-extra-job-security/

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs officials may have avoided playing this season with up to $1 million less than rival clubs for football department spending by parting ways with Des Hasler last September.

While the Bulldogs could still be forced to pay $1 million to Hasler if he succeeds in legal action against the club, the amount won't be included in the new NRL football department salary cap.

However, any coach sacked this year will have his wages or any financial settlement counted as part of the club's $5.7 million ceiling on football department expenditure, along with the cost of hiring a replacement.

In addition, clubs who exceed the football department salary cap will be liable for a 37 per cent luxury tax on the amount they have overspent.

As a result, the football department cap is set to provide NRL coaches greater job security than ever before.

In the three years since the AFL introduced a football department salary cap, only two coaches have been sacked while under contract – Carlton's Mick Malthouse in 2015 and Brisbane's Jason Leppitsch in 2016.

Gold Coast Suns coach Rodney Eade was told at the end of last season his contract would not be renewed, while Paul Roos handed over the reins to his Melbourne assistant Simon Goodwin in 2016 after deciding to retire.

The only other changes to the AFL coaching ranks since 2015 have been Don Pyke taking over at Adelaide following the death of Phil Walsh, and John Worsfield replacing James Hird at Essendon after he resigned.

In contrast, Hasler was one of four NRL coaches shown the door last season, along with Jason Taylor (Wests Tigers), Michael Maguire (South Sydney Rabbitohs) and Neil Henry (Gold Coast Titans).

henryn-170429701.jpg

Former Gold Coast Titans coach Neil Henry.:copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Up to five NRL clubs, including the Bulldogs, are already looking to cut football department spending to comply with the new salary cap, which includes all costs associated with the first-grade team, except player payments.

The Bulldogs and other big-spending clubs averaged about $8 million per year in football department expenditure – almost double that of the Titans.

The disparity among clubs is also demonstrated by the number of football department staff they employ, which ranges from 13 to 23 and averages 16 across the NRL.

This includes staff employed in:

• Coaching
  • Performance
  • Football operations
  • Medical
  • Welfare
  • Recruitment
With football department spending having increased by more than 12% per annum for the past five years, the new salary cap is intended to ensure financial sustainability for the clubs as well as provide an equalisation measure.

The cap was first mooted during negotiations for an annual grant to clubs valued at 130% of the salary cap for players, amid concerns the surplus would be absorbed by increased football department spending.

Club chairs and CEOs agreed to a 4% CPI increase for each of the next two seasons on the $5.7 million football department cap introduced this season.

If the cap had been set higher it would have had little impact on curbing costs, while a number of clubs – including Cronulla Sharks, Wests Tigers and the Titans – are expected to increase their spending.

The salaries of head coaches and all ancillary staff are included, as are training camps and operational costs, including gym equipment.

However, capital expenditure is exempt to encourage clubs to invest in high-performance facilities or centres of excellence.

The 37% luxury tax is likely to increase in coming seasons as breaches in the AFL attract a fine equating to 75% of the amount by which a club has exceeded the football department cap.

Unlike the AFL model, clubs voted against distributing the luxury tax imposed for breaches of the football department salary cap among rival clubs.

The move is expected to save the clubs about $10 million per season but penalties for breaches will be phased in gradually until 2020 to give the big spenders time to adjust.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Dont be fooled...They have wised up only because someone has led them to believe a huge story potentially brewing.from within and as they do they just join the chorus....
Not us whingeing unrelentless fans uinfortunately who just have too high expectations with winning a GF every year and cant see the injuries and JDB distractions Mc0 had to contend with apparently.
If there was journos rocking the boat last year it was Soward & Rothfield but only a little bit.
most journos could say after last year was he would be under pressure to make the 8 and start well as were a few others
Why were they not singing out loud last year. What 3 games...and now they decide to get a microscope out..no way
Its great I love it and about time....supporters being doing it for 4 years
His great playing mates...well they will stick solid

I hope you’re on the money BLM01 with your posting yesterday

....”potentially brewing” we’ve heard many times over the years
...and some journos have already seemingly backed off on a sacking or significant announcement

- with now weasel commentary like “external pressure ...(rather than) internal pressure” being the truth lol

( Code for the whinging Forum & a journo pumping up a rumour?)

So the cap excuse story sees the dissemblers, deflection apparatchiks & Andrew standing steadfastly by their man
....and the maintenance of the cesspit?

Yet again

And yet again Andrew, how many times do we have to reiterate:
You can’t rebuild this team without recruitment
And you can’t have recruitment with your despised mate

Nowhere for you to go
Is there?

....unless of course you see sense
And pick up the phone to V’landys
Move McFatcat sideways to the cones or paint bucket
& I’m sure Flanno will see out the current season as coach on his current salary

... give or take a paper bag or two
& a chat to Establishment Nick

Last edited:

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Media are useless , whilst he may be at fault they have been trotting out the line that Millard in charge of retention to sugarcoat the issues.
The only reason he was in charge was because mcdud was failing as coach and “It would allow him to concentrate on coaching “. And hence they extended his deal further .

‘if anything shows he can’t coach as he would “supposedly “ have more time to devote to coaching than other NRL coaches

Banjo2014

Juniors
McGregor just dropped players from the squad to play the Bulldogs on Monday.

You are trying to tell me, that the owner of the club cannot drop McGregor to reserve grade.

Keep him on the books, pay him, as long as he has nothing to do with the first grade squad.

Guys, my missus and I have lived in the States for a long time - cut throat to say the least.

It is very easy - your services are no longer required - we have a reserve grade coach - promote him.

UNLESS McGregor has a brief on someone influential, I see no reason to keep him in his current position.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
McGregor just dropped players from the squad to play the Bulldogs on Monday.

You are trying to tell me that the owner of the club cannot drop McGregor to reserve grade.

Keep him on the books pay him as long as he has nothing to do with the first grade squad.

Guys, my missus and I have lived in the States for a long time - cut throat to say the least.

It is very easy - your services are no longer required - we have a reserve grade coach - promote him.

UNLESS McGregor has a brief on someone influential I see no reason to keep him in his current position
Favours and old mates act

matPORTS

Juniors
There are a number of scenarios shaping up:

Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and an interim (Young, Head or Shepherd) is installed.

Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and, subject to NRL approval, Flanno is installed.

Board meeting on 16th June determines that Mary is no longer the man for the job, however will see out the rest of 2020. Subject to NRL approval, Flanno is the man to take over in 2021.

NRL holds firm that Flanno is unable to coach until 2022. Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and an interim (Young, Head or Shepherd) is installed to see us through the next 18 months. Flanno takes over in 2022.

Board meeting on 16th June determines that Mary is no longer the man for the job, however will see out the rest of 2020. No further decisions will be made on the situation at this time, subject to a comprehensive review of the situation over the coming months and end of the current season (thus allowing the Flanno situation to play out + also determine what other options could be available to us going forward for 2021).

Board determines on 16th June that Mary has a positive future as our head coach and will be given every possible chance to prove that (in all honesty this would not surprise me in the slightest) !!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the current crop of assistants & backroom staff in our ranks are only under contract for this year...?

Personally - my thoughts are that if we can't get Flanno to take over right now, then I feel we need to still install an interim now but go to market for a new full time coach to take over in 2021 & go in a different direction altogether. Unfortunately, the decision by the board to bring Flanno in as an assistant (no doubt in big reason to try and appease any unrest among the supporter group for the terrible decision that was to extend Mary for a further two years) has backfired. The guy has got his hands tied for a number of reasons other than just his suspension. The shackles either need to be released now or he needs to be cut loose along with Mary.

I don't think we can sit in limbo for the next 18 months with an interim while we wait for Flanno to have his ban lifted.

Decisions need to be made about our roster and recruitment, which is a completely different subject altogether. Any players coming in will want to know who they're working with.

Also, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Adam Clune in the same 17 I just can't see meshing. If the club sees Clune as it's long term number 7 going forward, I think one of either Hunt or Norman need to be shopped off to other NRL clubs or the UK, and we need to bring in an astute pivot to support Clune through his early years of development. We need a James Maloney type player in that position. Could someone like Josh Reynolds play that role? I get the feeling that he is a Flanno type player (should Flanno take over) and someone whom would be good for the club in the current circumstances.

If Hunt stays to see out the remainder of his contract (as it will be very hard to cut him loose unless he wants to up and leave himself), then his role will definitely be more towards number 9 than that of a 6 or 7. Unfortunately, that then brings on some tough decisions RE: the future of McIness.

... but trying to stay on subject RE: this issue though - basically the decisions that will be required RE: our roster will need a tough operator and tough negotiator to make things happen (especially if we are negotiating early releases for our highest paid players and bringing in other players whom other clubs are trying to get off their books for as little financial penalty as possible). Mary & Millward are not capable of doing what will be required here !!

Dragon David

First Grade

Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and an interim (Young, Head or Shepherd) is installed.

Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and, subject to NRL approval, Flanno is installed.

Board meeting on 16th June determines that Mary is no longer the man for the job, however will see out the rest of 2020. Subject to NRL approval, Flanno is the man to take over in 2021.

NRL holds firm that Flanno is unable to coach until 2022. Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and an interim (Young, Head or Shepherd) is installed to see us through the next 18 months. Flanno takes over in 2022.

Board meeting on 16th June determines that Mary is no longer the man for the job, however will see out the rest of 2020. No further decisions will be made on the situation at this time, subject to a comprehensive review of the situation over the coming months and end of the current season (thus allowing the Flanno situation to play out + also determine what other options could be available to us going forward for 2021).

Board determines on 16th June that Mary has a positive future as our head coach and will be given every possible chance to prove that (in all honesty this would not surprise me in the slightest) !!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the current crop of assistants & backroom staff in our ranks are only under contract for this year...?

Personally - my thoughts are that if we can't get Flanno to take over right now, then I feel we need to still install an interim now but go to market for a new full time coach to take over in 2021 & go in a different direction altogether. Unfortunately, the decision by the board to bring Flanno in as an assistant (no doubt in big reason to try and appease any unrest among the supporter group for the terrible decision that was to extend Mary for a further two years) has backfired. The guy has got his hands tied for a number of reasons other than just his suspension. The shackles either need to be released now or he needs to be cut loose along with Mary.

I don't think we can sit in limbo for the next 18 months with an interim while we wait for Flanno to have his ban lifted.

Decisions need to be made about our roster and recruitment, which is a completely different subject altogether. Any players coming in will want to know who they're working with.

Also, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Adam Clune in the same 17 I just can't see meshing. If the club sees Clune as it's long term number 7 going forward, I think one of either Hunt or Norman need to be shopped off to other NRL clubs or the UK, and we need to bring in an astute pivot to support Clune through his early years of development. We need a James Maloney type player in that position. Could someone like Josh Reynolds play that role? I get the feeling that he is a Flanno type player (should Flanno take over) and someone whom would be good for the club in the current circumstances.

If Hunt stays to see out the remainder of his contract (as it will be very hard to cut him loose unless he wants to up and leave himself), then his role will definitely be more towards number 9 than that of a 6 or 7. Unfortunately, that then brings on some tough decisions RE: the future of McIness.

... but trying to stay on subject RE: this issue though - basically the decisions that will be required RE: our roster will need a tough operator and tough negotiator to make things happen (especially if we are negotiating early releases for our highest paid players and bringing in other players whom other clubs are trying to get off their books for as little financial penalty as possible). Mary & Millward are not capable of doing what will be required here !!
Well said matPORTS. I couldn't agree more.

Excellent.

Very well presented scenarios and deserved of some careful thought in response.

BLM01

First Grade
I wasn't sure how it worked, then I read this article. Unless the rules have changed, which may have happened, it looks like they are. The article is from 2018

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/winning-starts-monday-nrl-coaches-get-extra-job-security/

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs officials may have avoided playing this season with up to $1 million less than rival clubs for football department spending by parting ways with Des Hasler last September.

While the Bulldogs could still be forced to pay $1 million to Hasler if he succeeds in legal action against the club, the amount won't be included in the new NRL football department salary cap.

However, any coach sacked this year will have his wages or any financial settlement counted as part of the club's $5.7 million ceiling on football department expenditure, along with the cost of hiring a replacement.

In addition, clubs who exceed the football department salary cap will be liable for a 37 per cent luxury tax on the amount they have overspent.

As a result, the football department cap is set to provide NRL coaches greater job security than ever before.

In the three years since the AFL introduced a football department salary cap, only two coaches have been sacked while under contract – Carlton's Mick Malthouse in 2015 and Brisbane's Jason Leppitsch in 2016.

Gold Coast Suns coach Rodney Eade was told at the end of last season his contract would not be renewed, while Paul Roos handed over the reins to his Melbourne assistant Simon Goodwin in 2016 after deciding to retire.

The only other changes to the AFL coaching ranks since 2015 have been Don Pyke taking over at Adelaide following the death of Phil Walsh, and John Worsfield replacing James Hird at Essendon after he resigned.

In contrast, Hasler was one of four NRL coaches shown the door last season, along with Jason Taylor (Wests Tigers), Michael Maguire (South Sydney Rabbitohs) and Neil Henry (Gold Coast Titans).

henryn-170429701.jpg

Former Gold Coast Titans coach Neil Henry.:copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Up to five NRL clubs, including the Bulldogs, are already looking to cut football department spending to comply with the new salary cap, which includes all costs associated with the first-grade team, except player payments.

The Bulldogs and other big-spending clubs averaged about $8 million per year in football department expenditure – almost double that of the Titans.

The disparity among clubs is also demonstrated by the number of football department staff they employ, which ranges from 13 to 23 and averages 16 across the NRL.

This includes staff employed in:

• Coaching
  • Performance
  • Football operations
  • Medical
  • Welfare
  • Recruitment
With football department spending having increased by more than 12% per annum for the past five years, the new salary cap is intended to ensure financial sustainability for the clubs as well as provide an equalisation measure.

The cap was first mooted during negotiations for an annual grant to clubs valued at 130% of the salary cap for players, amid concerns the surplus would be absorbed by increased football department spending.

Club chairs and CEOs agreed to a 4% CPI increase for each of the next two seasons on the $5.7 million football department cap introduced this season.

If the cap had been set higher it would have had little impact on curbing costs, while a number of clubs – including Cronulla Sharks, Wests Tigers and the Titans – are expected to increase their spending.

The salaries of head coaches and all ancillary staff are included, as are training camps and operational costs, including gym equipment.

However, capital expenditure is exempt to encourage clubs to invest in high-performance facilities or centres of excellence.

The 37% luxury tax is likely to increase in coming seasons as breaches in the AFL attract a fine equating to 75% of the amount by which a club has exceeded the football department cap.

Unlike the AFL model, clubs voted against distributing the luxury tax imposed for breaches of the football department salary cap among rival clubs.

The move is expected to save the clubs about $10 million per season but penalties for breaches will be phased in gradually until 2020 to give the big spenders time to adjust.
Thanks BBB

getsmarty

Immortal

matPORTS

Juniors
There is another scenario....they win against the Dogs and he is safe....sorry had to be stated....he still has supporters on the board....

They can almost cut and past from the press release post- the 2016 'review':

"The St George Illawarra Dragons want Red V Members, Partners and supporters to know they are listening, and acknowledge and accept the criticisms surrounding the NRL Team Performance (in 2019 and to date in 2020). Noting a number of factors that contributed to the team’s performance and results (in 2019 and to date in 2020), the Board of Directors believe Paul McGregor (still) has a positive future as an NRL Coach and (will remain) the Dragons Head Coach (until the end of 2021)".

I've taken the time to re-read most of this thread. I still feel sick reading that press release - and really 2016 was no where near as bad as where things are right now (but mere acknowledgement of such fact would just be acceptance of mediocrity)!

Additionally, some of the very earliest posts in here were stating that "we can't afford to pay out his contract". I don't understand. It bewilders me. How this can even be possible?

Last edited:

Latest posts