What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

flippikat

Bench
Brisbane Bite (or Brisbane Snakebite)

Mascot: Brown Snake

Colours: Orange, Brown (white & black as trim/secondary)

Would also work (kinda) with red & black I guess. But Cleveland Browns inspired colours would be unique to the NRL - especially as the Tigers under-use orange in their jerseys.

Diesel

Coach
The Bombers could be a very good bid, but the name is terrible and it’s turning people off. It reminds me of AFL and that’s all I know of the bid

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the NRL were smart they'd realise that unlike the other bids the Bombers are probably very malleable, so if the NRL wanted to they could go to them and more or less mould them into what the NRL sees as the perfect bid tomorrow.

All the NRL would have to do is go to the Bombers and say 'change your brand, move south of the river and focus on that part of the city, do this, do that, etc, and then we'll give you the license' and I'd bet that the Bombers would do all of it in a heart beat if it got them a license.

It'd be a win win, the NRL would get as close to the perfect bid as possible, and the Bombers would get their license, and honestly I think that'd be the best way forward for the second Brisbane club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NRL were smart they'd realise that unlike the other bids the Bombers are probably very malleable, so if the NRL wanted to they could go to them and more or less mould them into what the NRL sees as the perfect bid tomorrow.

All the NRL would have to do is go to the Bombers and say 'change your brand, move south of the river and focus on that part of the city, do this, do that, etc, and then we'll give you the license' and I'd bet that the Bombers would do all of it in a heart beat if it got them a license.

It'd be a win win, the NRL would get as close to the perfect bid as possible, and the Bombers would get their license, and honestly I think that'd be the best way forward for the second Brisbane club.

lol the nrl has spent 12 years trying to decide if it should expand, you think they’re sophisticated enough to know what the ideal bid would look like? They should ask Ch9, they seem to be dictating terms.

jim_57

Staff member

In a way the whole "bid" thing isn't even a necessity.

If Redcliffe, Western Corridor, Bombers etc don't fit the bill or aren't willing to compromise on their 'Brand' then the NRL shouldn't accept any of them. I'm sure the NRL could put the right people in place to start their own ideal Brisbane 2 setup.

The Great Dane

First Grade
In a way the whole "bid" thing isn't even a necessity.

If Redcliffe, Western Corridor, Bombers etc don't fit the bill or aren't willing to compromise on their 'Brand' then the NRL shouldn't accept any of them. I'm sure the NRL could put the right people in place to start their own ideal Brisbane 2 setup.

They could go down that route, but there're risks to building clubs in house, for one thing it's more expensive and they carry all the risk if the club fails.

mongoose

Coach
But you want a second Brisbane team to utilise Suncorp. It needs a point of difference from the Broncos but it shouldn't be a suburban qld cup side, unless they rebrand and play out of suncorp.

flippikat

Bench
It's a good interview, Livermore seems like he knows what he's talking about and that he'd do a good job.

If it wasn't for the name the Bombers would be the most popular bid in Brisbane.

True.. but as someone else mentioned here earlier, the Bombers bid may be the most malleable as far as branding goes, with no pre-existing Qld Cup brand to run off.

I'm pretty sure the Redcliffe bid will want to use Dolphins as a brand - regardless of any colour tweaks that might be needed to differentiate from the Qld cup team and from the Dragons (as Port Adelaide did in AFL).

Similarly, the East Brisbane bid appear to be maneuvering behind the scenes to lock-in the Firebirds brand.

The Western Corridor bid seems to have gone quiet.. are they still keen on that Jagera name?

flippikat

Bench
Bombers still talking up their inclusion View attachment 44022

Good on them for still being keen, but their current branding really doesn't inspire, well.. anything!
I think Great Dane said it best above:

...and THAT is how this Bombers syndicate could leap-frog all the others.

If the NRL wants a team in red & grey, to make a south/north of the river divide with the Broncos & a reptile logo - they can do it.
If the NRL want a team in yellow & black, with no clear geographical divide & a bird logo, they can do it.
If the NRL want a team in brown & orange, with an east/west geographical split with the Broncos & a mammal logo - they can do it.

Not being tied to any existing club identity, set of colours, or district (per se) gives them a heap of flexibility.

Last edited:

Latest posts