What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

soc123_au

Staff member
Was mostly a piss take but Andrew Moore did put it to Elliott yesterday if he'd take the job if it was offered. He basically fobbed it off and made a joke of it but I suspect he'd love another go at coaching, particularly the club he played at. But he's become a bit of a punchline these days, I don't think any organisation would go down that path

Maybe not as much of a pisstake as you think. I know someone who works at the Dragons (Not football dept), apparently Matt Elliott paid a visit to the club this arvo. Make of it what you will.

SBD82

Coach
Perhaps they are in a better place - but for perspective..

Marsters - Moved to Souths and Yet to play First Grade. Is Wayne Bennett holding him back?

Robson - a hooker playing behind Cameron McInnes. Barring injury/retirement - would he ever have gotten into first grade above McInnes? More chance of Mary growing hair. To keep him would have been holding him back. Still competing with Granville for Hooker position at Cowboys and yet to establish himself.

Bird - Sharks bought him from our Juniors. Since established as a first grader and made SOO at the Sharks - playing his best football. Since moved to the Broncos and played only 17 games in 2 seasons while on a big pay packet and will miss this season also - so will be 17 games in 3 seasons. Fine player if fit but next to no return on investment. While not through insight or strategy, we've dodged a huge bullet with him.

Garrick - Established First Grade Winger at Manly since 2019. At Dragons was/would be competing with any number of other players including Nightingale, Ravalawa, Lomax, Periera, Pearson, Saab, Sailor for a first grade spot. Very reasonable argument we should have kept him in hindsight but who should we have let go instead??

Herbert - He isn't a Dragons junior, we bought him over from NZ at 17 and returned home in 2018. Regardless, he's a centre who was playing behind Lafai and Aitken at the time (who was pressing for Origin selection in 2018). Lomax was also a centre coming through then. Arguable either way to keep or allow to leave in hindsight so possibly best for him to let him go back home.

As for the "Butchered Bunch" ..

Dufty - has had more chances than Shaun Marsh and proven just as inconsistent. Fantastic player when he's on, but all too often he's been off. Is Mary at fault for that? What would you do differently?

Lomax - Given an opportunity originally on the wing then centre. He wanted to crack fullback (his own words, and with limited / no experience) and made an absolute pigs ear of his first game at #1 against the Tigers, mainly against attacking kicks. Back into a centre position now - I reckon Mary saved him from himself, and further humiliation by bringing back into centre. Has maintained a first grade position, all-be-it in a highly underwhelming side. Has been re-signed in a long term deal. What would you do differently?

Host - had been given opportunities in 2019. Can be argued he was solid at best. Competing with other backrowers in Frizell, Sims x 2, Lawrie, Fuimaono, Merrin, Ford for a first grade spot. Only my opinion - but all these are individually better than Ford has shown in his time (understanding Merrin's absence from the NRL for a while now). What would you do differently?
Is that you Mary?

Seriously though, there is a lot of “what ifs” and “could haves” with both of our lists. But the way I see it, the lack of development of one junior can point to an issue with the player.

When it is universally shithouse that’s on the coach.

In the past 5 years we have not successfully developed one player who consistently plays NRL and owns their position. Not one. And that is despite winning the interstate championship in that time.

I can’t think of another club where that is the case.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It’s got to be about money
Things were bad before, but with covid it just made it worse
They want to sack him but just can’t afford it
It's about money but it's not about them being short of a quid.

It's about making a business decision. They may have already written the season off as far as onfield success goes, but onfield success is ultimately irrelevant.

They simply don't want to cough up $1million. A wooden spoon doesn't worry them, regardless of the damage it does to the fanbase and our history.

That's the mentality. Money well before supporters. No real balance between the two is being sought.

Personally, I think it's the type of business that drives away customers and sponsors. But I'm not the one presenting a business model.

Be wary, what's happening at Saints can happen to any Club.

The_Frog

First Grade
They simply don't want to cough up $1million. A wooden spoon doesn't worry them, regardless of the damage it does to the fanbase and our history.
Precisely. With the personnel they have, the Dragons won't run last. This is a slump, we had one last year, they'll come out of it sooner or later.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The thing is no one at the Dragons wants to accept responsibility or pay the price. The Gordon family don't want to chip in financially to pay off Marys contract, while the board members should resign for agreeing to that extension.

No one wants to bite the bullet.It seems like they only care about their own self interests first, and therefore leave the club and fans a distant second.

BennyV

Referee
If it's going to cost a million to get rid of him I understand to an extent but couldn't the board just sit Mary down and say "Hey, Flanagan is now coach you're just going to sit there and be the puppet"? During the game Flanagan tells McGregor what to do all under the illusion (To Mary) of "working together". Giving Flanagan more power seems the smart move since he's won a premiership and did well with the Sharks.

Or even just demote McGregor to an assistant coach and sign a replacement. Unless they can't afford to sign a replacement in which case they are more completely f**ked than the original poster thought.
McGregor is the most self serving merkin in the league. The second he is told to step aside and let Flanno coach through him, he’d run to the NRL to let them know Flanno is breaching his ban.

He is the master of making excuses, shifting blame and throwing everyone possible under the bus.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would cost over a $million to get rid of him. At a time when clubs are haemorrhaging money is it surprising they are keeping him?

betcats

Referee
Precisely. With the personnel they have, the Dragons won't run last. This is a slump, we had one last year, they'll come out of it sooner or later.

I wouldn’t be so sure. They finished 15th last year and opened this season with 4 straight losses. They are already on track to do worse, worse than second last.

Latest posts