What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Idris 84

Juniors
Do you think the tv companies got a sneaky one over both the NRL and AFL by pushing the barrow of 'the games will get less viewers this year with no crowds'?
The NRL return game rated over 1.2 mill and so did the afl game last night apparently, these were both the highest recorded viewers in a long time, unless of course the contracts had to be stitched up prior to the first return game commencing, making the deal after a few return games would have worked better as a bargaining point for the sporting codes. In the end though probably everyone ended up on a happy medium.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Dont disagree on either point. Will it pay its own way to the point FOX will pay for it? It would require at least 50,000 new KAYO subscribers to make it worth their while (leaving aside the ignominity of paying extra to set up a rival business to your own in the same city :) )

Not sure what the magic number is in terms of Kayo subscribers, but at the moment, Fox will only have 5 exclusive Broncos games. So in Brisbane there isn't really a need for fans to subscribe to Fox, especially where 75% of Broncos games are on FTA.

Nine getting more access to the Broncos has cost the NRL more revenue from Fox. If the NRL pick the right second Brisbane team, it will create huge interest. Maybe there is a reason why the NRL want a second team in 2022, a year before the next broadcasting cycle.

If there is a huge spike in subscriptions, then the NRL could renegotiate with Fox.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure what the magic number is in terms of Kayo subscribers, but at the moment, Fox will only have 5 exclusive Broncos games. So in Brisbane there isn't really a need for fans to subscribe to Fox, especially where 75% of Broncos games are on FTA.

Nine getting more access to the Broncos has cost the NRL more revenue from Fox. If the NRL pick the right second Brisbane team, it will create huge interest. Maybe there is a reason why the NRL want a second team in 2022, a year before the next broadcasting cycle.

If there is a huge spike in subscriptions, then the NRL could renegotiate with Fox.

what makes you think fta won’t want to show the Brisbane clubs both on fta every weekend? I would if I was them.

Steel Saints

Juniors
what makes you think fta won’t want to show the Brisbane clubs both on fta every weekend? I would if I was them.

FTA every weekend unlikely as Nine only shows three games a week. Although they show four games a week, especially towards the end of the season. Plus there is other Qld sides like the Cowboys and Titans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
FTA every weekend unlikely as Nine only shows three games a week. Although they show four games a week, especially towards the end of the season. Plus there is other Qld sides like the Cowboys and Titans.

im keeping an eye on this years ratings to see just what the audience boost in Brisbane is when broncos/an other qland team are playing compared to not. I suspect it’s not that big a gap as people keep saying.

flippikat

Bench
Anyway. We need a second Brisbane team regardless of the money it will bring in from TV. If we had one over the last 15 years it would have almost killed the Lions.

If we had one over the last 15 years, it may well have stunted the Storm's success - if some of the key components of that success had signed with Brisbane 2 instead of going south.

im keeping an eye on this years ratings to see just what the audience boost in Brisbane is when broncos/an other qland team are playing compared to not. I suspect it’s not that big a gap as people keep saying.
Ch9 brought in a second Friday game in the mid-2000s to cater specifically to Brisbane and Sydney, as they knew games involving tre Broncos and Cowboys rated higher in Brisbane than ones that didn't.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Do you think the tv companies got a sneaky one over both the NRL and AFL by pushing the barrow of 'the games will get less viewers this year with no crowds'?

Most definitely.....never waste a crisis as they say.

Nine has got us right where they want us.

tri_colours

Juniors

Its a big gap when the Broncos are winning.

Nerd

Bench
You would have to think that the AFL and Fox haven't extended their deal as they can't agree on numbers. With the NRL having higher ratings than AFL on Fox I would imagine they have told the AFL that it doesn't make sense why they would pay more for a lower rating product than the NRL and therefore less subscribers. The AFL can no longer use the expansion teams line that they bring in extra value as we all now know that games involving, the Suns, Lions and GWS are ratings disasters especially when they play each other.

Yep I agree on fox & fumbles not agreeing .
It was mentioned somewhere in a media release that they said they'd overpaid last time .
The afl prob thought they could do similar this time.
The ratings numbers tell the real picture .& I don't think Rupert is stumping up with the massive $$$ this time .

taipan

Referee
Yep I agree on fox & fumbles not agreeing .
It was mentioned somewhere in a media release that they said they'd overpaid last time .
The afl prob thought they could do similar this time.
The ratings numbers tell the real picture .& I don't think Rupert is stumping up with the massive $$$ this time .

We need to bring back Smith, that will help boost the AFL deal.;)

Nein only have us til 2022, let's hope 10 comes up with the bikkies, the mere thought of more years with Nein is unbearable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can anyone explain to me the Telstra deal? They pay afl $50mill a year and for nrl $20mill a year but one of the media stories has that money going to foxtel not nrl?
who are Telstra paying?
Why are they paying more than double for afl?
Does that $20mill include coMpetition naming rights?

taipan

Referee
I checked on

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/telstra-to-lose-nrl-mobile-rights/

It appears mobile rights are separate to naming rights of the NRL, which also runs to end 2022.

It noted The NRL was holding back the mobile rights primarily to boost the exclusive rights it could offer to FTA partner Nine in upcoming renewal talks.
That is a bit confusing seeing as Nine is holding off ATM on extending from 2022.
Who knows if Nine are desperate for sporting content having the mobile rights in addition ,could give a significant to the deal.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
I checked on

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/telstra-to-lose-nrl-mobile-rights/

It appears mobile rights are separate to naming rights of the NRL, which also runs to end 2022.

It noted The NRL was holding back the mobile rights primarily to boost the exclusive rights it could offer to FTA partner Nine in upcoming renewal talks.
That is a bit confusing seeing as Nine is holding off ATM on extending from 2022.
Who knows if Nine are desperate for sporting content having the mobile rights in addition ,could give a significant to the deal.
Nine could put a Sunday ticket themselves where by the Stan App casts on to the TV, it would add "value" to their Stan pay product. NRL Says Yes. This is why it was a masterstroke to deny Foxtel from sub licensing to Telstra. ( which we did not get a direct/cash from Telstra) The whole streaming of all the games is open to Nine - if they pay the 'right price'.